IGNORED

Dec 5-6-7 Desert Ride Campout in ARIZONA

azkaisr

Ok we have been working since Torrey on putting together a ride in early December out here in Arizona that will be well a little different. We had so much fun on Boulder that some of us want to do it again.

363268373_UWxw8-L.jpg

First off I have booked us the Group Campground spot at Lake Roosevelt (Frazier Group Campground) east of Phoenix to be our base camp. Whip is coming out with his RV and maybe one or two more will be there as well. Also, there will be a few big tents and small to make this sort of a new experience. It is close enough to Payson, and Globe if you want a room too. There will be bathrooms there and I am confirming hookups but I know there is a dumping station nearby for any that want to come out. Plenty of room and the weather should be great during the day and not too cold at night.

The riding will be dual sport/dirt/jeep for some, and I am sure that others who want to ride some great paved roads out in our neck of the woods will also be there.

339841186_AfcvL-L.jpg

The entire group campground is less the $200 and we will discuss meals and such once we get a better handle on things.

So let me know if you are interested in joining us for some fun. Odds are I will have the Jeep and the Mr G still so there won't be a problem if you want to ride off road part of the time if you don't have a street bike. But space will be 1st come 1st serve as usual.

More info to come but hope to see some of you folks out there.

Thanks Tom

Come one come all!!!!!!!!

The RV is a 40 footer with a full size stove/frig/shower.......it will be available for everyone to use. Mrs Whip is already working on a menu for outside group dinners.

I'm lookin forward to it. We may stay an extra day or two.

Whip

The Squirrel and I are in. Arriving Friday night, leaving Monday? I'll be trailering since I will have at least 3 dirt bikes to bring (and probably a bicycle or two).

The Squirrel and I are in. Arriving Friday night, leaving Monday? I'll be trailering since I will have at least 3 dirt bikes to bring (and probably a bicycle or two).

I'll make sure to flatten your bike tires.

:/

IN for sure. Assuming there will be dirt bikes there (Killer and Whip), I'll trailer my KLX. I can bring some firewood on the trailer if desired or we can burn some of Whip's old tires. This really sounds great. If I trailer, I'll bring a big tent if the GSA, I'll bring the small tent. This really sounds like fun.

OK, the KLX it is!! We might want to mention that for anyone with just a street bike, there are some great paved roads around there also; we can post a couple good road-bike rides for those interested. This isn't a dry county is it???

This isn't a dry county is it???

Did I leave out the part about the bar in the RV?????

:grin:

...bring that little silver challis.....I'll fill it.

Calvin  (no socks)

The bicycle needs spokes tightened and the tires aired up! I was told not to ride it until this important maintenence was done.

The bicycle needs spokes tightened and the tires aired up! I was told not to ride it until this important maintenence was done.

You know for about $300 you could catch a flight from Orlando to Phoenix and do the work yourself. Hell I bet Bob would pay for you to come out just for that!

Oh and I just checked Southwest Airlines

Tom

I have my own personal bicycle mechanic now, she's done all that, changed the seat, cleaned and lubed the chain and more, and I still haven't ridden it...

This sounds really really good...

Pretty much the only (reasonable) way how I can make it is if I can leave my trailer, with the bikes on it, somewhere safe there in Phoenix area. It would have to stay there over the holidays...

--

Mikko

IN. Arriving Friday afternoon, heading back home Sunday evening or on Monday.

The trailer will have to stay somewhere there, we can figure out the details when I get there. Thanks for both John and Chris for extending their invitation to store my junk.

--

Mikko

Sounds great Mikko. We'll take care of your stuff. Both Chris and I are pretty familiar with E-Bay!

...and I'll bring some extra cash just in case you leave somethin I may want.......to avoid the E-Bay fees.

IN. Arriving Friday afternoon, heading back home Sunday evening or on Monday.

The trailer will have to stay somewhere there, we can figure out the details when I get there. Thanks for both John and Chris for extending their invitation to store my junk.

--

Mikko

You can keep it a my house,Fountain Hills is not very far from the lake,,I well try to get up to the lake for a night,,Let me know,,,I dont have a EBAY account,,

Where are the rest of you desert bums? The Duck, Couch, Steve1150 and those lollygagers who call themselves some sort of pastry crew? Tony K, you can't bring the Mog? Heck and the other 49ers in Central CA? Sheesh.

Where are the rest of you desert bums? The Duck, Couch, Steve1150 and those lollygagers who call themselves some sort of pastry crew? Tony K, you can't bring the Mog? Heck and the other 49ers in Central CA? Sheesh.

I guess I don't count as a desert bum :cry::(

For me, it's between

1. The LSAT, Sharon's company X-mas party and the Beehive Beemer's X-mas party, or

2. You.

Now which would you pick?

Jan

Thanks guys. The trailer IS kind of nuisance there in the garage and don't even get me started about the bikes. Good riddance say I....

See you all down by the lake!

--

Mikko

I'm currently planning on dirt bike but there are great paved roads in the area for those with just street bikes. Don't let the "dirt ride" stop you from coming.

Is anyone else bringing a street bike, or is this dirt only?

I'm sure there's gonna be a few street bikes......KMG365 and Phillyflash are bringin street bikes. Mr Chris Olson has not decided yet.

We'll continue to work on a few others.......

Whip

I'm sure there's gonna be a few street bikes......KMG365 and Phillyflash are bringin street bikes. Mr Chris Olson has not decided yet.

We'll continue to work on a few others.......

Whip

I'm thinking I'll bring the 4wd Tacoma with the DR-Z in the back of it. Maybe I'll throw the RT in the back too... but I don't know how I'd get it down out of the truck or back in (at home I can use the HF motorcycle lift)... I'd like to have it as I may end up spending a couple of weeks down in AZ and environs. If anyone has any thoughts on solving that problem let me know.

In any event, there will be another 2 seater 4wd around if someone that comes in on a road bike wants to get dirty in it. If Torrey was any indication, we can always use another sag wagon!

Jan

Come one come all!!!!!!!!

Whip

Wouldn't you know it, I am supposed to ship my seat from my 690 off to Renazco on December 1st.

What type of dual sport riding is this going to be? Something a R1200GS Adventure could survive? Or are we talking miles of sand washes and whoops?

I know James.....he won't mind ya bein a couple days late.

Tell him the dude that sent him the "Fowl Weather Duck" for his mom says "Hi".

I think AZ is callin out the KATOOM!!!!!

Whip

Maybe I'll throw the RT in the back too... but I don't know how I'd get it down out of the truck or back in (at home I can use the HF motorcycle lift)... If anyone has any thoughts on solving that problem let me know.

Jan

In the spirit of "let's help out each other" already so kindly demonstrated by others in this thread, let me suggest few techniques that might work for you:

Method A:

- Undo all the straps, set the RT on its side stand there on the bed.

- Tie a long rope around the rear wheel of the RT and another end of the rope to a solid stationary object (think Whip's RV).

- Briskly accelerate away from the said stationary object... RT should get unloaded quite effortlessly.

Or, if sturdy rope is not available you can use Method B:

- Repeat step 1 as explained in Method A, then make sure the tailgate is down (this is not required in Method 1)

- Put the Yota on reverse and get it up to close to its maximum speed on reverse.

- Hit the brakes. Hard.

I was happy to help.

--

Mikko

Maybe I'll throw the RT in the back too... but I don't know how I'd get it down out of the truck or back in (at home I can use the HF motorcycle lift)... If anyone has any thoughts on solving that problem let me know.

Jan

In the spirit of "let's help out each other" already so kindly demonstrated by others in this thread, let me suggest few techniques that might work for you:

Method A:

- Undo all the straps, set the RT on its side stand there on the bed.

- Tie a long rope around the rear wheel of the RT and another end of the rope to a solid stationary object (think Whip's RV).

- Briskly accelerate away from the said stationary object... RT should get unloaded quite effortlessly.

Or, if sturdy rope is not available you can use Method B:

- Repeat step 1 as explained in Method A, then make sure the tailgate is down (this is not required in Method 1)

- Put the Yota on reverse and get it up to close to its maximum speed on reverse.

- Hit the brakes. Hard.

I was happy to help.

--

Mikko

I'm looking up my ebay password right now, BUD.

:grin::thumbsup:

Jan

I'll be bringing my only (street) bike and Maynard doesn't do dirt. I almost dropped him a few times trying to get about 200 yards through some soft stuff from one paved road to another last weekend scouting in Amargosa. :eek:

I've got to be back in PHX by Sunday morning 08:00 for a training so depending on how far away we are I may have to leave the lake Saturday night. :(

Wow--two trips in as many months?? Pinch me I'm dreaming! :)

I'll be bringing my only (street) bike and Maynard doesn't do dirt. I almost dropped him a few times trying to get about 200 yards through some soft stuff from one paved road to another last weekend scouting in Amargosa. :eek:

I've got to be back in PHX by Sunday morning 08:00 for a training so depending on how far away we are I may have to leave the lake Saturday night. :(

Wow--two trips in as many months?? Pinch me I'm dreaming! :)

Google says 2 hours

We rode across the Apache Trail on our RT's. It's dirt but mostly well behaved dirt. A fantastic ride, with an incredible twisty feast on pavement at the Phoenix end, but it would probably take you longer, and no way you'd be doing it in the dark for 8:00 am arrival. Yeah, I did drop my bike going that way, but it was my fault. So the google way above is probably what would work for you. I believe it's supposed to be pretty twisty that way too.

See ya,

Jan

Jamie,

The deer are afraid of ner..I mean they aren't an issue. :)

Seriously, there are some amazing streat roads in AZ to ride and if the weather holds the road to Young can be done easily on an RT (for sure the section south of Young). This road is semi paved most of the way and the rest of it is really just really hard pack with no sand though some gravel (Arizona is not Utah).

You can be back from the camp ground to Phoenix in about 2hours with either paved road being a lot of fun. Where are you training amigo?

Oh and where the heck is RoyDog? Glockster??? You weasels are not getting off the hook either!!

Jamie,

The deer are afraid of ner..I mean they aren't an issue. :)

Watch it there mister . . . I'll tell Mama Hoon! :grin:

Our training seminar is at the Sheraton Downtown and I've got a Pre-Conference session that goes from 08:00 to 17:00 on Sunday before the actual training starts on Monday.

I can come out a day early and get there Thursday if that works into your schedule at all. I've got a hotel room with a few other guys from my department for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. If I have to bail out early, maybe I can talk Liam and Jesus into letting me hang with them on Saturday night? :grin:

I hate the idea of having to leave the festivities at the lake early, but considering the route and limited daylight I probably shouldn't chance being late. Besides, it's better than not going at all and I at least get to see more of the folks who flaked out on the DVD Pre-Run! :/

We can get there a day early......

Will the campsite be available Thursday night? I could be there then. Or, I could stay with my mom in Surprise, about 3 hours out on the northwest corner of PHX, and come in around noon Friday.

Jan

I don't want to miss my place in line. They have a 3-4 month backlog these days!

As opposed to a fair weather duck?

It is definitely a place I would like to ride the 690. Not sure if I want to ride it to AZ though, in one day anyway. Pretty sure I don't want to drive my truck either though.

I know, quit whining and get my A$$ to AZ on my (Ugly)Orange bike!

I don't want to miss my place in line. They have a 3-4 month backlog these days!

As opposed to a fair weather duck?

It is definitely a place I would like to ride the 690. Not sure if I want to ride it to AZ though, in one day anyway. Pretty sure I don't want to drive my truck either though.

I know, quit whining and get my A$$ to AZ on my (Ugly)Orange bike!

First.......no way James isn't a month behind.....call him ....he'll be glad to wait a week on your seat.

Second.....Come to my house with the bike....we'll put it on my trailer and we can take turns drivin my 40 foot motorhome to AZ.

...I'm all about solutions :grin:

Third....Have fun!!!

BTW...My new truck is maroon. :thumbsup:

Gig em

Now you are talking! If you are serious, I just might have to take you up on this offer. When are you leaving?

I don't have a maroon truck, but my 1996 F250 crew cab is white with A&M plates. 240k miles and running strong. Hopefully it will last at least until my 15 year old daughter learns to drive...

Archived