IGNORED

Steering lock turns on taillight (1997 R 1100 RT)

BlueTools

Anyone experienced this? I cycled through the key positions and turned the forks back and forth to try and clear the problem but the gremlin won't go away.

Joe Frickin' Friday

From the "steering unlocked and engine off" key position, when turning the key counterclockwise there are two more positions at which the key can be removed. The first position is "steering locked but parking lights off;" the second position - maximum counterclockwise turn of the key - is the "steering locked and parking lights ON" position. This will turn on the tail light and a small bulb at the bottom of the headlight. I suspect you are turning the key to the second position described.

OTOH, if you are only turning the key to the first position described above, and the taillight is coming on, then yes, there would appear to be a problem in the ignition/keyswitch area...

Sounds like it's being turned counter clockwise too far to the "P". When I do that my tail light stays lit as well as the tiny marker blub in the headlight.

Sounds like it's being turned counter clockwise too far to the "P". When I do that my tail light stays lit as well as the tiny marker blub in the headlight.

That is the 'park' position, required in some European countries if you park on a main road.

Andy

Archived