IGNORED

New Canon "point and shoot" heavyweight!

Couchrocket

After reading a review on the Luminous-Landscape, I decided to give the new Canon G10 P&S camera a go.

Pretty amazing little camera w/ 14.7 "good" mega pixels, excellent sharpness. Shoots in many modes, plus completely manual. Shoots jpgs and RAW, and RAW + jpg! I made some 11x17" prints from these jpg files and they look great. Lots of detail that you can't even see on your monitor. Canon seems to have the in camera image processing down well, w/ few artifacts. I still don't like the colors Canon does "out of the camera" though. But since presets are so easy in LR, that's not much of an issue any more.

Here are a few photos I snagged while arriving in Coalinga, CA early last Friday morning for a teaching gig at the local Community College. What a wonderful surprise to see the balloons rising in still morning air and beautiful light.

424643587_R78FU-XL.jpg

424643518_McPY6-XL.jpg

424643603_hgES3-XL.jpg

424643564_KVWNr-XL.jpg

DaveTheAffable

I have the G9. I love it. All metal, put it in a little neoprene bag I have and toss it in the tank bag. I have a friend who wants to but it, and I may upgrade to the G10.

Your photos look great. Good composure, not overstaurated. I found that for most things I try to shoot at 100 asa when possible, and -1/3 exp comp. Very nice pics.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I have the G9. I love it. All metal, put it in a little neoprene bag I have and toss it in the tank bag. I have a friend who wants to but it, and I may upgrade to the G10.

Your photos look great. Good composure, not overstaurated. I found that for most things I try to shoot at 100 asa when possible, and -1/3 exp comp. Very nice pics.

I usually try to use a slower ISO if I can. I'm very happy with the G9 and don't see that the extras would be worth the cost of the trade-up (for me.) It's a tad big, and I still carry around my little 4MP elph (also all metal) to stuff in my pocket for whatever craziness that I may be getting into.

Lets_Play_Two

I usually try to use a slower ISO if I can. I'm very happy with the G9 and don't see that the extras would be worth the cost of the trade-up (for me.) It's a tad big, and I still carry around my little 4MP elph (also all metal) to stuff in my pocket for whatever craziness that I may be getting into.

dpreview.com just posted a review of the G10. The reviewer seems a little lukewarm about the changes but says the camera is still topnotch.

dpreview.com just posted a review of the G10. The reviewer seems a little lukewarm

I shoot primarily Olympus gear (E-3) and dpreview savages the 4/3 system pretty much -- so lukewarm for the Canon is a hearty endorsement in my book. I've always found DP to be in the "pixel peeper" category w/ little attention paid to the sum total of image quality on prints, or how a camera actually works in the field. Good to add their input into overall research, but I'd not base a purchase decision on anything they have to say "in particular."

I agree. I quit reading DPReview a long time ago. Half of the reviews were just way off. Fred Miranda and BH Photo and the Canon-specific site are better.

Lets_Play_Two
dpreview.com just posted a review of the G10. The reviewer seems a little lukewarm

I shoot primarily Olympus gear (E-3) and dpreview savages the 4/3 system pretty much -- so lukewarm for the Canon is a hearty endorsement in my book. I've always found DP to be in the "pixel peeper" category w/ little attention paid to the sum total of image quality on prints, or how a camera actually works in the field. Good to add their input into overall research, but I'd not base a purchase decision on anything they have to say "in particular."

My post was intended as an FYI and not an endorsement of the review. And you did truncate my statement!! :)

not an endorsement of the review

Sorry to offend... not my intention.

Intended w/ tongue in cheek re my Olympus gear, and my general disdain for dpr, as well as in contrast to the smashing reviews the G10 is getting in other places as a truly huge leap forward in overall image quality over predecessors in the class.

Intended w/ tongue in cheek re my Olympus gear, and my general disdain for dpr, as well as in contrast to the smashing reviews the G10 is getting in other places as a truly huge leap forward in overall image quality over predecessors in the class.

Stop avoiding my question!

Stop avoiding my question!

Well, truth be told... Ms. Couch now has the little Leica for use in her land use planning efforts. She fell in love w/ the 16:9 format for street scapes, etc.

And, I sneaked out and bought the new Panasonic Lumix DCM LX-3 which is the latest just released version w/the Leica lens, and now f2.0 max aperture! And OIS in the lens!!!

Better image processing engine, and still all the other features. Still the nice "tiny" genuinely shirt-pocket camera (which the Canon G10 is not). It has it's counterpart in Leica name badge(Leica D-Lux 4), but the price delta is now astronomical and tests don't show any difference, even though Leica's engine is different. Mechanicals, lens, etc. are identical. I even bought a silver one this time, rather than black. Cooler in the desert, or on the bike.

Oh, and some of the switch gear on the the LX3 is better than the Leica D-Lux 3 / Lumix LX2 predecessor, and it has a little tiny raised grip on the right hand side that I like better than the "flat" surface on the Leica version(s).

LX3_front-001.jpg

Check it out! :Cool:

DaveTheAffable
I have a G8 and I love it.

Some of my best shots have been with that camera.

Canon G8? Typo, or checking to see if we're paying attention?... :grin:

Lets_Play_Two

No offense taken!!! :)

Archived