IGNORED

After18k service idle is BAD

Deek

Earlier this week I had the dealer do the 18k service on my RT. I've owned the bike for about 6 months and 6k miles. It ran well prior to the service.

I picked up the bike this week after it was serviced and all seemed well for about 100 miles or so. Then it started stalling at a stop, and eventually got to the point that the idle was really rough, going between about 700 and 1100 rpm. It was hard to keep running long enough to get some speed going. Once at speed it seems to run fine.

I called the dealer to tell him I'm coming in early next week. But has anyone a clue as to what might be happening? I kinda figure something was not done correctly with the throttle synch? But really I have no idea what that even is - but is there maybe something that could have not been tightened or whatever?

My first guess would be a vacuum leak. One of the throttle bodies could have popped partway out of the boot.

Then, of course, it could be a defective spark plug.......Though it would be less likely to run well at speed with a bad plug.

Probably something simple.......Good Luck!

Earlier this week I had the dealer do the 18k service on my RT. I've owned the bike for about 6 months and 6k miles. It ran well prior to the service.

I picked up the bike this week after it was serviced and all seemed well for about 100 miles or so. Then it started stalling at a stop, and eventually got to the point that the idle was really rough, going between about 700 and 1100 rpm. It was hard to keep running long enough to get some speed going. Once at speed it seems to run fine.

I called the dealer to tell him I'm coming in early next week. But has anyone a clue as to what might be happening? I kinda figure something was not done correctly with the throttle synch? But really I have no idea what that even is - but is there maybe something that could have not been tightened or whatever?

Deek, difficult to tell much without a hand on the bike but it’s very possible you have a fouled lower spark plug or failed lower stick coil.. Could also be a stepper motor that is somehow not working properly or not finding a proper home-seat at startup..

Probably best to take it back.. You could try pulling the battery cable for about 1 minute to reset the IAC (stepper motor) learn,, then doing a TPS re-learn but even if that helped it wouldn’t tell you the WHY of what happened.. Re setting the computer could also kill some stored failure codes so the dealer might miss an important clue when pulling stored codes..

Twisty

My first guess would be a vacuum leak. One of the throttle bodies could have popped partway out of the boot.

Then, of course, it could be a defective spark plug.......Though it would be less likely to run well at speed with a bad plug.

Probably something simple.......Good Luck!

Re: Vacuum leak possibility....I found the balance hose going to the right side throttle body was so loose it possibly could have sucked air....I didn't have the problems you are having but put a tie wrap tightly around it.....You might pull the right side plastic and take a look...The left body has a rubber cap on it....Might check that too if the right hose is OK.......

Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen. I agree it is probably something simple, and probably something that was caused by the trip to the dealer. In any even, my RT is still on warranty for another 10 month (or 18k miles), so I'm not too worried about it. I'm just irritated, you know?

Had same problem. Was too busy to get back to dealer. When finally got there, I questioned TB adjustment. Vaccuum line had fallen off! Was not just idle that was off, I just thought that was the problem. Felt a bit.... stupid.... but if dealer felt stupid for not putting the line on tight enough, it didn't show..

Steve

R1200ST 05

Well, I rode the bike the next day to take it back to the dealer. It ran 100%. I almost turned around and went back home, but figured what the heck I am nearly there now......

Turned out the rubber boot that goes over the injector was not properly seated when I picked the bike up after it's 18k service. At least I know where to look if it runs oddly again......

Now I remember why I change my own oil and filters (usually). :Cool:

Archived