IGNORED

Retrofitting a heated seat

kalpol

What all would be involved with retrofitting a heated seat to my 04 1150RT, as factory-like as possible? I would probably buy a custom saddle and just get a heated version, so I don'tneed to source a factory heated seat, but wiring, and where is the factory switch located?

Thanks!

What all would be involved with retrofitting a heated seat to my 04 1150RT, as factory-like as possible? I would probably buy a custom saddle and just get a heated version, so I don'tneed to source a factory heated seat, but wiring, and where is the factory switch located?

Thanks!

Alas, the R1150RT has never had heated seats as a factory option. You are limited to the aftermarket.

For the most 'factory' looking switch gear, consider the Authority Switch which is available with several logos and fits to the bars in the same way as the radio controls.

Andy

I muust be one of the few people that find the factory comfort seat to be good. When I found that I could get Cee Bailey to install heat in it for me I did so. The switch is installed in the side of the seat. I also had the passenger seat heated. Cee Bailey's standard way of doing this would have had one switch to do both sections. I asked them to put a separate switch in each section. Which they did for no extra charge. There is also a company that sells the heating element for DIY. If you are interested in that I will look up the url for you.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

Hi Kalpol. you should try riding with clothes on - then you wouldn't need the heated seat. :grin:

But seriously I have done a lot of riding in the last couple of week (2000 km) a lot of it in temperature of 2 to 4 C (I see you are in texas so to translate, works out to 1259 fathom-barrel per acre-slugs) :) . the point is about the only thing which is insulated by 3" of foam is the part of me on the seat! this is the part of the rider least likely to get cold. I have riding gear (obviously - this a bmw forum - :dopeslap:): pants (came w. 2 liners), boots, jacket w. liner, gloves (deerskin &lined), scarf (cover that jugular) else un-bundled parts would be quickly frozen and drop off. :cry:

so maybe you could layer up with some riding clothes. one of the nice things about 'cooler' weather is that you can put on all your armour with sweating to death. :Cool:

i would be happy to be contradicted and someone tell me that having a heated seat is 'the best thing ever' but i cant see any way to get around not layering up. of the things to spend money on easy choice for me: warm clothes. i would go for heated vest if you want to create employment for idle electrons. my 0.02 (send money! :D ) cheers.

i would be happy to be contradicted and someone tell me that having a heated seat is 'the best thing ever' but i cant see any way to get around not layering up.

Well consider yourself contradicted! Well at least partially. Good clothes (included heated clothes) are must in some situations, and I have it all, but even then that extra source of warmth from the posterior is well worth the $$ in my bony-arz opinion.

i would be happy to be contradicted and someone tell me that having a heated seat is 'the best thing ever' but i cant see any way to get around not layering up. of the things to spend money on easy choice for me: warm clothes. i would go for heated vest if you want to create employment for idle electrons. my 0.02 (send money! :D ) cheers.

The seat may not be the cheapest / best option, but it is an interface point, (just like hands). If it means that some heat is being pumped into your body, rather than attempting to contain what is being radiated/convected/conducted away from it, then that makes it a worthy option. And of course, just like the heated grips (now, they are brilliant!), you don't have to ti yourself to the bike with electric string, just plump your backside down, and et-voila, heat travelling the correct way.

So, my personal favourites in cost/benefit order are:

1/. heated grips

2/. heated waistcoat

3/. heated seat.

Now, has anyone done experiments with a heat exchanger around the downpipes and then into the fairing/foot pocket? :clap:

Andy

Now, has anyone done experiments with a heat exchanger around the downpipes and then into the fairing/foot pocket? :clap:

I hear Honda sucessfully mastered that type of system on the ST1300, but unfortunately, it doesn't have an off switch for when it is 90 degrees out! :grin:

Archived