IGNORED

Dec 5-6-7 Desert Ride Campout in ARIZONA

azkaisr

Hey folks.

I don't have any idea what the eatin schedule is gonna be like with some in the dirt, some on the road, and some hangin out all day. Some comin and goin from home, others prolly want to go out and eat.

Louise is gonna bring some food. The nearest grocery store is 20 minutes away and places to eat are at least that far.

*Chris* is bringin some sausage.

Mrs Whip wants to bring the entire grocery store and meat department. She's mad cause I won't let her.

I guess we'll figure it out when we get there.

......or get a count and have a meal schedule and menu. Which is what Mrs Whip wants. She usual gets what she wants, but this time I think it may keep her cooking and cleaning for 3 days instead of having fun.

What do y'all think????????????????????????????

Whip

Not sure what she likes to do in her spare time, if cooking makes her happiest, then that is best. If kicking back in a hammock reading a book is her thing, then I say we do meals otherwise and let her relax.

I am pretty easy. As long as we don't eat at Wendy's every night like my brother and I did in Silver City.

I have passenger pegs on my 690 if we decide to go into town for dinner, Mrs. Whip could ride with me. Assuming she is not like my wife and scared to death of motorcycles and she has the necessary clothing.

Not sure what she likes to do in her spare time, if cooking makes her happiest, then that is best. If kicking back in a hammock reading a book is her thing, then I say we do meals otherwise and let her relax.

I am pretty easy. As long as we don't eat at Wendy's every night like my brother and I did in Silver City.

I have passenger pegs on my 690 if we decide to go into town for dinner, Mrs. Whip could ride with me. Assuming she is not like my wife and scared to death of motorcycles and she has the necessary clothing.

Tom is bringin the jeep, John LT is bring SUV....I'll have the 950adv. I'm sure we can make it work if we go to town.

Louise will be in the jeep with Tom check out the back country during the day.

Quick question, will we be carrying FRS/GMRS radios? Or is there cell service in the area?

I'll have three radio if Tom remembers to bring my other two????

I don't know about cell service?????

Quick question, will we be carrying FRS/GMRS radios? Or is there cell service in the area?

I'll have three radio if Tom remembers to bring my other two????

I don't know about cell service?????

I can bring 4 FRS/GMRS radios. However, when riding dirt my radio sits in my camelback and I can't hear it. Therefore it is only of use when I'm off the bike. I figure it's possibly of some help in an emergency.

Regards the meals, I'm happy with any arrangement. I think it would be good to be able to eat dinner at the campground if we are drinking. But I'm happy to wait for my drink until I get back from dinner. So either way works for me regards dinner.

This is good:

267059441_taq3V-L.jpg

(No, Libby's, not the liquor store, you nut cases :D ) How about one night we cook at the campground: grilled something and rice (no oven needed), and one night we go to Globe

Lunches obviously need to be carried... I just need to know if I'm bringing my own or chipping in to your deal. Cold cuts, bread and a banana? Snack packs, whatever. Easy is good. Everyone should carry their own so they have it if they go off on their own. We can put some extra in the jeeps if want.

Breakfast is where I think we should plan on camp eating for sure. We'll lose 2-3 hours going to town, and days are short. But honestly I think this could be very simple. Coffee, cold cereal and milk, maybe oatmeal at most on the hot side. I can cover breakfast if you all like that menu.

That said, I think everyone should bring their own plate, bowl, eating utensils, and mugs. That will really reduce complexity for Louise.

There is a restaurant fairly close for breakfast, but I don't know I'd want to do dinner there if I had the choice of BBQ at the camp site. Globe is about 25-30 miles away. I know El Ray is an icon, but honestly when I was there I thought it was marginal at best - maybe it was what I had.

There is a grocery store about 12 miles away from the camp site, but meat may be a crap shoot.

Whip, let Louise at least bring 1/2 the grocery store :smile: :Cool:

On a scale of 1-10, I give El Rey a 4. I ate there a couple weeks ago and the chips were actually "dripping". Ok place but not worth the drive IMHO.

I believe there are grills there so we could bring some steaks or hamburger stuff. I'll try to bring a variety and enough for 2 or 3 folks because those riding their bikes, won't have much room. We can also make a food run on Saturday once we know how many are there. My last count was 16.

Cell service is not great near Roosevelt, so radios would be best to have--

Keep in mind that even the GMRS 3 or 5 watt systems don't get much more that 1/2 mile so are of marginal utility except in group rides where everyone is fairly close together.

Considering the age of some of the participants, meal planning should not be a priority. Just lay in a supply of this to ensure a good time.

buy_ensure.jpg

I'm thinking 2 bikes. I'll be riding 3 days so 2 days on the KLX and one day on the GSA. I'd like to do the Young, Payson loop with possibly an out-and-back to Tortilla flats. That's about 230 miles total and half GS ridable dirt.

There is a restaurant fairly close for breakfast, but I don't know I'd want to do dinner there if I had the choice of BBQ at the camp site. Globe is about 25-30 miles away. I know El Ray is an icon, but honestly when I was there I thought it was marginal at best - maybe it was what I had.

There is a grocery store about 12 miles away from the camp site, but meat may be a crap shoot.

Whip, let Louise at least bring 1/2 the grocery store :smile: :Cool:

Yeah, but look at the company you kept! Howard and I were worth the price of the food alone!! :rofl:

Day after tomorrow! I can't wait.

I'm gonna have to force Mrs Whip to leave room for us.

You ain't gonna believe it.

Wait a minute! She promised me two drawers and a closet to put my stuff!

Whip, are you bringing firewood or do you want me to bring some? With the size of the firepit, we'll need quite a bit.

As an aside, I just got back from a ride up Mount Lemmon (outside of Tucson) and there was snow on the ground near the top. It will be cool at night and early morning.

We prolly should both bring as much as we can. It's gonna get dark early and you have two Aggies with ya.

Chris......forget about the closet.

:thumbsup:

As an aside, I just got back from a ride up Mount Lemmon (outside of Tucson) and there was snow on the ground near the top. It will be cool at night and early morning.

Will the alternator on that KLX250 run your heated jacket liner? I wonder if the one on my 690 would?

I think I will just pop more wheelies. Those always warm me up.

I just got back from a ride up Mount Lemmon (outside of Tucson) and there was snow on the ground near the top. It will be cool at night and early morning.

Snow who cares about a little snow......

327303465_ghTiS-L.jpg

I'll just turn the heat up.

;)

I just got back from a ride up Mount Lemmon (outside of Tucson) and there was snow on the ground near the top. It will be cool at night and early morning.

Snow who cares about a little snow......

327303465_ghTiS-L.jpg

I'll just turn the heat up.

;)

You call that camping????

So what did you guys decide about food?

So what did you guys decide about food?

Mrs Whip has already prepared some breakfast casseroles.....

Johnlt has somethin for Friday night....

Mrs Whip has hotdogs,(Nathans) burgers, and chicken for the other nights. I imagine she'll have some side dishes as well. Lunch will prolly be sandwich stuff.

Please feel free to bring anything else you may want or think someone else may wish to try.

The Bar will be pretty well stocked, but again, bring anything you want, we can always use more.

I'm not an experienced "camper", I expect y'all to cover anything I forget.

BTW....I don't know how far the nearest gas station is so I'm bringin 5 gallons of extra gas on the trailer. Y'all may wish to do the same.

Whip

So to clarify:

You (and John for Friday night) are bringing basic food for breakfast. lunches and dinners. We should plan on bringing whatever else we want, gas for our bikes, and chipping in to you guys for what you are bringing?

Did I get that right?

So to clarify:

You (and John for Friday night) are bringing basic food for breakfast. lunches and dinners. We should plan on bringing whatever else we want, gas for our bikes, and chipping in to you guys for what you are bringing?

Did I get that right?

Mrs. Whip says your covered......she likes you.....I don't know why????????????

:dopeslap:

It was Thursday night I mentioned but either way, I'll have the braut. I'm bringing some charcoal for the grills also.

It was Thursday night I mentioned but either way, I'll have the braut. I'm bringing some charcoal for the grills also.

Sorry...my bad.

JohnLT has Thursday night covered.....

....any one wanna bring some Rum.

I got ....

Cabernet

Vodka

Gin

Scotch

Bourbon

Champagne

...no Rum???????????????????

I don't know what happen.......maybe I spent too much time with the Captain.

Starting to get pretty excited about this....

What do you say locals, which way is it quicker to the campground, coming from LA on I-10. Taking US-60 to Globe and then north on 188, or 87 to Jakes Corner and south on 188? Pretty much a wash?

Any road construction or other such mess that would make a difference in one way or another?

--

Mikko

The shortest by far would be 88 through Tortilla Flats but prolly not the fastest. There is only 6 miles difference in your two routes with via Globe being 6 miles farther but 87 may be a slower road so prolly close to a wash.

OK I am going to work the final details with the Forest Service today about keys etc. I got a packet from them last night that I need to go open and read. This is a crucial step I think ;)

Anyway, all is looking good. JohnLT, when are you arriving? I may have to work later Thursday and even go to dinner. This would mean an early Friday arrival for me.

Anyway more later...

OK I am going to work the final details with the Forest Service today about keys etc. I got a packet from them last night that I need to go open and read. This is a crucial step I think ;)

Anyway, all is looking good. JohnLT, when are you arriving? I may have to work later Thursday and even go to dinner. This would mean an early Friday arrival for me.

Anyway more later...

I'm off Thursday and can open the site if needed.

Thanks Chris

As it stands right now I won't know the final word until tomorrow since the one woman that manages the campground is out today. I faxed in the paperwork and once I hear in the morning, I will let you know.

Tom

...no Rum???????????????????

I don't know what happen.......maybe I spent too much time with the Captain.

Would Meyers Dark Rum work?

...don't go breakin the piggy bank for us.

We ain't worth it........but we are worthy.

Don't worry, I have already gone to the liquor store, so you will have to live with Meyers.

I just checked the website of a chain of liquor stores I do some work for for the Estate Reserve and didn't see it. They do have a bottle called just Reserve.

Each Case Case

Description Size Price Price Size

APPLETON RUM * ESTATE 21YR 6/CS 750ML 84.16 451.58 [ 6]

APPLETON RUM * ESTATE V/X 1.75L 30.39 162.28 [ 6]

APPLETON RUM * ESTATE EXTRA 750ML 26.27 278.08 [12]

APPLETON RUM * RESERVE 750ML 24.20 259.08 [12]

APPLETON RUM * ESTATE V/X LT 22.82 243.68 [12]

APPLETON RUM * GOLD 1.75L 22.09 118.69 [ 6]

APPLETON RUM * WHITE [JAMAICA] 1.75L 22.09 118.69 [ 6]

APPLETON RUM * WHITE LT 18.87 210.31 [12]

APPLETON RUM * GOLD LT 18.82 209.72 [12]

APPLETON RUM * ESTATE V/X 750ML 18.66 199.37 [12]

APPLETON RUM * GOLD [JAMACIA] 750ML 13.45 144.37 [12]

APPLETON RUM * WHITE [JAMAICA] 750ML 13.45 144.37 [12]

Over all the prices don't look too bad.

Tom, I was planning on arriving by noon on Thursday but as you know, I'm pretty flexible.

Yeah but you don't want to swing by my office to get the paperwork. For Mr Olson, it is on the way.

Archived