IGNORED

Paul: when G650gs?

SANTA

Also, do you have any clue what prices we can expect to see on them when they get here? I'm curious to see if there will be any changes to them, or if they will be the same as they were. Will they still offer something along the lines of the Dakar model?

I would imagine that if/when they do show up......they won't be back for the following year. Unless the price is insanely low, I can't imagine they will sell very many considering the new F650 twin is at a pretty good price point. Unless BMW makes a bunch of changes to it and offers something different than what was available before.

They are having this same discussion over on the "Chaingang" site. Looks like it is coming soon if you listen to 1/2 the dealers and not coming at all from the other half. Consensus overall is that it is coming soon and will be made up of lots of Chinese and other asian parts and still sell for a pretty penny.

So if the quality is like the pep boys chinese bikes, we lose, and if it is like the Triumph bikes now made thereabouts, it will be ok. I tend to think that BMW will try and keep the quality way up there. (that's what I hope's anyway). Time will tell.

i'm still waiting, have you heard anything when bmw will release the info on the "New" "Old" G650gs single cyl ?
No precise information, just general talk from BMW. I would guess to have them end of Dec., or January. I expect a price point of about $8.000 with ABS.

Thanks Paul.

Hopefully, if nothing else.......the new G650GS hitting the showrooms will bring the prices for the old F650GS back down to earth. Every decent used one I've seen at the dealerships recently have been way over priced (especially the Dakars). I'm not willing to pay new MSRP for a 2 year old bike with 15k miles on it.

why would they rerelease the single cylinder 650? What are the advantages? I think the new twin beats the old single hands down in every category, having owned both. dont they have the single cross country etc line as well?

would the price be that significantly different than the 650 twin? I understand price being an issue in the LT vs RT vs GS range, but would it make enough difference in this price range? I had a single 650, loved the bike, just think the new twins are much better, esp for new riders.

Sure it would make a difference......if what Paul says is accurate, look at the difference

G650GS Single w/ABS = ~$8000

F650GS Twin MSRP = $8255

+ Low Suspension $175

+ Heated Hand Grips $250

+ ABS $900

+ Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) $250

+ On Board Computer $295

+ White Turn Indicator $60

+ Anti Theft Alarm $395

+ Center Stand $150

I figure a run of the mill bike order would include lets say.....Center stand, Computer, ABS, Low Suspension, and Heated Grips. That gets your MSRP up over $10000. Fully loaded is almost $11000.

I'd say a $2-3000 price difference is pretty significant.........especially when you are down around that sub $10k range.

Some more news......lifted directly off of Bob's Website.

BMW Motorrad USA is pleased to announce the introduction of the G 650 GS. This bike is the reintroduction of the discontinued F 650 GS (Model Year 2007), due to popular demand. The naming convention was changed to maintain consistency between engine families. Since this bike is a single cylinder it now belongs to the G series.

Even though the previous model was wildly popular, several updates were still implemented. The new G 650 GS has been fitted with the updated ABS system found on the rest of the G series and is fully disengageable. The engine has also been updated. It now shares the same engine as found in the 2009 G 650 Xcountry. As a result the engine color is now black instead of silver.

The G 650 GS represents the most affordable way to join the GS family. To make this bike more appealing to entry level riders the base MSRP will be $7,670 (excluding freight) and only 2 options and 2 colors will be available: Deep Black and Red.

To add to the tremendous value of the G 650 GS, ABS, Heated Grips, and Hazard Flashers are standard!

To appeal to a wide variety of riders such as beginners, women, etc., the G 650 GS is available with Low Suspension. The seat heights are as follows: Standard -30.7"; Low Susp.- 29.5"

For that price.......I think I just found my new commuter bike. I just hope the old tall Dakar seat will still fit. I don't need no stinkin 30.7" seat height

The spec sheet still isn't correct, but the BMW website is now showing the G650GS under the Enduro Bikes

\

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=2009g650gs&bikeSection=enduro

I guess not:

Weight - Dry 387 lbs. excluding options & accessories

Max permissible weight 423 lbs. excluding options & accessories

Not too many 36 pounders gonna be big enough to ride it! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I just rode a 2009 G650GS today. I can't compare it to the "old" 650G's but I can say I was very impressed with it. I am in the market for a KLR-type dirt/street bike and decided to try this one out. It rides like a very composed KLR with none of the squishy-shocks cadillac-ing, and seems to have more punch than the KLR. It was also easy to flat-foot it (31" inseam). It was very fun in the twisties, but I didn't have a chance to get on the dirt. On the slab, cruising at 70mph, the engine was not straining at all and when I nailed the throttle and it accelerated nicely, I was surprised at the punch it still had at 70. I am now considering spending the extra $$ to get one, as opposed to the Japanese offerings. $8800 out-the-door. (A larger windshield would be a must-have)

FYI, the one I rode looked exactly like the black one in the post above.

I have the 2007 one and I am very pleased with it. Cannot compare to the KLR as they never let me test ride it and I never thought of leaving them $$ and get something I had no idea of what it was.

The difference btw this and the 1200RT is though so huge that it always amazes me when switching between them.

A fun and peppy bike and good to go off the tartop with.

good luck and enjoy the ones you get.

Bimmers, what kind of tires do you find to work best for both street and dirt? What type of dirt riding do you feel its capable of?

My other concern was the shorter shock travel as compared with the KLR.

Saw one today at TouringSport BMW... Red one. Did a double take as I had no clue that they were bringing this back... sat on it and was impressed. Love this bike... it would be my second bike if funds were freed up for it. Sales guy said that the bike is EXACTLY like the old one in every detail except the motor.

Chris

i past our dealer yesterday, and got the bad news, bmw canada has decided not to bring them in. so if i want a single f650 i need to find a used one, but i finally got to see the hp2sport it is beautiful, sadly as noted by some of the guys over on the pelican site there are no hardpoints to mount luggage, ( yeah sour grapes i know)

MY R1100S is still just great,

I really have no extrem tires just the stock it came with and will check the type tomorrow for you.

I figured I am at least 70% on paved roads and never on tough offroad (yet anyway) but more on fire access roads and alikes.

I still dream of real adventure riding one day, but it has to wait.

my 1998 funduro is great, and the only reason for looking at a newer one is to get the foulinjection (fool injection) and subsequent longer range on a tank.

when i loaded it to do the dempster run i ran onto the reserve at 280kms, and even with a 5 litre backup is was nip an tuck through the tombstone mountains ...

We have a new G650GS on the floor at Shreveport motor sports. It is red. Probably will not be there long tho, several people looking at it (KLR owners).

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a new G650GS single, a new F650GS twin, and a used F650GS single, all three models parked side-by-side in the Ft Meyers FL dealership.

By the way, the new G650GS was indistinguishable from the used F650GS parked next to it, at least to my eye , although the salesman said that the single-cylinder engine now has a couple more horsepower.

It's a very confusing model numbering system by BMW. :dopeslap:

"It's a very confusing model numbering system by BMW. :dopeslap: "

Tell me about it. Calling the simpler version of the F800GS a F650GS is IMHO the dumbest thing BMW Corp. did in a long time. My job is selling BMW bikes. I have a hard time trying to explain the mess every time to prospective customers.

The new single cylinder G650GS has the same motor as the other G series bikes. It is a upgraded single, of apparent very high quality, AFAIK manufactured by Kymco in Taiwan instead of Rotax in Austria.

Paul;

Who are you selling the F650 GS twin to?

Ladies?

New riders?

Experienced riders who want a 2nd/lighter bike?

Percentages?

Thanks!

Paul;

Who are you selling the F650 GS twin to?

Ladies?

New riders?

Experienced riders who want a 2nd/lighter bike?

Percentages?

Thanks!

All of the above. Volume is too small to make any percentage call.

• 2 weeks later...
Tell me about it. Calling the simpler version of the F800GS a F650GS is IMHO the dumbest thing BMW Corp. did in a long time. My job is selling BMW bikes. I have a hard time trying to explain the mess every time to prospective customers.

The new single cylinder G650GS has the same motor as the other G series bikes. It is a upgraded single, of apparent very high quality, AFAIK manufactured by Kymco in Taiwan instead of Rotax in Austria.

This is why I have always thought they could have kept it simple this way:

F650GS (the old thumper they're calling a G650GS now)

F800GS (the new F650GS)

F800GS Adventure (the F800GS)

This would have kept the 650 as a legacy bike and the new 800s would have a naming convention matching the 12GS series.

But instead it's a clustercluck. cool%20chicken%20dance.gif

• 1 year later...

lets update this thread....

two weeks ago a 2006 f605gspd landed on my driveway, has just under 1800 kms on it and its so unused there's no dirt; planning to change that,

man that seat is high

Archived