IGNORED

Tools required for oilhead maint.?

waylap

I'd like to jump into the more in depth maintainance on an 04 RT and need to know what tools to get. I'll need whatever normally goes with the big maint. intervals- feeler gauges ,TB sync stuff? You tell me, it's all new to me but if I could just get the instruments together, I know I'll have plenty of instruction available to do the job right.

I already do all the fluids but havn't touched the cylinders or spark plugs.

Other than my DMM, metric tool kit, Hex bit and Torx bit assortment and clicker torque wrench, here's what I bought that were BMW specific and that make my life easier:

- BMW Oil filter wrench.

- Marc Parnes cable adjusters.

- Set of Wurth Feeler gauges

- Morgan Carbtune (IMHO - much easier than the fiddly arsed TwinMax Battery driven Frog contraption).

- Mini-Stan "contraption" for my iABS brake bleed obtained from rosemab.

- Speedbleeders to replace all stock bleed valves together with Speedbleeder bag and tubing combo (Reuseable). .

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

one of these

I would also recomend a couple of torque wrenches. Craftsman Digitorques are pretty nice but the microtorques do the job too.

If you think you might want to remove the final drive assembly you will need a 30mm socket and a 12mm hex drive (allen drive)

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

round feeler gauge for the sparkplugs - flat feeler guages for the valves (2 sets) (feelers mentioned but this critical info omitted)

spark plug socket. good luck - i ended up having to use the one in the tool kit which means you cant use a torgue wrench (oh! EE - 11101110) just called this out

tool that allow you to spin out the tupper wear screws (variable speed drill, electric screw driver.

strap to attach front wheel to center stand so you dont pop the bike off the stand.

shop vac to clean out the airbox

compress air to clear around the sparkplugs prior/at removal

containers and rags and cardboard and illumination and music.

antiseize

Marc Parnes cable adjuster! On the Marc Parnes Website it is called a Throttle Body Adjuster. I would love to get my hands on one of these, but they are out of production according to the site. Is there any other source for this labor/frustration-saving device?

Thanks, Mike

I used a spare socket and milled slots in it to accept whatever I put through the spark plug wrench in the tool kit then use the torque wrench on the socket. Works for me.

You could always ask Marc directly if he will be making more!

Perhaps he would be more amenable to making them if you ordered a batch of them. How about with other members of the R1100/R1150 fraternity on the board???

round feeler gauge for the sparkplugs - flat feeler guages for the valves (2 sets) (feelers mentioned but this critical info omitted)

unquote

Oy! Not by me it wasn't mate :eek:!!! If you followed the linky it led you to the set of 4, appropriate reasons why and the cost :thumbsup:!

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

Hi Philby - re: Oy! Not by me

hmm i went to the link and i don't see any round feelers.... :(

took me a while to understand that your emphasis was on the FOUR gauges for valves whereas mine was on the need for ROUND + flat guages.

sorry i need to learn how to write.

Philby must be appeased. :wave:

change this: "round feeler gauge for the sparkplugs - flat feeler guages for the valves (2 sets) (feelers mentioned but this critical info omitted)"

to this: round feeler gauge for the sparkplugs - flat feeler guages for the valves (2 sets) note you need both round and flat feelers - just wanted to point this out as not been mentioned.

Ok Neville Chamberlain :wave:. Peace in our time!!!

Ok...by round feelers, am I correct in assuming that you refer to the black donut looking feeler gauge with various wire hoops representing different spark plug gaps arrayed around its circumference?

If so, then it all becomes clear(er :eek:)...hehehe!

Stay sane

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

by george you're right! the actual 'business end' is not 'round' -- but rather cylindrical - formed into a "U"

:dopeslap: <

:( << geometrically challenged>>

all hail Philby - Der 'Shape-meister' :clap:

I have the round spark plug adjusting tool from Snap On tools. Cheap and very accurate. It does not have the 'U' shaped wire loops. I believe it to be a better design.

Linz :)

Consider getting Jim VonBaden's DVD's......He shows tools needed for each task at the beginning of the segment...

That would be a good place to start and add other stuff (we all do)as you go along with specific brands or items suggested here....

JimVonBaden@msn.com

Consider getting Jim VonBaden's DVD's......He shows tools needed for each task at the beginning of the segment...

That would be a good place to start and add other stuff (we all do)as you go along with specific brands or items suggested here....

JimVonBaden@msn.com

Here is my tool list, which will let you do nearly anything on the bike that a reasonably competant person could expect to do at home. It is actually my carry kit!

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/page006.aspx

Jim :Cool:

I'd like to jump into the more in depth maintainance on an 04 RT and need to know what tools to get.

See if somebody is planning a Tech Day near you. Then you can see all these goodies up close. If all else fails, find someone locally who works on their bike and make friends. If they have a bike lift, consider moving next door!

IMHO, Jim's DVDs are a must! Good luck.

I'd like to jump into the more in depth maintainance on an 04 RT and need to know what tools to get.

See if somebody is planning a Tech Day near you. Then you can see all these goodies up close. If all else fails, find someone locally who works on their bike and make friends. If they have a bike lift, consider moving next door!

IMHO, Jim's DVDs are a must! Good luck.

A tech day would be great. Anyone in Florida want to plan something?

Don't know about any drawings of the part. Mr. Parnes got back to me very quickly and stated regretfully that the financial outlay of tooling up for restarting the manufacture of the part did not justify the demand, which I can certainly understand. Someone,( I forgot who) did have one at one of SAMSAR's Northeast Tech Days. It looked like such a simple device yet it worked so well. I will definitely pounce on one should I come across it.

Steve Kolenda

Thanks to Marc I have a drawing and before I tried to find someone to make them I need to have an idea of how many could be sold. Please let me know if you have an interest.

Archived