IGNORED

04 RT Plug Change

kinchy

Although I've done the fluid changes (hold the applause please) can those wiser than I advise what I will need to buy and do to change the plugs on my RT? Is there any truth to using Autolite and champion plugs as some have suggested? Appreciate the advice.

Well I usually remove the tupperware and do the plugs along with valves and Throttle bodies. Not every time you understand, usually about 12,000 to 16,000 miles or so. All I use is the tool set that comes with the bike plus a feeler gauge, cordless screwdriver, and a special file. One way is to pull the plug covers off and use compressed air to clean out the relatively deep holes. Then I pull the plugs, clean (wire brush) and gap them, and put them back in at the correct torque. The torque value is important, don't strip the threads! I personally think that it is "unreasonable" to replace them in under 40,000 miles. They are a relatively simple device with very low wear characteristics that a small special file can correct. On selected vehicles I use the same plugs for 50,000 + miles. As for special plugs, some really like them, I never noticed any difference. I do prefer to use autolites, when I can, over champions just because the autolites look better made from a machinists viewpoint. My 2004 RT has 65,000 plus miles and runs like a top and I did all the maintenence on all my vehicles for 700,000 miles so it is barely possible I know what I am talking about. But opinions and ways to do things are abundant so check around.

Although I've done the fluid changes (hold the applause please) can those wiser than I advise what I will need to buy and do to change the plugs on my RT? Is there any truth to using Autolite and champion plugs as some have suggested? Appreciate the advice.

Kinchy, lots of info on this site regarding spark plugs,, plug type, benefit of type, other info, etc..

Just click on the search a the top of the page then do search as indicated in the picture..

search-6.jpg

Twisty

Archived