IGNORED

Nate & us, Part Deux....

Huzband

Actually, Nate's not in this part, but I wanted you to get the connection. On with it.

This is about the difference RideSmart has made for me. Two years ago when I attended this school, I'd heard of RS, kinda knew what Kiss the Mirrors was, but that's it. I also thought myself to be a very good rider, & pretty fast at it, too. Little did I know I was about to the ego-thumping of my life. :dopeslap:

You're about to see pictures never before revealed outside my living room. Even Matt hasn't seen the grotesque technique you're about to witness. Hope you haven't recently eaten.

Turn 11. How many things can you see wrong? Notice my left foot sticking out.

106571118_92AiG-L.jpg

Tipping into turn 12. Nice foot position, don't you think? :/

106571155_Wjd6p-L.jpg

Here's the ugly part. Turn 13.

106571757_4uU7y-L.jpg

I think I could get a bit more lean if I tilt my head in a bit more. :dopeslap:

106571858_VEZpz-L.jpg

That day, there was only one rider that I was able to pass. I got passed A LOT. And by riders that I just knew were slower than me. I wouldn't know how much I had been doing wrong till I took RideSmart. To say I felt dejected would be an understatement.

Fast forward two years, with two RS classes under my belt. Slight improvement, huh? Turn 11, & I was past him before turn 12.

422982930_wsHJk-L.jpg

Into 12.

422983054_UJ6qT-L.jpg

Turn 13.

422982985_UVB9L-L.jpg

Later in 13, looking at 14.

422983025_VihVm-L.jpg

As much improvement as there is from two years ago, I don't have pictures of the best part. The track photog was only out for the first two sessions. I got some advice from two instructors about moving my butt over on the seat. In the afternnon sessions, I worked on it, & it made a HUGE difference. That along with Nate's pointed instruction really allowed me to pick up my pace. Speaking of pace, I think the tires have a little story of their own to tell. :grin:

422977438_AhSwK-L.jpg

422977489_8Uspv-L.jpg

At the end of the day, the only times I got passed was twice by instructors, & Nate. The second time he went by me was between turns 8 & 9, on the back wheel. :Cool: And the only rider I couldn't get around was a K12GT. He wasn't too much slower than me in the turns, but he'd screw on just enough gas in our limited passing zones that I couldn't take him.

This time around, I was hardly dejected. I was jacked up! The improvements RS had made really became evident that day. And it was a delight to incorporate the pointers from the instructors.

I'm liking this track day thing. :clap:

Next time please scratch off the nipples and the last 1/2 inch of chicken before ya post the pix. That's what Photoshop is for.

I'm embarrassed for ya.

"They must be made of Kevlar"

........I think I may head west for the track day.

That was so easy...............I almost feel guilty.

:grin:

I would love to take some dirt bikes lessons from ya....I need em.

I'm laughin so hard I'm cryin.

:cry:

..................I'm just kidding.

I wish I coulda been there.

Whip

If you only could have seen Danny at the end of his last ride; he was spent. You could see it all over his face. But even that tired, you could not have smacked that smile off his face. :)

Next time please scratch off the nipples and the last 1/2 inch of chicken before ya post the pix.

rolleyes1.gif

I'm thinkin' about Barber. You'll hear from me.

Next time please scratch off the nipples and the last 1/2 inch of chicken before ya post the pix.

rolleyes1.gif

I'm thinkin' about Barber. You'll hear from me.

'

Just give me the dates.

I'm in.

:thumbsup:

Just give me the dates.

I'm in.

:thumbsup:

I'm in too, but, can we make it later in the year? I've got that shipment of something Orange coming in from across the pond and I think I'd like to take it there instead of the wee strom...

nutkick.gif

Next time please scratch off the nipples and the last 1/2 inch of chicken before ya post the pix. That's what Photoshop is for.

I'm embarrassed for ya.

"They must be made of Kevlar"

That would be n reference to our very own "Whipped" (as of late) Killer: tires shown here...

275780780_rk3j6-L.jpg

275744677_vy9F3-L.jpg

And this is AFTER multiple days on runs of pure sweeeper nirvana. This one is after Lolo Pass.

As to your day, it sure looks like you had fun and kudos on getting better. Who knows, a few more of those and we'll have another Russell on our hands!

275780780_rk3j6-L.jpg

275744677_vy9F3-L.jpg

Sniff, sniff.

Smells like chicken. :grin:

Man! I feel sorry for all the unsuspecting H/D riders on the BRP come this spring.

Now, Pat. You know I'd NEVER ride like that on a public road. :/

Nice post(s) huzband. Congrats on the form, looking good out there.

Nate's RAD. Watched him in a MOTO-ST race a couple weeks ago on a stock R12S, maintaining 3rd. I missed the end of the race, but what little I saw was humbling. Inspiring.

Lone_RT_rider

Man! I feel sorry for all the unsuspecting H/D riders on the BRP come this spring.

Now, Pat. You know I'd NEVER ride like that on a public road. :/

Uh huh.... and I don't like looking in the mirrors, checkin my teeth for broccoli in the middle of turn's either....

83642623_G4VtS-L.jpg

Nice pics Danny.... great thread. :thumbsup:

As a result of this event, and this thread I've been sharing some more details of the RS class with one of our instructors.

He's very interested in the class.

UPDATE; Dean, our lead instructor, came by my lab this a.m. & had a CD of the track day. I found two photos that were taken later in the day that I hadn't seen before.

For reference, this was the second morning session.

422982944_KBvuz-XL.jpg

Same place, but later in the afternoon, after receiving advice on moving my butt.

433559190_T9WQT-XL.jpg

One more.

433559196_AhFvw-XL.jpg

I wanna go back!!! :)

Danny, looking really carefully at that last picture, like I would be watching a really good student who wanted me to nitpick, I'd be really hard pressed to say anything but "it looks terrific." Great presence, angle, body position, both elbow positions, feet, head angle, etc. It just looks terrific. :thumbsup:

I've never quite found anything else that feels like taking a corner like you are there. It's a drug.

Wow! Thanks, David. :)

As I started to get the feel for having my behind off the side of the seat, the funometer really started to go up.

Trouble is, now I want a track bike. :D

"Trouble is, now I want a track bike :D "

SURPRISE!

You got that right. A track bike wasn't ANYWHERE on my list that morning.

But by the end of the day.........

russell_bynum
"Trouble is, now I want a track bike :D "

SURPRISE!

You got that right. A track bike wasn't ANYWHERE on my list that morning.

But by the end of the day.........

The good news is, they're cheap!

You don't need the latest and greatest crotch rocket and you don't need anything in pristine showroom condition. Just go find any 600cc Japanese supersport bike made in the last 10 years or so. Cosmetic condition isn't important, so look for one that's been dropped and rashed up a bit.

Add frame sliders to protect the expensive bits and then just ride. If you've still got $$ left over, upgrade the suspension and brakes.

For Lisa's track bike, we bought a 1990ish FZR600 that had been down on both sides but was mechanically sound. I put RaceTech springs and cartridges up front, found a used Fox rear shock on eBay for the rear, installed stainless brake lines and better pads, threw a decent set of tires at it, and that's it. Less than $1,500 including the bike purchase price and all the upgrades.

Trouble is, now I want a track bike. :D

Told ya that you should have kept the Duc :/

Actually, I'm with Russell on this one. The neat thing about track bikes is that they can be cheap. We have a local guy that consistently sells cheap crotch rockets with salvaged titles. They usually just have a little damaged plastic, or are a little scraped up.........it doesn't have to be pretty to be fast

Matt asked me at the end of the day if I wish I had kept the Duc. Without hesitation I said no.

It was way too nice, & too expensive to maintain. I also told him I either would have been intimidated by it, thus not riding to my own potential, or I would have gotten in over my head, with bad results.

Russell's idea is right in line with what Dean said today. And with my affinity for V-Twins, he highly recommended an SV650.

Hopefully by next spring, I'll have a new toy. A cheap new toy. :Cool:

russell_bynum
Matt asked me at the end of the day if I wish I had kept the Duc. Without hesitation I said no.

It was way too nice, & too expensive to maintain. I also told him I either would have been intimidated by it, thus not riding to my own potential, or I would have gotten in over my head, with bad results.

Russell's idea is right in line with what Dean said today. And with my affinity for V-Twins, he highly recommended an SV650.

Hopefully by next spring, I'll have a new toy. A cheap new toy. :Cool:

The other benefit of the SV, is it's been wildly popular as a club racer, so there's gobs of track parts for them.

Danny,

John is selling his...

And, it looks like I'll be getting the orange one this summer...

John as in ltljohn? Did Glenda change her mind about riding, or just not like it?

There ya go Danny, I can deliver John's SV650 to you in Florida and then swing by Matt's place and ride the Strom back north. That sounds like a fun road trip.........minus my knuckle dragging physique being bent in half on a SV650 for 1000 miles :grin::lurk:

I'm in the minority, so feel free to ignore me, but I've not been a fan of the SV650 as a track bike. I do know many people swear by them and they have a huge following, but after spending many full days on them racing around tracks, I find them very uninspiring.

On the moving your butt off, the one thing you'll want to be careful about is this: as you build speed, don't move your butt further off--leave that to your upper body. If your lower body is off by more than about two-thirds of one cheek, it gets very difficult to lock onto the bike well and you end up twisting your body...and getting flat exhausted moving from side to side.

I'm in the minority, so feel free to ignore me,...

Not a chance, pal. :grin:

I appreciate your input, not only on a potential track tool, but also technique. Keep 'em comin'. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer Keith, but now ain't the time. Feel free to come visit anytime, though. Who knows, I might even get another new cell phone out of it.

Hi Shawn. :wave:

Danny,

John is selling his...

And, it looks like I'll be getting the orange one this summer...

John as in ltljohn?

yep, g decided it was a bit tall for her and they just picked her up a nicely farkled and lowered f650 in Allentown.

keith, shoot, I might take you up on that offer just to get the SV for us to ride!

keith, shoot, I might take you up on that offer just to get the SV for us to ride!

If you're serious, and it works for John.......I wouldn't be against it. It would give me a good excuse to take an extra day or two in order to stay off the slab.

If you're serious, and it works for John.......I wouldn't be against it. It would give me a good excuse to take an extra day or two in order to stay off the slab.

Glenda is fine with it. It's her bike, you will also have to talk money with Glenda.

Lone_RT_rider
Thanks for the offer Keith, but now ain't the time. Feel free to come visit anytime, though. Who knows, I might even get another new cell phone out of it.

Hi Shawn. :wave:

Hi from Ningbo China (cough, cough).... care to chew some air? LOL

Looks like I can finally post again. Hooray! Danny, those pics are awesome. One thing I recommend for next time. Work on turning your hips to the inside of the turn, hard. It will do two things. First, it will anchor your outside leg by pushing it it into the plastic on the top side of the bike. Second, it will force your inside knee into the windstream. You won't have to try to stick your knkee out. It will just drop into place.

Hey, I'm going to the track next Monday. Will you have your track bike by then?

Hey, I'm going to the track next Monday. Will you have your track bike by then?

All he needs is a little incentive, that might be just it :grin:

Archived