IGNORED

R1100R rear shock preload adjustment... >>

BalancePoint

How do you do it? I think it seems pretty clear that you hook up the supplied wrench to the slotted ring below the spring, but is there some kind of release before you twist it, or is just naturally a living mother to turn? Mine doesn't want to go either way with quite a bit of force, but before I broke the thing I figured I should ask:

What's the technique for adjusting rear shock preload on an R1100R? It's the stock Showa shock. I don't have a manual.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You got it right, there is no release and it takes some effort. You might want to try and clean and lubricate the area as the collar you turn can get gunked up with dirt.

Also, you should have an extension piece in the toolkit that attaches to the hook spanner to give you a more leverage. The extension piece is a round tube with the end flattened to fit over the spanner.

Alternately get an aftermarket shock with hydraulic preload, or maybe a stock RT might fit - it has hyd. preload adjustment, someone here would have to confirm fitment to an R1100R.

You got it right, there is no release and it takes some effort. You might want to try and clean and lubricate the area as the collar you turn can get gunked up with dirt.

Also, you should have an extension piece in the toolkit that attaches to the hook spanner to give you a more leverage. The extension piece is a round tube with the end flattened to fit over the spanner.

Alternately get an aftermarket shock with hydraulic preload, or maybe a stock RT might fit - it has hyd. preload adjustment, someone here would have to confirm fitment to an R1100R.

Thank you. I hadn't even considered the extension thing...

Definitely one of the many benefits of an aftermarket shock. I did get the remote pre-load adjuster because I vary the weight I carry on the bike so frequently. I am sure your preload adjustment is full of crud and grit. Good luck.

Archived