IGNORED

supermoto stuff

Matts_12GS

I've been watching supermoto racing and it seems like a cool thing to do. I've been wanting both a dirt and a track day bike and with the help of an extra set of wheels/tires could give me both bikes in one package. This would free me up to bend the bike in either pursuit and not hurt my RT.

Anyone have any thoughts on how feasible this is? What about the bike? I'd like to do it cheaply of course, and have no issue with doing the work on my own. I don't believe that I'd need much more than a 450-650cc bike. Anyone?

Matt,

I think you are on the right path with Supermoto - it is a great, low cost alternative to a track day superbike. You can get a one cyclinder bike and run it on the track or at supermoto or both. Last track day I was on the throttle early in to the main straight at my local track on my Ducati, and when I caught up to two kids no older than my son on Supermotard bikes, they both wheelied and just rode along next to me as I searched for the sweet spot in the Duc's low-end torque band. Very cool - I am a Supermoto bike fan...

Matt:

It is quite feasible. I have a neighbor who did just that with a CRF-230. He is rather short and light which is why he went with the 230. A second set of wheels/tires, new front brake rotor, front caliper hanger and maybe a second drive chain and sprocket set so you can change gearing should be about all you need. I have thought about doing the same with my XR.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Any reason that a 650GS would be an inappropriate bike? I'd imagine that it's not supported in the aftermarket catagory as well, but is there a brand or style that is better than another for this sort of thing?

just starting to check this out myself. I have a two stroke 1994 honda CR 200 or 250, not sure which, I just purchased, mainly for off road. I would like to shorten my bike list, and I am considering selling my kawasaki EX500 track bike. Buy the wheels, and different sprocket sets, and give this bike a try. Any bike will do, but generally I think you could get a much cheaper, but equally effective bike, than a BMW GS.

mikefigielski

I went to one race to watch and bought an XR600R set up for Supermoto the next week off Ebay! Of course the wheels were bent and it needed a little work, but it is street legal and has two sets of wheels (and rotors and sprockets now). I have been swamped with work, so I haven't got it finished yet, but I'm sure it will be ready to go for next year. Kick starting a high compression 628cc single is an experience!! dopeslap.gif

Mike

Look for a local group in yoru area and find out what classes they race. I can tell you now that teh smaller bikes are a blast! TTR125, XR100, etc... and there are usually more people running in those classes. Its cheaper to run in those classes and it helps you learn to race when you aren't muscling a big honking bike around the track. Its also humbling. There you are, whizzing around the track at what appears to be to you a record setting pace on your tricked out CRF150. You setup for the next curve, totally in the zone, rolloff throttle, lean waaaaaaaaayyyyyy over till you start dragging you knee, WHOOOEEEEEE!!! I'm eating this track up!!!

Next thing you know. A 10 year old on a 50cc bike blows by you on the INSIDE of the curve waving at you when he dusts you.... eek.gif

Check out our local groups site. Then look for a group similar in your area.

Archived