IGNORED

Do I really need an Autocom?

rdsmith3

If I just want occasional bike-to-bike communication for the time being, can I do it without buying an autocom (or starcom, etc.).

Would it work to just buy a GMRS radio, a headset, and a PTT switch? If so, where is a good place to buy these? Any brands of headsets that should be avoided?

Later on, as the budget allows, I could get the autocom for use as an intercom.

Would it work to just buy a GMRS radio, a headset, and a PTT switch?

Usually the weak link is in the microphone.

Autocom, J&M and Baehr all make systems integrating high-quality directional microphones.

I did try to use GMRS radio with a headset-only unit, and my transmissions were barely understood -- not so using an Autocom.

If all you want is B2B, you don't need a full Autocom intercom/communication system. However, you may still want an Autocom.

Autocom makes kits that are dedicated to B2B use. Kit-21 is designed for Kenwood FRS/GMRS radios and Kit-23 is designed for the single-pin Motorola FRS/GMRS radios. These kits come with headset and mic, wiring harness to the radio, and the PTT switch. Everything but the radio itself. You get to select that.

Later, if you want to move to a full Autocom system, the headset will transfer over as will whichever radio (Kenwood or Motorola) you end up with.

Couchrocket

For strictly B2B, "on the cheap," I use a Kenwood radio and a throat mic w/ acoustic ear plug speaker. Audio isn't great "outgoing" but good enough to be understood by others for necessary communication -- if not a running travelogue!

The throat mic / ear speaker comes w/ a PTT button that just Velcros to my left index finger over the glove. Radio clips securely to my riding jacket's "belt." So the entire setup is "on my person."

One of the nice things about a setup like this is that you can get on and off the bike w/o unplugging a bunch of stuff... and even my helmet can come off w/o losing communication.

It is indeed a poor substitute for a really advanced and "built in" system like Autocom, but I don't ride with other folk w/ FRS/GMRS regularly enough to warrant anything else.

For ~$60 you can get a kit from Motocomm.

Mic placement is more important than mic design, IMHO. I've heard people loud and clear with the motocom headsets and at the other end of the spectrum I've been unable to understand some autocom users.

My smart-a$$ answer is only if you really want to communicate. . .My non smart-a$$ answer is my wife & I have Autocom components for our bikes and they are wonderful. Properly set up and installed the systems have been bulletproof. Having the ability to speak to each other makes touring/riding much more enjoyable. You might actually find it less expensive to just get the good stuff the first time; rather than a little here and a little there. I don't work for Autocom, they work for me.

You might actually find it less expensive to just get the good stuff the first time

I don't want to buy cheap quality. In fact, my wife accuses me of being a snob that way -- only buying good stuff. smile.gif

I am leaning towards Fernando's suggestion at this point. I could get one of those kits and then add the actual Autocom later.

John Bentall

A high-quality intercom system is an investment that should last for many years. I have just moved my 4-year old Autocom Pro-M1 system to my new bike. Autocom offered to upgrade me to the latest Pro-M7 at no charge and I declined , on the grounds that the doubled volume would be a disadvantage with my in-ear speakers!

Archived