MapSource-Vista install question

dshogman

In the process of installing programs on the new laptop. Ran into problems with MapSource. Couple of emails to tech support and one of the "rules" he told me to do was to disable all security programs before trying to install MS. OK, so I can disable my AVG, but I'm not sure I can find the disable "switch" for all the built-in Microsoft stuff.

Has anyone gone through this and can give me some more advice?? Would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

When I run MapSource on my Vista laptop I must right-click the icon and "Run as Administrator". Seems silly but this is the only way it works and it works fine.... Windows... WhaddaYaGonnaDo?

Francois_Dumas

You should NOT turn off your anti-virus program (or anti-spam or anti-malware prorgams for that matter), that is NOT what the tech support guy meant ! :/

What he wants you to do (and rightly so in my humble opinion) is to turn of UAC (User Account Control), Microsoft's attempt to protect dork users from themselves.... and by doing so making life on their Vista hell to most users :grin:

You can find how to turn UAC off here:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

... and in about a Gazillion other posts on the world wide web. I think by now it is THE most talk-ed-about 'issue' of Vista.

Hope this helps,

Francois

You should NOT turn off your anti-virus program (or anti-spam or anti-malware prorgams for that matter), that is NOT what the tech support guy meant !

Actually, the tech support person DID intend for the real time scan of any anti-malware program to be turned off during the installation of the software. Real time scan should be turned back on after installation complete.

It is very common for antivirus/antispyware programs to interfere with legitimate program installs.

Also, if you are running an old version of Mapsource, it may not be Vista compatible.

I have Mapsource with City Navigator NT 2008 installed on a Vista PC, and I do not have to play with UAC or "run as administrator" to get it to run properly.

edit:

Most likely, the only Microsoft anti-malware software that may need to be disabled is Windows Defender.

Archived