IGNORED

pirelli diablo tires

taters

anyone have the pirelli diablo tires or know someone who has. i'm curious if they perform as well and last as long as advertized? thanks

I can't help except to point out that the Pirelli sport-touring tires are called Diablo Strada. The pure sport ones are just called Diablo. (If, like me, you are A.R., you'll want to know that there are street legal race tires called Diablo Corsa, and track-only Diablo Slick, Diablo Wet and Diablo Rain.)

I too am very interested to hear what people think about the Diablo Strada. I want to know about their performance on cold, wet pavement.

I had a set of the Pirelli Diablos on my RT last time. They stuck like glue, turned beautifully and were confidence inspiring, i.e., I felt comfortable going as fast as road conditions allowed. OTOH for the very reason that they were so good, they lasted 4300 miles.

I'm now running the Diablo Stradas. I've got about 1500 miles on them. They handle about as well as the Diablos, so I like them. I tend to ride relatively aggressively, so sticky and smooth turning are a must. I'll have to report back on mileage later. So far, so good.

Can't help with cold/wet handling, I live in sunny Kalifornia! cool.gif

Keep riding.

K^2

How are the Strada's on poor surfaces, like tar snakes, sandy or gravely roads. I'm not referring to excessive amounts of crap on the roads, just the usually mid-corner surprises. I have Diablo's on my 954 and they are a LOT more stable than the Pilot Road's on my 12ST when road conditions are less than ideal. I'm looking for a replacement and want the sure footedness of Diablo's, M1's, 012's,..., but mileage of the Roads.

John:

I'm on my 7th set of tires on the RT in a tad over 35k+ miles (Michelin Macadams, Michelin Pilot Roads, Pirelli Diablos, Metzler Z6s and now the Diablo Stradas) and it's clear that you can't have it both ways. You can have either stick/turn or mileage, but not both. I prefer staying alive, so I'll just keep shelling out for the stick/turn. thumbsup.gif

Keep riding.

K^2

That's what I figured, but was hoping... With the Strada, RoadAtack and Z6 propaganda I was hoping to eat my cake and have it too.

Guess I'll order something I know is sticky. Like you, for me sticky is better. Even if I have to change them every 4k.

My son loved the perfomance of the Diablo but didn't like the difficulty in judging the tire wear. Toward the end the treadless section in the middle was hard to read.

I've had 2 sets of Z6's on my R1100S. They work well, wore well, fairly well planted. Like most they began to develop ridges along the outside sipe/treads...then like most they fell crappy.

Now I;m using Stradas, seem O.K., but not as stable and planted feeling as the Dunlops or Z-6s. They want to fall-in very quickly, which could be a good thing or not on an RT.

Word I've heard is the Pilots have the best feel. That's what I'll try next on both the S and the RT...

I have the standard diablo tires on my Aprilia Mille-r and have not had any sliding issues, wear seems to be pretty good so far. I don't ride it super agressive or 10/10 th's because it is street riding. It usually makes the deal's gap-cherohala loop once a month, sometimes two. I may get 4-5k out of the back, i'll have to check the mileage. On the RT, I run dunlop 205's. I'll get about 7500k from a set of those with a mix of traveling and gap-cherohala type riding on the weekends. I ride it fairly quick since the roads around here allow that. I have had no slipping issues with the dunlops. They are a consistent tire, I change my own and by lining up the yellow dot to the valve stem the balance stays good and I don't have any vibration/balance issues.

YMMV

Mike

I change my own and by lining up the yellow dot to the valve stem the balance stays good and I don't have any vibration/balance issues.

YMMV

I do exactly the same thing. I've changed dozens of my motorcycle tires and never balanced any of them. Never an issue with vibes or un-even wear.

The part I suck at is scratching the rim. I've yet to do a tire without putting a couple scratches in the rim.

The part I suck at is scratching the rim. I've yet to do a tire without putting a couple scratches in the rim.

I use old laundry detergent plastic bottles and cut "rim protector" strips from them for use between the tire iron and the wheel. This plastic is thin enough to easily slide into tight areas, yet strong enoug to prevent marks on the rim. I also hear of some people using old "leather belts"

for rim protection. YMMV

Mike

Archived