IGNORED

R1200RT Tire Replacement: Opinions wanted!

codinn

3500 miles and I am getting down to the wear indicators on the rear of the original equipment Dunlop Sportmax D220 ST P on the rear. The front is a bit scalloped but should last a few more thousand. Now, I'm not complaining, but this seems to be going a bit quickly! I'll take the blame for that: it has been fun getting to this point!

I would like to hear your preferences and experiences on the tires available today for this category. It has been a while since I have bought moto tires and things have changed since then (15 yrs!)

My riding consists of a 40 mile round trip commute weekdays on the interstate (yawn) and weekend and vacation jaunts into the twisties around the Pacific Northwest. Since I live on the east side of the mountains (desert) 99% of my riding is in dry weather.

My moto must think I am schizo since half the time it is putt-putting to work and half the time it is being asked to haul a**. I briefly thought about getting an extra wheel for the rear and putting a longer wearing tread back there for weekdays but that is unrealistic.

Sooo: What are your thoughts on a reasonably good handling, reasonably good wearing tire set for dry weather? I have enjoyed the Dunlops as they stick very well and are confidence inspiring. I'd also rather wear out a rear every 4000 miles and feel safe than get 10,000 but lose too much grip.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Co

Look into Pilot Roads. Or, if they are available for your bike, I'd jump first to the Avon Avaro ST 45/46 series.

That's interesting; my '05 RT came with Pilot Roads, so I presumed that they all did.

BMW traditionally uses 3 or even 4 different tires on new bikes, and randomly at that.

Ditto on the Pilot Roads.

I used them on my RT when Metzler stopped producing the Z5s and they were great tires. I usually got around 8K to 9K out of the rear Pilot.

I'm not thrilled with the pilot roads on my 12ST. They had great grip for nearly 2k miles, but started quickly falling off after that. Like pilot sports I've had in the past they just don't warm up enough after the first 2k miles. They are probably fine for people that don't mind a little slipping around, but I like firmly planted tires. I'm not all that fast a rider, probably middle of the pack, so there is no excuse for the tires slipping through turns.

They also suck at poor road surfaces. Very sensitive to tar snakes and even a little gravel. More so than other tires I've used.

I'm looking for replacements. Pilot Powers sound great, but my experience with Pilots has me looking elsewhere. I’ve had great luck with M1’s, BT012’s, and Diablo’s. I rarely get more than 3-4k miles out of them, but the grip was great through the entire tire life. I’d like to get more miles for my ST, and want the grip. Not sure what I’ll try. Thanks for starting the thread.

3500 miles and I am getting down to the wear indicators on the rear of the original equipment Dunlop Sportmax D220 ST P
Wow, is that tire real sticky or are you having a little too much fun with the extra power? I'm running Bridgestone BT020s on mine and I like them a lot. I had to change the rear at 5k because of a bad puncture but it looked like the BT020 which came with the bike would have lasted to 6 to 6.5k. Traction is no problem as I was dragging the pegs in the Ozarks a month ago with no sliding. If you push the BT020s real hard they will eventually go away a bit. Overall I think they're a pretty good compromise between mileage and grip.

They are probably fine for people that don't mind a little slipping around, but I like firmly planted tires. I'm not all that fast a rider, probably middle of the pack, so there is no excuse for the tires slipping through turns.

I'm not the fastest rider, but I'm not bringing up the rear, either. I've never had the issues you raise with the Pilot Roads. They were always nicely "planted", especially considering the weight of the "pig" RT, my luggage and my fat arse! grin.gif If I still rode an RT, I'd still have Pilot Roads.

3500 miles and I am getting down to the wear indicators on the rear of the original equipment Dunlop Sportmax D220 ST P
Wow, is that tire real sticky or are you having a little too much fun with the extra power? I'm running Bridgestone BT020s on mine and I like them a lot. I had to change the rear at 5k because of a bad puncture but it looked like the BT020 which came with the bike would have lasted to 6 to 6.5k. Traction is no problem as I was dragging the pegs in the Ozarks a month ago with no sliding. If you push the BT020s real hard they will eventually go away a bit. Overall I think they're a pretty good compromise between mileage and grip.

Scott,

I think it is a combination of all of the above, plus I think I am relying on downshifting a bit to much to scrub off speed coming into corners, which may be wearing the center of the tread prematurely.

That said, a good chunk of my riding mileage wise is to and from work as well as to and from the twisties. My chicken stripes are about 1/4 inch wide so I rarely get all the way keeled over (yet) and have yet to scrape the peg feelers (boots yes!).

I am not sure I want to be biting my mirror AND scraping my peg feelers, on the road anyway!

That said, the middle of the tire is worn and the edges are still fine. What with the dry weather and the amount of straightline riding I do, as well as the fact that I'm not pushing the envelope on traction, I believe I don't need that sticky of a tire. However, I don't want to go too far in the other direction.

My desire is to a)use the brake more to scrub speed coming into corners and develop a better feel for matching gear and rpms to speed and b)find a tire that is sticky enough to inspire confidence but durable enough to go at 7-8000 miles with care. Now, if I can just stop bouncing off the rev limiter...

Co

Your experience with Pilots is like most I've heard. Don't know what I do that makes them slip, but they just don't work for me. It is surface dependant, but I can go over the same roads with other tires and not slip or loose confidence like I do with pilots. I love what I read about the Powers, but my experience won't let me waste my time or money.

Had the same issue with my NSX. I was wearing out stock Yokahama's ever 5k miles, so I thought I'd give Pilot Sports a try. They are rated highly by many and sure weren't cheap. I Hated them. I lost a ton of road feel and they broke free much easier. I guess Mich. just doesn't build tires I like smile.gif

Dave Grinsel

This post was timely as my new ST has the Dunlop 220's. I have 1800 miles and when I leave on a 3500 mile trip in late August I will probably have 3000 - 3500 miles. It sounds like I ought to install new tires before I leave. On my R1100S, I found the Avon ST45/ST46 combo lasted the longest - about 9,000 to 10,000 miles. As anyone tried the new Conti Road Attacks?

Philo Vance

Check out this link:

BMW R1200RT Info and Accessories

My BT020 was showing wearbars on the rear at 4800 miles and I was preparing to leave on a 2K trip. I slapped a Metzeler ME-880 on the rear and am happy so far. I don't scrape pegs, never did, but don't feel insecure either. I can't say it has cramped my style.

The size that fits the R1200RT rear is VR rated and a steel belted radial. The site doesn't recommend the ME-880 front as it's not a radial.

Hi Co:

I got 7,500 on the first set of Metzeler Z6's on my R1100S. It looks like I'll get at least that much on the second set. They are very sticky, too. I look at that quality like an insurance policy for cornering and braking. I do spend as much time on the sides as the center.

I replaced he Dunlops with Avon ST45\46.. The first rear went 7000 miles of heavily loaded 2 up riding before I replaced it. the front is still going strong.. Tires work well wet or dry, with no bad habits to report.

Craig

The site doesn't recommend the ME-880 front as it's not a radial.

I had used an ME 880 front radial on my R1150RS, in 120\70\17.. did they discontinue it?

Hey Philo. You mentioned you put a Metzler ME 880 on the rear of your R1200RT. I was told the 880 wasn't available for the R1200RT. I love those tires & would gladly put them on my new RT when the time comes. Can you tell me where you got them?

I replaced my Dunlop rear at 6K. I also put the Metz ME 880 on. I now have 2K on it and don't see any wear. I feel very secure with it in the curves. I got 12K from the Metz on my LT, so I feel I can do better on the RT. Good luck with your choice, and I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I do.

Do any of you have the Continental ContiRoad Attack tires on your new RT? I was looking at tires for my old R1100RT and the Continetal web site says the Road Attack tires are OEM tires for the new RT. My new RT has the D220 tire so I am already looking at what to replace them with. I think I will go with the Dunlop D205 on my old RT but was thinking maybe the Conti on the new RT if anyone likes them.

I was considering the Conti Roadatacks too. They read nice. But so do the Pirelli Diablo Strada's, and Metzler Z6 (probably the same tire as the strada). I may just stick with something I know and trust, but sacrifice mileage.

One I’m considering is the Pirelli Synco’s. They were great on my Multistrada, which is similar weight to the 12ST. I got 4.5k on the rear before a 3” screw went right through it, out the side, and through the rim frown.gif I’m guessing it had another 2k miles left, which is great considering how well it gripped. Just don’t know if the tread pattern would look right on the ST.

Just don’t know if the tread pattern would look right on the ST.

confused.gifconfused.gif

Yes I know, a minor concern. They have an aggressive patern. The look was designed for the Multistrada to give it that I'm-off-road-ready look. I think they would stand out on the 12ST, but again, I probably shouldn't care.

They did work very well on the MTS. Dry grip was somewhere between Diablo's and Pilot Roads, as was the wear. And, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have that agressive tread on gravel roads. Maybe these are the tires I want.

Archived