IGNORED

New R12RT Purchase Pending - new member

Crestwood330

Crestwood330

Hello Everyone,

I have been researching the 05 R1200RT w/ESA and may purchase the last one at the dealer tomorrow morning.

I am coming off a 2003 GL1800 non-abs which was a great bike (sold in Feb 05). I recently rode a new K1200LT as a possible replacement. I was disapponted with the power difference on the LT compared to the wing, but the handling of the LT, I felt was much better. I will ride the new RT in the morning, they just put one on Demo at closing tonight.

I also wanted ABS on my Wing, but could not find one. I wish I held out and bought an ABS model.

I was offered and incredible amount of money to sell my Wing and I jumped on it. I sold my Wing for what I paid for it 2 years earlier and with 11K miles on it. It was a no brainer.

Now after being off a bike for 6 months, I would like to get back on one. The 05 ABS Wings are non-existent locally, and I didn't really want to get back into the overheating issues with the Wings again. I was also part of the frame crack recall on my 03 and was without my wing for a month. So I am looking for something else. BMW is the only other bike I am considering for a touring bike.

I leased a new BMW 330 CI Convertible in April and love it along with how BMW has treated me so far. With that said I began to look at the RT and the LT once again. The RT is closer to the Pacific Coast I had in 1992-1994 and similar in type to the Honda ST series. I have always wished that the Hondas handled better. Loved the under-arm mirrors on these bikes.

My question for converts from other brands and LT owners:

What were the things that knocked you over when you looked at the new R1200RT and what made you switch to the new RT?

Any regrets in ordering/not ordering optional accessories?

I'm looking to get one without the radio/cd combo due to the sheer expense and lack luster sound quality of the unit and lack of helmet audio connections. I have other far less expensive solutions planned. My passenger and I couldn't hear the radio much on the Wing and highway speeds with 4 speakers and I turned it off in the twisties anyway.

ABS, ESA,Heated Seat and Heated Grips, the detachable panniers, great seating position and the "smoother japanese bike-like gearbox" and the 6th gear, Metzler tires from factory and the partially linked brakes and the Prius-like gas mileage w/ the 7.1 gas tank are the items that are catching my attention. If the ride is everything y'all have said and agrees with everything I have read, it will probably be a done deal tomorrow after the test ride.

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. BMW is hoping to grab people from other manufacturers on 40% of the RTs they hope to sell this year. If all checks out, I will help lower that percentage.

Sincerely

Dave Allen - Birmingham, AL

05 BMW 330 cic

05 Toyota Prius

Great spec bike i.e. identical to mine wink.gif Enjoy your test ride. I will let others comment on your questions as I come from a different biking background though, for me, its the handling and deceptive pace of the bike I love.

One word of warning. Don't be certain the bike will come with Metzeler tyres; BM grab whatever happens to be lying around. Mine came with the (very excellent) Michelin Pilot Roads - I've also seen Bridgestone and Conti tyres as well.

The only extra I've got doubts about on mine is the Onboard computer due to its accuracy (lack of) though its better than many reported on this board. However,I have a feeling this may be standard equipment in the US rather than an option as over here.

Paul

I rode a new 2001 LT for 4 years & 68,000 miles before going to the RT. Don't get the stereo on an RT. Ya can't hear it. Get your top trunk from Chicago BMW, it's $605 there. The Rt is the best hangling, most powerful touring bike I've ever ridden. It's like sitting in the front car of a BIG roller-coaster. Woweee! I've put 8,000 miles on mine in less than 4 months. Have fun!

I loved my RT but the ergonomics were not right for me for trips..I ended up back on a Harley and now I'm waiting for an ABS equipped Electra Glide I have on order..If possible, I would say rent the RT for a day and ride it 400 - 500 miles if that's the kind of riding you do.. It would be worth whatever the dealer charged...

RichardSpag

Don't get yourself too excited about the 7.1 gallon fuel tank. Accepting that there is a 1 gallon reserve, I have yet to be able to put more than 20 litres into the tank when the low level light has been showing for 10 miles! I regularly get 210 miles before the light comes on (about 51 imperial mpg). I would weep tears of joy if I could achieve a 300 mile range at motorway speeds!

Richard Spag

Dave,

I, too, came from a Gold Wing to an R1200RT. It was a move based on emotion as well as consideration of the specs. I am a happy camper with the RT, in no small part part due to an incident that occurred this past Saturday with major implications which turned out well because my wife and I were on an RT. You can scan the "Ride well" posts to read the report.

I believe the suspension design of the BMW to be superior, period. It is compliant beyond anything else I have ridden. The Gold Wing sacrificed plushness for performance. Honda had to, due to the heft.

The difference in rated payload of the RT vs. the Gold Wing is significant. Coming from an aviation background, I pay heed to such things. My wife and I, suited up and ready to ride, nearly grossed out the GW without cargo. Go figure, Honda. We cannot max out the RT. The RT is a joy to ride, just be easy on the clutch. To Honda's credit, no one makes an engine as nice as the Gold Wing's.

I like the heated seat and grips, and would probably like ESA if I had it. I installed a Baehr comm. system, and the clarity is fantastic. It is not easy to adjust on the fly, but an iPod keeps that to a minimum. I'm sure that Autocom is fine, too.

We did not like the stock seats, so we had Russell make us "day long" saddles, and that is a huge improvement.

To summarize, the RT is worth the extra dollars to us. You just have to get over the flip attitudes of the dealerships, especially when it comes to service.

Good luck in your decision process, and happy riding.

Paul in CA

'05 R1200RT

'98 XR400R

Other vintage

I regularly get 210 miles before the light comes on (about 51 imperial mpg).

Richard Spag

Sounds more like a pessimistic light. I regularly fill up around 270 miles (about 53 mp imperial g). I reckon there is more to come but the computer says I've only got a few miles left. Richard, I think mine is pessimistic so I'm sure yours is.

Welcome to the board!!

No experience with Gold Wings, but have had my 12RT for about 2 months now. Here's my observations:

Great bike--what everybody says is true. You'll be surprized at the lightweight agilness of the bike. And the POWER!! thumbsup.gif

Don't buy:

-The stereo pkg. Overpriced & not very useful.

-BMW Nav GPS. Get the Garmin 2610 (same thing, 1/2 the price if you shop around), and get the CoPilot shelf from BMR

-The "low seat". Really awful! Really. Get the stock & later have a Russel/Mayer made.

-ESA. I have it, but not convinced it's worth the extra $$. My previous RT had Wilburs--which are EXCELLENT. You may want to go with the stock shocks, and put the extra $750 in the bank for a future purchase of Wilburs or Ohlins. Both worth the money!

-Oil level option is a gimmik that leads to more worry than anything. Just check the oil level via the sight window every time you fill up.

Good Options:

Heated Grips & Seat

Cruise control--really makes the super slaps go by easier

Tank bag is well designed, but pricey. Ditto on Top Box.

Alarm system. Good piece of mind, not too expensive.

Red Color. The others look monochrome. Faster too.

Enjoy your new bike!!

I ran mine down to where the computer indicated 1 mile left until empty. The light starts flashing at 50 miles to go.

Stopped and filled up, on centerstand and topped it as far as I could. This is to the bottom of the steel filler neck in the tank. It took 6.1 U.S. gallons.

So either it is impossible to fill all the way up. or there is a gallon left in the tank when it indicates empty.

That day was hard riding on the highway and twisties and averaged 50 mpg according to the computer over 300 miles.

Between fillups was 280 miles, so calculated mileage was 45.9 mpg.

Co

What were the things that knocked you over when you looked at the new R1200RT and what made you switch to the new RT?

I switched from a 2002 BMW R1150RS. What got my attention on the RT?

1. Significant weight reduction as opposed to the bike it replaced. With the reduction in weight the RT was barely heavier than my old "more sporty" RS.

2. Fuel capacity. It was increased slightly over the R1150RT.

3. Power. Significant increase over the old RT and my old RS.

4. Gear box improvements. It is much smoother and the gear spacing is nearly perfect (1st a little too tall).

5. Weather protection. Among the best in all of motorcycling.

6. Handling. Wider bars makes it more nimble than my old RS and the RT retains the superb stability because of the telelever front end.

My RT has the "board computer", heated seats but does not have ESA or the radio. I have already upgraded the suspension to Wilbers which are very sweet.

Folks have complained about the inaccuracy of the thermometer, oil level display and the gas gauge but while mine are somewhat inaccurate, they are consistant. What I mean is the temp reading is consistantly 4 degrees low. The gas gauge says zero miles left when I have 30 to 40 miles left and the oil level warning comes on when I brake to spot at lights and stop signs (oil level is fine). However, all of these have behaved the same way the entire 6300 miles I've put on the RT so I know how to interpret them. It is not an issue for me and I'm glad my bike came with the computer.

What else have I learned about the RT? I love the bags. Gone is the necessity to use the key everytime you need to use the bags. Gone is the funky shape of the side bags interior. Both bags will EASILY take the largest full face helmet on the market. The paint on the bags have resisted marks from boots. Any marks I have left on the bags have polished off easily unlike the matte-black bags I had on my RS.

Maintenance. In many ways this bike is a throwback to the old airheads. It's pretty clear to me that BMW put a lot of effort into making this bike easier to maintain. The exception to this are the servo-assist brakes. Everything else is easy even though you have to take the panels off to do much of the work. However removing fairing body panels is easy and simple. There is also less maintenance. No rear drive oil or clutch fluid to change. It's all lifetime.

As you can see I like my RT a lot. A lot of folks have knocked the looks of the new RT but it's clear to me that it was function which can first and form second. This is clearly a throwback to BMWs of the past where lightness, function and longevity where things BMW touted in their advertising. This RT clearl has two of this attributes and time will tell about it's longevity. This is the seventh BMW I've owned in 23 years of riding and it is by far the best of the bunch.

Good luck with your new ride!

thumbsup.gif

I also came off of a Gl1800 and went to the 12RT. I miss the smoothness of the Gl1800 engine but that is about it. I love the handling, the adjustable windscreen & the weight of the 12RT. I really don't like looking through a windscreen at all. That & weight are the primary negatives of the Gl1800. I rode my 12RT last eve in 88+ heat for over and hour and there was no heat at all coming off the bike. It truly is amazing.

The RT will feel like a toy compared to the GW.......you will not have to think so far ahead when parking and getting gas...the riding position is totally different....if your looking for that vibration free effertless power of their cars your going to be disappointed.....getting familar with all the controls and were they are located will unnerve you in the beginning......I spent many extra dollars getting all the little things worked out...Alaska Leather...new windshield...lowered pegs....large trunk....gs mirrors....Baehr intercom......just like a Harley...Good Luck

Archived