IGNORED

Cross Country Pied Piper Run... Is it too late???

SageRider

Sounds great! (How can it be too late this early?)

Count me in if I don't go back to TN in July for the MOA rally. I'm trying to find a way to stay on the East coast with relatives, then head up to NH for the UN.

I'm not ridin' with any black bikes that aren't washed.. :grin:

MB>

:eek:? ME?

Dude, are you color blind or did you get a new bike? :grin:

Jan is trapped on Google Maps, and talking about at least a 10 day ride to get there. :lurk:

Looking at options from here if you wanted to run from Micheal's place to SLC, which is a long 12 hour day on US50. Based on last year's experience, I'm assuming no host between here and Chicago. Sturgis will be August 3-9, so going through the badlands is out, at least for me. I'm also assuming North is good, very, very good. Bring your skeeter repellent if we're going into Canada!

Options:

1. Up through Banff/Jasper, and over to Gaspe, down coast to Bay of Fundy, then straight in. Graze Yellowstone but avoid main park, do Going to the Sun Road in Glacier, up through Kootenay and onto the Ice Field Parkway. Then staying very high, make the run out New Brunswick. With four 800 mile days in a row crossing the plains this is 9 to 10 days from SLC. Could cut out the Canadian East Coast portion and save a day, or ease up a bit on daily miles... Probably easing up on daily miles would be the smarter thing to do. So even without the coast it's a 9 to 10 day ride.

Something Like This - Option 1

It's the premier option, with a truly superb tour of the intermountain west, and the Canadian East, but I think it's too much, though I'd consider it on my own. With a group it's too much pushing. Really need to run out 12 to 14 days. I'd go for it if people want to, but I think we would lose riders along the way across the plains. MikeRC, Santa, Kye, we thought of you!

Option 2

Run up through Glacier, then across along the border. Skips Japser/Banff and skips the Canadian East Coast. But adds a day for Yellowstone/Teton. More moderate daily miles, still looking at something like 8 or 9 days with a number of 600 mile days. This route is very approximate. Maybe pick up Picture Rocks and Tahquamenon Falls in the Upper Peninsula, or maybe pick Isle Royal for a break midway. Possibly do something with the end game in NY/NH as well. Possibly go into Montreal and look around. I didn't really spend much time with it 'cause I thought it's still too long. Could skip the Yellowstone day and save one day.

Something like this - Option 2

Option 3

More direct route. Assumes a host in Chicago. I would have run this up through Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore, but for Sturgis. Six days. The last two days are light and allow for playing around in the NY/NH area on the approach. The route from Rochester, NY through Saranac Lake is just a placeholder as I'm assuming we'd get some local advice to fill it in with.

It's still got a long hard plains crossing.

I honestly think this is pretty much it. Two nice days in Utah and Colorado, and two nice days coming into NH. Two long hard days crossing the middle of the country. Probably hotter than we'd like, but no passports needed, miles are more moderate, and that's about that. We could skip the play day at the end and cut down daily miles on the plains, or stay on I-80 in Ut/CO and save a day, but that's pretty much the choices. This may be the only reasonable choice.

Something Like This - Option 3

What are you guys thinking, something like one of these?

Jean's so last minute.... :grin:

One IMO can't miss near Yellowstone is Earthquake Lake along US287 Northwest of the West Yellowstone park entrance by about 30 miles. One heck of an impressive site demonstrating the power of the 1959 earthquake. Growing up in Southern California and used to big quakes there, this site impressed the heck out of me.

Jean says it is too early to think about it. :lurk:

So does Joyce. I say it's never too early to start planning.

Jeez, and here I am thinking I need to block out August on my calendar. :grin:

In for the Pied Piper! Will this be a motel or camping thing? Or both! :lurk:

Jeff

It will be host homes as much as possible or motels.

I plan on packing an ultra light sleeping bag and towel kit so floor space and a bathroom is all I need in the way of host home facilities...

I had this posted in the main thread Leslie suggested I post it here too.

Ok, here goes, it's time for me to return some of the great hospitality I have gotten from the great people that I have met on business trips in the last couple of years.

I live about 425 miles from the UN site just a bit north of Philadelphia.

I have 3 couches in the house, 3 bunks and a queen size bed in the camper, some floor space and a bit of space for 4 or 5 small tents. These will be available first come first served basis. Please PM me and I will assist with directions because all the mapping software puts you about a half mile down the road from my house.

I can accommodate Saturday and Sunday arrivals as well just let me know in advance.

I have basic maintenance tools and space

Jan please add coordinates to the map

John

So any of you "Pied Pu$$y" riders up for a detour through WV on the way to NH??

Stand by, I will pm 3putt and see what he says.

Ken H. never lead me into a tunnel of death. It all depends on who I'm following.

Awwww, c'mon! What's a little "tunnel of death" between friends?? :grin:

I suppose you'd rather have

:grin:
Nancy and I would love to have a Pied Piper run stop here again if the route works out. :wave:

:clap: I vote for Bud's place.

190489340_Xoona-M.jpg

190489167_V6f98-M.jpg

190489558_hp2Ev-M.jpg

Nancy and I really enjoyed having folks stop by. Here is a line up of the guilty.

1227491036.jpg

What a neat thing to "meet" the people I only knew from on-line. What a great bunch and we had so much fun here.

Sorry that I can not find the picture of SageRider dragging a knee. :wave:

Sorry that I can not find the picture of SageRider dragging a knee.

Such a classic picture... And apparently lost forever... :(

I found the original post, but the C-2.com link for the photo is broken...

Sorry that I can not find the picture of SageRider dragging a knee.

Such a classic picture... And apparently lost forever... :(

I found the original post, but the C-2.com link for the photo is broken...

Just when you think it will never be seen again (download and save it this time) Some of the gear, some of the time!

1227497668.jpg

I live 5 miles south of Nashville, Illinois.

View of Bud's house.

If you click the link, we are the house at the end of the cul du sac with the dock behind the house in the lake.

here are the coordinates 38.271509, -89.386927

For those of you with Garmin GPS', the coordinates are: N 38* 16.189' x W 089* 23.132'.

If Bud is willing to host again, it sure sounds like an ideal gathering point for a few of the riders from the different areas! :)

Updated Map of Host Home Offers

There are more entries on the map now. Please note that place marks on the map are general. There is no intent that they provide directions to someone's house. They just show the nearest city, or approximate location for general planning purposes. If the offeror has supplied coordinates they are in the comments. Click on a placemark to see the full comment for that place.

I’m thinkin’ there’s a northern run in here somewhere – Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, North Bay, Ottawa, Montreal, Lancaster!

With appropriate detours along the way of course!

I'm thinkin' if'n we can get someone from the "Mile High Crew" to step up and host . . . (~540 miles from SLC) . . . and then swing by Dull Moan (~670 from Denver ) and pick up hANNAbONE . . . then we're less than 500 miles from Bud and Nancy's place in Nashville, IL!

Hmmmmmmmm . . . . . :Cool:

I’m thinkin’ there’s a northern run in here somewhere – Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, North Bay, Ottawa, Montreal, Lancaster!

I can help on that route as I am in Oakville (Toronto)

Hmmm..... Do they have turtles in Canada?

1227525050.jpg

I'm thinkin' if'n we can get someone from the "Mile High Crew" to step up and host . . . (~540 miles from SLC) . . . and then swing by Dull Moan (~670 from Denver ) and pick up hANNAbONE . . . then we're less than 500 miles from Bud and Nancy's place in Nashville, IL!

Hmmmmmmmm . . . . . :Cool:

You could follow the Mississippi and even stop at Nauvoo on the way down.

Hi to all... Hopz and Mrs Hopz have been on the road to Houston for Thanksgiving, thus have missed the UN party planning so far. We are here now and settled for a few days.

You guys have been busy.

Jan... please add Casa Hopz to the Host locations in SLC. Not yet able to commit to the UN but will be great fun to Host House.

Game ON!

1227525050.jpg

Turtles were declared extinct in Canada earlier this year :( .

1227525050.jpg

Turtles were declared extinct in Canada earlier this year :( .

Then it should be safe to ride with Ken!!!! But that high northern route is long. Maybe we can make something work with the border route, roughly Glacier to Ottawa, Montreal.

I prefer to get north quickly and stay north myself, due to heat. On the other hand, I haven't seen too many host offers up that way.

Or maybe like Yellowstone/Cody and then east.

Only problem with Yellowstone/Cody is it runs one straight into Sturgis at exactly the wrong time of year.

Or maybe like Yellowstone/Cody and then east.

Only problem with Yellowstone/Cody is it runs one straight into Sturgis at exactly the wrong time of year.

Exactly, which is why I didn't suggest it when I gave the three suggested options early in the thread. But then I noticed something. I-90 runs through there. I'm thinking if we got on I-90 we might be able to sneak through without a lot of drama. I-94 also is right there. I think there might be some larger than normal amount of bike traffic in the greater Yellowstone/Cody/Redlodge area, but I wouldn't think it would be crazy bad.

We could

1. Take I-90 and still stop in at 3Putt's place. In this scenario I'm thinking a southern leg could run up through Bud's and we could all meet at RTJims.

OR

2. We could take I-94 Billings to Fargo, then back roads and meet up with the Canadian leg and run through the UP, Ottawa, Montreal.

I'm in Ottawa and plan to arrive in Lancaster on the Sunday. It's only 300 miles from Ottawa to Lancaster, so a very leisurely ride. I generally head east for about 40 miles then due south to the border, crossing the St. Lawrence river at Cornwall. After that I head east through upper NY state and into Vermont, then south and east into New Hampshire. I generally don't go through Montreal (2 hrs east of Ottawa) because of the traffic, though it's obviously not as bad on a weekend.

As for hosting in Ottawa, I live in a downtown townhouse with absolutely zero yard and one spare bedroom/bathroom. I don't think I'd be much good as a "host" in terms of a place for a gaggle to crash, or park bikes. That said, if the route does end up coming this way, I'm willing to help if there's anything I can do.

Here's my route from Ottawa to Lancaster:

Home-LancasterNH.jpg

Just when you think it will never be seen again (download and save it this time) Some of the gear, some of the time!

1227497668.jpg

Fabulous, and on a RED DUCATI, no less!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't sleep! I can't imagine a better group of people to travel with but I can't commit at this time. My uncle hasn't decided if we're doing Cinque Terre in April or Bath England in August. I just hope if the Un's in my future there will be a place to pound my ear.

Are you trying to FORCE me into having an overnight stop at my place for the Pied Piper? Just because I'm in Columbus? :rofl:

You can add my house to the possible overnight locations - I have a spare bedroom upstairs, large bonus room upstairs, theatre room and bar downstairs and plenty of back yard space for campers.

now to break it to the wife we might be having the gang stop by....

Jim

I had already put you on the map based on your response to Jamie in the other thread... eeek, hope I didn't jump the gun. If you want off, let me know.

Jan

Archived