IGNORED

hid lights

j chambers

ok, my bike is down (02rt1150) and this could be done cheap(maybe) while it's down, so if i by a kit(or 2 ) from vvme.com, what exactly do i get? i have oem h7 low beam and h1 high beam, they offer a dual beam kit with h4-3 or h13-3, must i buy a kit for h1(which has 2 light kits) and a h7 kit (which again has 2 light kits)? who has done this and either got it right the first time or had to spend it more than once to get it right? if i need to get the 2 kits...anyone want to split them?

joel

There are some other threads on the HID lights. But I only put an HID on the low beam on both my bikes (both use the H7 bulb). It takes the HIDs a few seconds to warm up and get to the proper temperature, and since most of the time you tend to only use high beams for short periods of time, it makes more sense to leave them with the standard bulb installed.

You could split a VME kit with two H7 bulbs. I'm sure somebody would want one. But, I would recommend low beam only.

Wayne

ok, my bike is down (02rt1150) and this could be done cheap(maybe) while it's down, so if i by a kit(or 2 ) from vvme.com, what exactly do i get? i have oem h7 low beam and h1 high beam, they offer a dual beam kit with h4-3 or h13-3, must i buy a kit for h1(which has 2 light kits) and a h7 kit (which again has 2 light kits)? who has done this and either got it right the first time or had to spend it more than once to get it right? if i need to get the 2 kits...anyone want to split them?

joel

Your manual has a typo in it - the high beam is a H3 which sits in a holder that is only sold with the headlight assembly - not separately. I would avoid messing with that and fit a set of auxiliary lights triggered by high beam instead.

Andy

huh? it reads,under techincal data page76,h7 halogen bulb 12v 55w and h1 halogen bulb 12v 55w-but why would the high beam be the same wattage if it's brighter(unless it has to do with the reflectors making it brighter). also i see your from the UK. maybe yours has a different light set-up??? i don't know unless i pull the bulb out. and that is why i ask before i'm spending the money.please clear this up for me, thanks for the info.

joel

This has been a fascinating thread as I'm planning to put H.I.D. lights on both my car and R1100RT. A couple questions come up:

-I ride 95% rural meaning highbeams most of the time. I think I would want H.I.D. highbeams. If the low beams stay on all the time then the momentary delay in highbeam bulb coming up to temp shouldn't be a problem. Am I correct in this assumption?

-we have mandatory daylight running lights here. On the Accord (not sure about the RT) the highbeam bulb is used for the DRL and is on at a lower output (I think). Will the H.I.D. bulb run at lower output?

Paul

This has been a fascinating thread as I'm planning to put H.I.D. lights on both my car and R1100RT. A couple questions come up:

-I ride 95% rural meaning highbeams most of the time. I think I would want H.I.D. highbeams. If the low beams stay on all the time then the momentary delay in highbeam bulb coming up to temp shouldn't be a problem. Am I correct in this assumption?

-we have mandatory daylight running lights here. On the Accord (not sure about the RT) the highbeam bulb is used for the DRL and is on at a lower output (I think). Will the H.I.D. bulb run at lower output?

Paul

Once warm there is very little delay in the HID coming up to full intensity. HID lights are an arc lamp in a xennon filled capsule, the UV from the arc causes the xennon to flouresce giving off that harsh, white light. They do not do dim, they do on or off.

Andy

I switched both my low beam and high beam for HID's from cqlight.ca and won't have another bike without them. The reflector on my R1100S is perfect for low beam. Really projects the light exactly where it's needed. But for really throwing a lot of light down the road, the high beam HID does the trick. You can't flash with the HID high beam, but that's a small loss for the amount of light you gain running down dark roads.

Andy & Jerry - thanks for the replies. Can either of you answer about whether or not the HID's will run as daytime running lights? Am I correct in my assumption that the car's running lights run on less power? I'm not sure (bikes away for the winter) if it's low beams or high beams are used in the DRL circuit.

Paul

Andy & Jerry - thanks for the replies. Can either of you answer about whether or not the HID's will run as daytime running lights? Am I correct in my assumption that the car's running lights run on less power? I'm not sure (bikes away for the winter) if it's low beams or high beams are used in the DRL circuit.

Paul

HIDS cannot be varied in intensity, but will operate on a wide range of voltage. The VVME kits are rated to operate with an input voltage range of 8 to 32 volts, so if the DLR position on the car gives better than 8 volts when loaded with the HID they will light.

I suppose it depends on your states definition of DLR. Do they have to be dimmer than an ordinary low-beam? If not, just bypass the cars dropping resistor and you are good to go.

Andy

Andy - thanks for the reply. I've taken DRL's for granted as to brightness so will explore it further. I believe output ie. brightness differs from make to make based on how they want to deal with meeting legal requirements and at the same time production efficiencies. I've been under the assumption that the DRL's are a third level beam but perhaps they are all just regular low beams. Are DRL's mandatory throughout the UK?

Are DRL's mandatory throughout the UK?

No, not in the UK. Most of mainland Europe has mandatory DRL for motorcycles so I expect we will get that soon. Many Scandinavian countries also have mandatory DRL for all vehicles - something I am against. I like to stand out in traffic, DRL helps me to do that so long as cars do not have them.

Andy

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

Hi Rocer -

re: "I've been under the assumption that the DRL's are a third level beam but perhaps they are all just regular low beams."

with regards to day time running lights running at different intensitites - imho the intensity is manufacturer specific choice.

if you have a module then you have less intensity when on DRL. if no module then DRL intensity is same a night time intensity.

based on:

my 1996 ford had a DRL 'module' - ran at 60% of night time ( the module broke and cost 200$+ to replace to pass safety check when i sold the vehicle) so perhaps not a great implementation.

vs.

my newer SAAB and Mercedes both have DRL but at 100% intensity and the implementation is basiscally that the lights are on all the time and you cant turn them off - like my RT.

Archived