IGNORED

What brake fluid flush tools do I need ?

mos

I am going to flush the brake fluid on my 05 R1200RT. I have the JVB DVD. It looks like I need some special tools. What do I need and where can I purchase them?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike--I am surprised no one has stepped in to help. I guess this too has become a routine question.

Go here. If you still have questions please PM me and I'll be happy to get on the phone and walk you through the procedure, or find a local tech day and have some one walk you through first one.

Thanks, I have the repair DVD and what you gave me should help. The one thing I needed to know was where do I purchase that funnel. I guess I have to get it from my BMW dealer. I plan on replacing the pads first and then the brake flush.

Mike

Thanks, I have the repair DVD and what you gave me should help. The one thing I needed to know was where do I purchase that funnel. I guess I have to get it from my BMW dealer. I plan on replacing the pads first and then the brake flush.

Mike

It's just a funnel - I believe most folk in the USA get theirs from McMaster Carr. I got mine from a home-brew shop, though I later saw a better one in a car-parts store.

Andy

Their looks to be some kind of rubber adapter on the end of the funnel. I quess the question should be where do I get the rubber adapter?

That is the resevoir cover - or "Vent cover with hose" to BMW - part No 34517674836 (part number found courtesy of Realoem.com )

Andy

From an earlier post. I searched "Ministan"

Order the following from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com)

4005T5 1 Each Quick-drain Clear Polymethylpentene Funnel, 8 Oz Capacity, 4-7/16"top Od, 7-3/4"o’all Height

9545K27 1 Pack Tapered Push-in Round Rubbber Plug, Through Hole, Size 2, 13/64" Hole Size

$12.11 before shipping.

Drill the stopper out a little, stick the funnel in it, stick the stopper into the fill hole with a twisting motion like you are threading it in.

I'm getting ready to go this route over the winter and will report back when finished.

Ordering the vent cap from BMW, I think, will make the Ministan Year and model specific. This seems to me like it should work on a wider range of bikes.

The latest cap is retro-fittable, so it works with all years of EVO IABS brakes. The earlier caps only fit the early bikes (different thread lengths). The rubber bungs are OK but they do weeep fluid, so put shop towels around the top of the ABS unit before you start work and wash down with plenty of water once everything is buttoned up again.

Andy

Archived