IGNORED

NHTSA Recall

Peter Collins

Peter Collins

Some time ago there was a post advising of a NHTSA recall for "Engine and Engine Cooling", on several BMW '05 models including the RT.

My question is, how do I determine if my '05 RT with VIN# WB10388075ZM16654 is included in the recall?

Thanks in advance

John Ranalletta

Applies to RT and GS

Make : BMW Model : R1200 GS Year : 2005

Build Dates : 20031102 - 20050303

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V172000

Date Owner's Notified: Date Received by ODI: 20050427 Date Added to Databse: 20050427

Manufacturer's Involved: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall: BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE

Manufacturer Campaign Number:

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 500

Summary:

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, EXPOSURE OF THE THROTTLE HOUSING TO ROAD DEBRIS COULD FALL AND BECOME CAUGHT BETWEEN THE THROTTLE-BODY AND THE ENGINE BLOCK.

Consequence:

THIS COULD RESTRICT MOVEMENT OF THE THROTTLE-CABLE PULLEY THAT, IN TURN, COULD AFFECT THROTTLE OPERATION AND INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL A COVER OVER THE THROTTLE-CABLE PULLEY. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-332-4269.

Report Initiator: MFR Vehicles Report

Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:

Notes:

CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION

Peter Collins

Thanks for the informatin John, however in your quote it only lists the GS, no RT or ST. Recalls I've seen in the past include a begining and ending VIN #.

Paul Mihalka

I think in this case it includes ALL R1200GS bikes built in the date range. A lot of GS bikes were built before the other R1200 bikes went into production.

Blue Beemer Dude
My question is, how do I determine if my '05 RT with VIN# WB10388075ZM16654 is included in the recall?

Call the dealer! They will know.

Michael

It included my R1200RT (bought in April).. They place a couple of shields around the cables to prevent something getting wedged in there..

Archived