IGNORED

Gel seat

DavidAnthony

DavidAnthony

Trying to find a pennytech solution for my stock seat.

I was wondering if anyone had tried to install bicycle gel seats under the vinyl.

Does anyone have any negative thoughts to doing this.

I tried to buy spandex bicycle shorts with gel pads in them but all they had were ones with a thin pad in the crotch.

I did this mod for the stock seat on my Honda and it made a little difference. I think the pad was about $12 at walmart. If you do this and use an electric staple gun use the flat staples not the one with a point. The seat pan is to hard and makes it very difficult to shoot the pointed staples straight.

Good luck with this mod.

Les is more

The caveat I've heard about the gel under the vinyl is that it really heats up in the sun and can be REALLY toasty when you first sit down. eek.gif

I went to a medical supply store (wheelchair, ect.) and ordered a 14" x 14" "waffle" gel pad for my '99RT. Then to an upholster shop to have it fitted under the vinyl. It cost under a $100.00 and works great. It can get hot in the summer, but then I usually use a sheepskin with it.

DavidAnthony

Which would you rather have a Russel Day LOng seat or and Airhawk for you and your pillion. Not a lot of difference in the price.

...Not a lot of difference in the price.

I wish that were true blush.gif Airhawks are about $165. RDL's (dual passenger and pillion) for an RT start at $550.

Regards,

Mike O

DavidAnthony

I guess what I meant was that I needed 2 Airhawks (pillion)

and the cheapest seat appeared to be around $450. So for a $100 more I could get a custom seat.

I just got back from a auto uphostelry shop who said they could remove some of the original foam and replace it with a softer version. Hoping this might be enough to save our butts. Will let you know when I get the seats back.

Archived