IGNORED

Hyper-Lite Brake Lights

Jon_M

Has anybody else done this?

I just bought the 16-LED Hyper-Lite kit for my R12RT. I am surprised to see in the instructions that they are supposed to be stuck onto the red plastic side reflectors on either side of the fender. Seems wrong to me. Any reason not to mount them directly on the fender just below the reflectors? I'm not even sure it is legal to cover up those reflectors, and it seems unnecessary.

Hi Jon

I just installed a set of the 16 LED Hyper lights on my RT.

I stuck them on TOP of the brake/tail light assembly just under the luggage rack. They must be positioned at the back of the lamp so that they clear the latch from the top case.

Makes a nice clean look and no wires are visible.

No warning indicators or other problems with the ZFE noted and works great.

I stuck them on TOP of the brake/tail light assembly just under the luggage rack.

I had not thought of that. I'll take another look!

Jon, can you post a picture? I would like to add visability to the back end also.

I haven't installed them yet but will post a picture when I do. Maybe someone else can respond, but in the meantime, the Hyper-Lites website is here: Hyper-Lites

I stuck them on TOP of the brake/tail light assembly just under the luggage rack.

I just went back to the Hyper-Lites site and noticed their License Plate Bracket. For only $7.50, I think that may be the painless way to go.

Jon, can you post a picture? I would like to add visability to the back end also

Here ya go.... Wires pass through the holes for the luggage rack into the tail lamp assembly. Not sure why you would add an additional bracket confused.gif The 16 LED hyper lights are really, really bright and current draw is 330mA for you tech heads out there. Just make sure they are mounted all the way back out of the way of the top case latching mechanism.

30879292-M.jpg

and another with the brakes on!

30879298-M.jpg

The RT II kits are made to work with the single filament tail lamp setup on the new 1200RT. Basically the tail light/ brake light is a single filament bulb and the voltage is decreased when the brakes are not applied.

brakes off = approx. 3-4 VDC

brakes on = full 12-14 VDC

The RT II hyper light only starts flashing when the full voltage is applied and glows dim when the lower voltage is applied by the ZFE controller.

You can call or email Hyper Lite for more information about how it works.

Not sure why you would add an additional bracket.

I agree that your installation looks really good, but I am going to try the license plate bracket, mounting it at the bottom of the plate so that the three brake lights (original and two Hyper-Lites) form a triangle. I'll do it experimentally before committing to it. The bracket is a really simple piece that should not be obnoxious, but if I don't like the way it looks, I'll go to your solution.

On the 12RT there is room on the existing plate bracket to mount the lights on each side of the plate without any modifications.

I spent nearly 2 hours with the manager of my BMW dealer today discussing my Hyper-Lite (& similar brake LED lighting) options. We looked at all kits he had in stock; I did NOT see the dual, 16 LED units, pictured above. He only seemed to have the smaller dual 8 LED units. I'm going to print and show him this picture tomorrow.

Also, does anyone have any experience or information regarding the BMW brand tag bracket LED brake light; part number 99 99 0 006 640 "Supplemental LED Brake Light" on page 109 of the BMW Accessory catalog? (Maybe someone can copy that picture here.)

Beemer_Jockey

On my surfing the net looking for info on accessories for my new RT I've found that the BMW Supplemental LED Brake Light contained the following disclaimer: "*Programmed to work with BMW EVO/Integral ABS Brake Systems, BMW ABS II, and BMW Standard Brake Systems.

**Not suitable for use with R1200GS, R1200RT, R1200ST, & K1200S/R."

From SierraBMW.com

From what I've heard, it draws too much for the new GS/RT system.

Not suitable for use with R1200GS, R1200RT, R1200ST, & K1200S/R.

From what I've heard, it draws too much for the new GS/RT system.

Ahhhhhh... well, that answers that.

Thanks.

On the 12RT there is room on the existing plate bracket to mount the lights on each side of the plate without any modifications.

I thought so, too, until the kit arrived and I saw that the mounting tape faces the wrong way for using those flat surfaces alongside the license plate.

We looked at all kits he had in stock; I did NOT see the dual, 16 LED units, pictured above.

Just go directly to the Hyper-Lites site and you will find the R12RT II kit listed there for $75.95 I bought my kit directly from the site. I've dealt with them in the past and found them reasonable and responsive to questions.

I thought so, too, until the kit arrived and I saw that the mounting tape faces the wrong way for using those flat surfaces alongside the license plate.

So you add some tape to the correct side wink.gif I used dual lock on my last set and just popped them off and installed them on the new bike when I traded the other.

So you add some tape to the correct side wink.gif I used dual lock on my last set and just popped them off and installed them on the new bike when I traded the other.

Nope. Cannot be done that way. The new lights have only one flat, smooth surface where the tape can be used. Side one has the tape, side two has the LEDs, side three the wires, and side four is rounded off in a way that will keep it from sitting flush with the mounting point. If you stick the existing tape to the flat space by the license plate, the lights will point due east and west, not south as they should. Might prevent attacks on the flanks, but not rear-enders.

I just placed my phone order for the RT II (single function) Hyper-Lite kit. This kit contains the 2, 16 LED units that are designed to illuminate/flash only when the stock brake light comes on. Price is ~$76. The optional dual function Hyper-Lite kit illuminates @ 60% intensity all the time and then increases to 100% when the stock brake light comes on. Price is ~ $94.

I just placed my phone order for the RT II (single function) Hyper-Lite kit. This kit contains the 2, 16 LED units that are designed to illuminate/flash only when the stock brake light comes on. Price is ~$76. The optional dual function Hyper-Lite kit illuminates @ 60% intensity all the time and then increases to 100% when the stock brake light comes on. Price is ~ $94.

I stand corrected. The price you give for the dual function version is the correct one.

I appolize. I assumed they were like the previous version I had. dopeslap.gif

Nope. Cannot be done that way. The new lights have only one flat, smooth surface where the tape can be used. Side one has the tape, side two has the LEDs, side three the wires, and side four is rounded off in a way that will keep it from sitting flush with the mounting point. If you stick the existing tape to the flat space by the license plate, the lights will point due east and west, not south as they should. Might prevent attacks on the flanks, but not rear-enders.

Hi all

After reading this thread and seeing the pics, I ordered a set for my new R12RT. But yesterday I received this email:

Thank you for choosing Hyper-Lites but we cannot process your order. We ship internationally via U.S. Global Priority Mail. Your address is not in the areas served.

Which surprised me, as the USPS web pages show that GPM does indeed deliver to South Africa. Do you think I can get them anywhere else, preferably from a company that knows where Africa is? confused.gif

I just received mine toady and the instructions state to mount them to the reflectors on the sides of the license plate bracket. I opted to remove the reflectors and mount them to the bracket directly. Either way it appears they can be mounted to the existing bracket with no modifications and it gives a nice triangle of brake lights. I went with the 8 LED so maybe the design of the 16 prohibits them from being mounted the same confused.gif?

I just received mine toady and the instructions state to mount them to the reflectors on the sides of the license plate bracket. I opted to remove the reflectors and mount them to the bracket directly. Either way it appears they can be mounted to the existing bracket with no modifications and it gives a nice triangle of brake lights. I went with the 8 LED so maybe the design of the 16 prohibits them from being mounted the same confused.gif?

If the lights are mounted as recommended, you are right about the positioning, and the 16 LED version could definitely be installed that way. But I was not willing to either cover up or remove the reflectors. Mounting the lights directly on top of them seemed like a Hyper-lite design mistake to me, and I looked for another way.

I'm not fond of the side reflectors as I don't think they serve much of a purpose so I thought mounting the lights there was a good location. I think the Hyperlites company says to mount them there so no mods are needed and I'm sure the statement to mount them on the reflectors is a CYA thing by not telling you to remove the reflectors. The side reflectors are a USA regulation and don't even come on the European models (at least they didn't used to). I'm not trying to say mines better than yours, just wanted to let folks know that they can be mounted on the bracket without purchasing the extra bracket from hyperlites. Also it just seem like having them mounted further apart may make them more effective but thats just a personal opinion.

Thanks,

DS

If the lights are mounted as recommended, you are right about the positioning, and the 16 LED version could definitely be installed that way. But I was not willing to either cover up or remove the reflectors. Mounting the lights directly on top of them seemed like a Hyper-lite design mistake to me, and I looked for another way.

David_S -

I, for one, would like to see a pic of your mounted Hyper-Lites so that I can better visualize what you're describing.

I should be receiving my kit (two, 16-unit LEDs) in a couple of days and I'd like to have a pretty firm mounting plan.

Here ya are. The only mod I had to make was to drill a small hole to run the wires through. I drilled it right in the slot in the center of the bracket so it is hidden and I only had to drill through plastic. It's open to run the wires up and into the bike wiring behind the lamp. The brake light are not on so don't panic and think the lights aren't bright. These babies are very bright. so bright flashing that I would be afraid to mount them under the rack so close to the turn signals as I'd be afraid people wouldn't see the turn signal flashing because of the bright LED's being so close.

hl03.jpg

hl04.jpg

hl02.jpg

hl05.jpg

David_S:

I received my Hyper-Lite kit today which has the two, 16 LED modules; I have not yet installed them. I called and spoke to a Hyper-Lite technician today and during the conversation, he recommended mounting them completely vertical ( _|_ ) on the side reflectors, i.e., NOT following the slight angle ( _/_ ) of the reflectors. I told him that didn't seem correct and it would be better to angle/point the LEDs up toward the driver behind. He still felt that mounting them straight would be best.

This may sound like a petty issue, but I want to do it right the first time.

Comments/suggestions - anyone?

David_S:

I called and spoke to a Hyper-Lite technician today and during the conversation, he recommended mounting them completely vertical ( _|_ ) on the side reflectors, i.e., NOT following the slight angle ( _/_ ) of the reflectors.

I noticed that same advice on the instructions that came with my kit, so I have the same question you raised. I thought LEDs were very directional, so that if they were aimed absolutely straight back, they would be slightly less visible to the person behind you.

I am inclined to think that the producer knows best, but inquiring minds ...

I suppose you could tape them in place temporarily and get behind the bike at a distance you want them to be visible from and see which position gives the best results. I haven't had anyone follow me to check mine yet but standing about 30' back they are very visible though I hope further than that. I'll have to get Momma to follow me in the cage and see how they look. I had a set on a KRS and a fellow rider told me they weren't very effective so I had to reposition them so positioning if definitely important. Sorry I can't give a definite answer. If mine aren't visible enough from a car I'll just remove the tape and use dual lock like I did on the GS so I can reposition them as needed.

I just went out and had someone activate the brake lights while I was about 150' behind the bike and standing strait up and crouched down they are VERY visible. While walking up to the bike their visibility did not decrease. While direction is important having them mounted as I do seems to work well IMO.

The only mod I had to make was to drill a small hole to run the wires through. I drilled it right in the slot in the center of the bracket so it is hidden and I only had to drill through plastic. It's open to run the wires up and into the bike wiring behind the lamp.

Where did you stick the flasher? I don't see any obvious flat surface inside the tail light housing to put it on.

Jon

I stuck it up toward the top just about in the center. It was flat but at an angle. I actually stuck it to the black plastic piece (inner fender?) rather than the light housing itself.

The weather turned cool here today (92 degrees), so I thought I better take advantage and install my Hyper-Lite kit (RT II) on my '05 RT.

One thing that puzzles me is that mine glow @ 60% intensity when the taillight is on and pulsate when the brakelight is on. I thought that this is how the $95 DUAL FUNCTION kit was supposed to function. I purchased the $74 SINGLE FUNCTION kit which isn't supposed to glow, only pulsate.

I'm not complaining... I like them. I just didn't want to spend the extra $20 for the glowing feature.

Did I misunderstand the Hyper-Lite website literature regarding SINGLE FUNCTION vs. DUAL FUNCTION?

One thing that puzzles me is that mine glow @ 60% intensity when the taillight is on and pulsate when the brakelight is on. I thought that this is how the $95 DUAL FUNCTION kit was supposed to function. I purchased the $74 SINGLE FUNCTION kit which isn't supposed to glow, only pulsate.

This is funny. I paid for the dual-function kit and was sent the single-function version. I had to ask for a replacement, which came right away, together with a free set of Bungie Buddies by way of apology for the mistake. You must have got my kit!

Come to think of it, you must have also got the dual-function instructions if you got it all hooked up correctly. The dual-function kit requires you to tap into the hot wire for the rear accessory plug.

Nope, you got the right kit....... In this thread a while back, I posted this.....

The RT II kits are made to work with the single filament tail lamp setup on the new 1200RT. Basically the tail light/ brake light is a single filament bulb and the voltage is decreased when the brakes are not applied.

The RT II hyper light only starts flashing when the full voltage is applied and glows dim when the lower voltage is applied by the ZFE controller.

So do the dual function perform differently than the single which also seem to function as dual or are they just more expensive?

Nope, you got the right kit....... In this thread a while back, I posted this.....

Archived