IGNORED

nOOb intro: RT Russ

BeniciaRT_GT

Last week before the DVD Pre-Run, I had a couple of days off prior to leaving on Fri. morning.

I had met Russ when he came down for this:attempt at troubleshooting his brake problem.

Although my GS911 wouldn't talk to his bike, we did discuss that he had wanted to come to our Tech Daze and I offered up that I would be happy to do a mini/one on one version. Well it took a few weeks, but our schedules (mostly mine, he was quite flexible actually) allowed us to hook up last Wednesday so I thought I'd let Y'all meet one of the newer members:

When he got there Wed. we quickly pulled the tupperware and put the fan on the motor to get it cooled down for a valve adjust:

414475886_JWv2V-L.jpg

Then, using the proper BMW tool of course, we drained his tranny oil:

414476002_CEzAp-L.jpg

Then, we decided the bike wasn't cool enough, so we decided to start on a cigar and then get the valve covers off and check the valves:

414476063_qBrBL-L.jpg

We went through the throttle sync procedure and then buttoned it all up. His test ride was the short ride home: (he only lives about 15 miles from us)

414476113_YCXDC-L.jpg

A phone call 30 minutes later firmed up our suspicions that it would run much better, since the left side was way too tight on the valve adjust and once adjusted properly quite out on the sync too...

So we had a good time, Russ got to get his bike tuned up and can now do his own services, and I got to play in the garage! A win/win!!!

I look forward to riding with and seeing Russ at some events soon. Of course first he has to get over having to pay for his ABS controller/pump going out and getting replaced last Friday at 12,000 miles on his brand new (to him) RT.

Welcome to the board Russ, and I know you'll like it here since I didn't scare you off. You will be just fine once you find out most of the other folks are much more normal!

Ride it out, we'll dive in! I've been wanted a demo bike (not willing to tear mine up) to figure out how to get the spark plugs out and the coolant refilled. I'm not willing to try on mine so that is all the dealer does to it.

Let's play!!!

Thanks Richard, I really appreciate the help with my bike. It's running great and even smells a little less like gear oil every day now (since the high-tech drain pipe got tranny oil all over my catalytic converter and your floor). The recent sunny weather has got me in the mood to go for a good ride but all I've had time for is back and forth to work.

Francois_Dumas

Welcome Russ ! Back and forth to work is better than having the darn thing sitting under a tarp all month due to bad weather ! :grin:

Hey Richard, can you do mine too..... I've made plans servicing it myself a year ago and that's how far I got up to this day: plans ! :dopeslap:

Welcome Russ ! Back and forth to work is better than having the darn thing sitting under a tarp all month due to bad weather ! :grin:

Hey Richard, can you do mine too..... I've made plans servicing it myself a year ago and that's how far I got up to this day: plans ! :dopeslap:

I'm on it... How's next Thursday work for you?

Sounds like it was a good day! I wish there was somebody in South Florida who would to teach me how to do this soon. I feel left out way down here in paradise.

Francois_Dumas

I'm on it... How's next Thursday work for you?

Awww, shucks, the ONE day next week I'm already committed !

:grin:

I live in Walnut Creek and am willing to ride some distance if someone was willing to help me do the same. A dealer service just isn't in the cards right now financially.

I have a 1100RTP, 2001.

I know this bike can run better.

I live in Walnut Creek and am willing to ride some distance if someone was willing to help me do the same. A dealer service just isn't in the cards right now financially.

I have a 1100RTP, 2001.

I know this bike can run better.

PM sent...

It is a scheduling thing, as you'll soon see! :grin::dopeslap::wave:

"I wish there was somebody in South Florida who would to teach me how to do this soon. I feel left out way down here in paradise."

Take the tupperware off, buy some oil and filter and provide lunch, and I will ride down to show you how it's done. I live a couple of miles east of Tampa, which isn't South Florida. But this is the South where the sun's always shinin' and the birds are always poopin' and it ain't never too cold to ride.

Archived