IGNORED

Any High mileage Boxers here?

trek

I have an 06 1200 RT with mileage right at 30,000 Miles. One thing that has always intrigued me is the dependability of BMW's and the mileage reached by well maintained equipment.

Anyone here with bikes that have reached 150,000 or more miles. Also if you do have such a bike is there anything necessary to maintain them other than routine maintenance?

I just would like to hear some stories about these bikes and maybe some of the adventures taken with these machines!!

Thanks to all that respond>

My 05 R1200RT is at 139,000 plus miles with just routine maintenance...

Impressive! :clap: :clap: - that is the highest mileage Hexhead that I am aware of. Congratulation on all those safe miles.

Is it showing any signs of getting "tired?" Does it still have the original final drive?

Jay

Impressive! :clap: :clap: - that is the highest mileage Hexhead that I am aware of. Congratulation on all those safe miles.

Is it showing any signs of getting "tired?" Does it still have the original final drive?

Jay

Hey, what are ya tryin' to do, "hex" him? :grin:

Jay

Hey, what are ya tryin' to do, "hex" him? :grin:

I'm curious too!

Knock on wood, but no; no problems except the air temp readout is about 5-8 degrees high depending on wind direction, the low oil level indicator comes on and stays on when slowing down and front rotors wore below minimum at 90k.

Wow! I thought I was doing good with 70k. I do have a question for you Frank. Are you still on your original clutch and if not at what mileage did you replace it?

That's awesome Frank. That makes me feel a lot better. The job of changing the clutch on this bike does not look fun. I did it on my former 1994 R1100RS. It was not fun either.

Odometer broke on my 1980 R100RT at 89k.

Rode it for 15 more years.

Sold it and it is still running fine.

My 1970 R60/5, purchased new after I came back from Vietnam, had 175,000 miles on it when I passed it on to my son.

Replaced valves at 100,000. Never touched the clutch, trans or bottom end.

06 R1200RT with 50200 miles. Only routine maintenance looking forward to the next 50k. Note that my clutch plate was replaced at 23k due to an oil seal leak that caused occasional slipping and was replaced under warranty.

Tom from Sidestand Up has well over a 100k on his RT, and they are not easy miles either. This guy took his RT to AK up the haul road to Prudoh(sp)..

My 1996 R1100 RT had 186,000 miles when I sold it in June.

Moved to an R1200RT, which now has 58K miles(bought it used a year ago with 35K).

The R11RT was a great bike; the wind coverage is superior to my R12RT.

I did all R11 scheduled maintenance myself per the book; BMW petroleum engine oil every 6K miles; trans and rear end oil as recommended, etc.

Original clutch not changed, nothing wore out.

Only real problem was ignition (hall effect) sensor failed at 95K miles, but I believe this was BMW's fault for not recommending this area (behind the lower alternator belt pulley) be cleaned out regularly. As there's nothing to keep foreign material from falling down behind the alternator belt cover, the area around the ignition sensor becomes full of dirt, and anything else that falls down there.

My bike stopped dead in Nova Scotia following 7 miles in a rain storm. I believe the rain water mixed with the crud near the ignition sensor, making a slurry that shorted the ignition sensor triggers and failing them.

But, the mechanicals of the engine are like new (burns less than 1/2 qt od mineral oil in 6K miles.By the time I installed the new parts and arrived back home a week later, I'd forgiven the bike.

The trans was not as reliable. At about 80K, it began slipping out of gear (usually 3rd). This healed itself a bit with miles, although it never did completely rectify itself.

Biggest hassle was sticky neutral switch in trans. When hot, neutral lamp was very reluctant to go on (even though it was really in neutral). This, compounded with a failed clutch switch, meant that the bike wouldn't start. Only solution was to fiddle with gear lever until neutral lamp goes on, or replace clutch switch (big, ugly task), or tear down trans to see why neutral switch is acting up. I chose to just fiddle with gear lever on hot days.

Had no problems with rear end, chassis, brakes or suspension. Dampers likely worn out, but oh, well. Averaged 49 mpg. Replaced front and rear brake discs due to thickness worn below minimum.

Archived