IGNORED

Ye Olde New England UNrally Announcement

SAMSAR

Paul Mihalka
95% bleak outlook for us :( :(

Will post for sure when the final verdict is made but seems like calendar will be changed.

This loophole will violate the spirit of the Save Our Summers Act and shorten vacation time.

I'm sure there will be others (not w/UN) who will have made plans that will have to be cancelled.

That would free up a room at UNHQ for someone on waiting list.

:(:mad:

95% bleak outlook for us :( :(

Will post for sure when the final verdict is made but seems like calendar will be changed.

This loophole will violate the spirit of the Save Our Summers Act and shorten vacation time.

I'm sure there will be others (not w/UN) who will have made plans that will have to be cancelled.

That would free up a room at UNHQ for someone on waiting list.

:(:mad:

+1 Was looking forward to meeting you Tim...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I received an email from the campground owner, Randy, today. He had some problems with his voice mail recently. If you haven't heard from him in the past week or two, please give him a call again as he wasn't able to write down your information.

Randy's cell phone is 603-788-4885.

Cheers!

Paul

Paul,

I called last night and left a message.

We are officially out. :(

I'm sure he'll use the waiting list to fill the room, but when you e-mail him next please double check he has this information.

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...
wait a minute...$50 fee? what $50 fee???

A fella by the name of Mr Hill requested fresh Starbucks all day everyday. :grin:

Pat

Well, now we know what Marty Hill would do!

• 3 weeks later...

So is the snow and ice melting out there yet so the recon riders can get out and start posting tempting pics? When does Spring spring out in them there parts? :grin:

We "Best Coast" folks are riding 3000+ miles to get there and we're looking for something to keep us going these long months! :clap:

So is the snow and ice melting out there yet so the recon riders can get out and start posting tempting pics? When does Spring spring out in them there parts? :grin:

We "Best Coast" folks are riding 3000+ miles to get there and we're looking for something to keep us going these long months! :clap:

Ha! that's kind of funny Jamie... we got another 5 inches Monday and there could be some more today...

There have been people out riding... last weekend was not too bad.

Have no fear though... I'm sure by August it we'll have clear roads!

Lone_RT_rider

Some of "other coasters" that can't afford to pay Cali prices for housing have been riding right through the winter. It was a balmy 64 degrees this morning on my way into work and I have almost 400 miles on the new Russell seat now. :)

Shawn

Not sure these are the pictures you were hoping for :eek::grin:

slate_gray.jpg

sign.jpg

Could take a few more weeks for things to melt down more and spring to start showing itself. The problem this time of year is all the melt-off freezing on the roads as the sun moves. Not fun when you are coming around a corner. :eek:

I'll probably make a run up there this month and see how things look but April will be when the real recons will take place. The GS routes may not be dry enough until May.

UNrally Planning has been continuing along nicely throughout the winter and we expect everything to be wrapped up easily by June.

Cheers!

Paul

Great pics Paul! People who live in sunny south just don't realize what winter is. My wife (who grew up in FL and south GA) told me that winter was an unpleasant time of year (a month or so) when it was too cold to wear shorts. I am so looking forward to chipping the ice off the observatory and enjoying the above zero weather! The studs come off the bike tires in May, right Paul? :grin:

Lone_RT_rider, you don't have any relatives in Louisiana do you? I played golf with a preacher today that has 3 MC riders in his family, one on a beemer in S.C.

Lone_RT_rider
Lone_RT_rider, you don't have any relatives in Louisiana do you? I played golf with a preacher today that has 3 MC riders in his family, one on a beemer in S.C.

Nope, most of my relatives are in either Michigan, Florida, Texas or Australia. :) I hope you shot well though. :thumbsup:

Shawn

Hi Paul; :wave:

Nice job organizing the UNrally-2009. I live up here in the White Mountains of New Hampshire (North Conway) and certainly do agree you will find a lot of great riding most anywhere you choose to ride in our beautiful mountains.

If there's anything I can do on this end to make your UNrally better please feel free to give me shout. gary :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally IN! Seems I have successfully dodged the vacay, wedding, and get daughter to college bullets. All are nailed down on different weeks.

Hi Phil,

That's great news... glad you will be able to join us.

Let me know if you are up for a route recon with me next month. I've got one in mind for us that can start from lake champlain and work its way around.

See ya,

Paul

Paul - I can ride any weekend in May as long as I am back and presentable by 5PM Sunday. PM me or email me. It has been a LONG winter here! I stopped counting after we passed 6 feet of snow. I need to ride.

Hi Everyone,

Sunny and Cold here in the Northeast. Wet Snow again yesterday if you can believe it. Should be warmer later this week and I hope to get a ride up to the UNrally site over the weekend... Here is the latest report...

95 people have formally registered on the Evenbrite website

39 people have paid the registration fee :lurk:

68 people are staying at the UN HQ hotel

8 people are staying at the Coos Motor Inn

8 people are tenting

2 people are RV'ing

9 people are Others

26 Unique States including Ontario and Alberta

If you haven't done so already... It's time to start sending in the $50 registration fee!!! We are starting to spend the money and we need funds for deposits and such. Checks are preferred. Paypal is OK too but it would be great if you could include a couple bucks extra to cover the fee. Remember, this is a zero profit event and we are trying to keep the core planning committee from having to pony up on everyone's behalf.

I made a call to Sonny at the Coos Motor Inn today and he still has rooms left for us. Plus, I've checked in with Randy and there are plenty of tent sites remaining. Register for the UNrally here and make your room/campground reservations by calling the numbers at the beginning of this thread. Let us know if questions.

T-Minus 125 124 123 122 121 120... :Cool:

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

• 1 month later...
Lone_RT_rider
C'mon, Shawn!!!!! BREAK THAT STREAK!!!!!! :Cool:

Ok ......FINE! :)

Vacation is approved, room Booked at the Coos motor lodge, new RT in the garage and Route to the UN planned to go WAAAAAAAAAAAY around NYC....all complete!

I am IN!!!! :thumbsup::clap:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch????? :/:Cool:

Paul Mihalka
C'mon, Shawn!!!!! BREAK THAT STREAK!!!!!! :Cool:

Ok ......FINE! :)

Vacation is approved, room Booked at the Coos motor lodge, new RT in the garage and Route to the UN planned to go WAAAAAAAAAAAY around NYC....all complete!

I am IN!!!! :thumbsup::clap:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch????? :/:Cool:

:thumbsup::clap::thumbsup:

Hey Paul and the rest of the organizers.

Thanks very much for this. I am now registered and look forward to seeing everyone there. :clap::clap::clap:

Roy

Hey Paul and the rest of the organizers.

Thanks very much for this. I am now registered and look forward to seeing everyone there. :clap::clap::clap:

Roy

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!! Roy's in, too!!! :clap:

To the rest of you . . . watch out for the sorta quiet guy with the camera . . . or you'll soon be (in)famous before you know it! :grin:

Okay, I now know it's REALLY happening and I'm getting PRETTY DANGED excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Would someone refresh me as to what the link to the routes (local UNRally day routes) is?

Did www.unrally.com\viii die, or where they somewhere else?

hi ken,

Yes, unrally.com had to move to another server a month or so ago and hasn't been moved back yet. We haven't really been using it this year.

I am on iphone now so it's not easy to validate but i think i posted the initial set of routes in the UN forum. There should be a link to google maps and garmin files. I am in the process of route recons and have had to make a few changes to some routes (unless you have a real nice GS ;)).

Paul

I just cancelled room #3. I'll still be on my Continental Divide dual sport ride. I'm sorry I'll have to miss it but since I retired, I just don't have enough time!!!

2wheeltourist

Okay I just found out about this rally. Where the heck have I been??!! I'll download the forms tonight and get signed up. I live fairly close so I'm considering staying in my RV. Is there anyone else doing the same or is everyone hotel / tenting? I hate being on the fringe of these events.

Steven K12GT

2WheelTourist

Edited by 2wheeltourist

Hi Steven,

Welcome!

I am "hosting" this year and plan to also stay in our TT... though most everyone else will be staying in the motel or tenting. UN HQ has both motels and camping on the same site so no one will be too far away. If you call the campground owner, Randy, and let him know you are with the BMW UNrally, he can get you set up with a site that is close to our main gathering building and near where I'll be set up.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a trip to the UnRally vicinity. I rode to the top of Mt. Washington. Amazing view! As I was riding up the mountain, the temptation to look over the edge was very strong so I kept repeating "the bike goes where you look, the bike goes where you look so look at the road!!!".

Great roads and great rides in the vicinity. Nice going Paul!

Fasterpill

Temperature at the top?? Inquiring minds want to know. And when u leaving for the UN? Probs Tues AM for me.

70 at the bottom and 44 at the top! Sunny and little wind which is unusual. Highest recorded winds were 231 mph in 1930 something!!!!! We will leave for the rally on Sunday the 9th with a group of left coasters. They will stay with us at our place in the Adirondacks.

Hi BarNone,

I was up on Mt. Washington yesterday and also had great weather... Sun was out, temp was 42 degrees and the wind was a blustery 42 mph. I've hiked to the top before but this was my first time on the auto road.

Here are a couple pictures from the iPhone...

This was my first attempt about 6 weeks ago... The picture is from UN HQ and Mt. Washington is still covered in snow. From left to right the peaks are Adams, Jefferson, and Washington.

IMG_0052.JPG

GPS shows 38 miles from UN HQ to the top... Between Gorham and Lancaster is your first road sign.

IMG_1140.JPG

Sure enough... it was still closed in April. Next time...

IMG_1188.JPG

Next time was yesterday...

2nd gear to start at the bottom, then 1st gear when it was steep and narrow. Mostly all paved except for a small patch of unpaved road that is easy cross. Downhill was 2nd gear and then 3rd gear with brakes into the corners.

IMG_0142.JPG

That ribbon along the ridge line below is the road.

IMG_0143.JPG

The rocks are all covered in lichens providing lots of traction to climb on.

IMG_0148.JPG

Helmet is on the ground to keep the wind from blowing it off the seat!

IMG_0146.JPG

Nice view of some other smaller peaks in the White Mountains .

IMG_0147.JPG

For the train buffs in the group or those wanting a different way up, you can also go to the other side of the mountain and take the cog rail to the top.

IMG_1217.JPG

The train station...

IMG_1218.JPG

It's $14/bike to go up but definitely worth it and I recommend it to everyone coming to the UN. Inside the main building there are a couple nice shops, a cafeteria, a small museum etc... Plus, there is the original/restored stone building called Tip Top House and the summit sign in my avatar for group pictures.

The roads are looking real good now and I'm getting excited to see everyone soon... If you haven't registered yet, don't wait any longer! We are going to be putting in orders for T-Shirts, meals, maps, etc...

Paul :thumbsup:

Great Pics Paul. Way to fire us up! I am sure the road will be a lot more crowded by the time we are there.

Bob

It's possible there will be more traffic in August, but also remember that we will be riding during the week and will miss the larger weekend crowds. Mornings are quieter than afternoons too.

Paul is braver than me!!!! Seven miles to top. I was in 1st gear all the way down except for a couple of short stretches at the end. Brief patch of gravel - at least a mile long!!!! Sure glad I was wearing my Depends.

Paul Mihalka

Darn, it's still two month away! Paul/SAMSAR, Thanks for doing a GREAT job, but at least you seem to have some fun with it... :thumbsup: