IGNORED

How Long Did Your Lights Last

Semper_Fi

Bulb Replacement  

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You didn't start early enough for me.

First one went at 7k, second at 9.5k.

I usually only change the popped bulb.

John/Danny - sorry about the boundry conditions!! :dopeslap:

No clue. I carry a couple of spares, but my '05 ST with 24k miles refuses to kill the stock bulbs. The motolights haven't died yet either.

(I've knocked on wood so many times for this topic that it's not even funny.)

St's are so ugly......

They don't dare burn out a headlight bulb for fear of looking better. Oscar.gif

At least I don't have to hide my bike under several layers of powder coating. :)

one bulb on each of our RT's blew at about 20K . . .

we went ahead and replaced both bulbs and kept the good used one as a spare . . .

the aftermarket bulbs were slightly brighter than the OEM and made the bikes look off balance. :grin:

Left bulb died about 20K km's (about 13k miles), replaced just that one but have 2 new spares on hand. Definitely the new one is brighter than the remaining original, and I'm OK with that. I'm too curious about how long the right will last, to replace it before it dies.

I think part of the reason for the lack of longevity (compared to some folks' experience) is that much my riding takes me over a lot of city road roughness so there's a lot of vibration beating up those bulbs, more so than would be on more open highway driving.

I try to replace twin bulbs in pairs when one burns out - the good one goes into the tank bag as a spare. Also, it seems the light output decreases with use, which may contribute to the asymetry others mention (if you replace singles).

Frank:

I would like to believe that it's rough roads that are reponsible for the early demise of our headlights... however, a fellow FJR rider with twin headlights has over 45K kilometres (more than 27K miles) with no burnouts... similar road experience... may it's the sympathetic vibes??

Marc

one bulb on each of our RT's blew at about 20K . . .

we went ahead and replaced both bulbs and kept the good used one as a spare . . .

the aftermarket bulbs were slightly brighter than the OEM and made the bikes look off balance. :grin:

I lost the left side bulb at 17k.

I've had to change heads and dips under 5,000 miles on my 05RT. I've replaced all with H.I.D.'s from efxmotorsports.com and have much brighter lights and no burn out problem.

Frank:

I would like to believe that it's rough roads that are reponsible for the early demise of our headlights... however, a fellow FJR rider with twin headlights has over 45K kilometres (more than 27K miles) with no burnouts... similar road experience... may it's the sympathetic vibes??

Marc

...welll...there is something I've been wondering about...the mechanism on the RT that allows the adjustment of the headlight aim for 1up vs. 2up, with the magic lever - that seems like a point which would make the headlight assembly less "rigid", and more prone to vibration.....does the FJR have something like that or is the headlight assembly pretty solidly attached? And maybe it is not all the RT's out there that have loose(ish) assemblies, but it sure does introduce a potential point where looseness could develop.....

Left side blew after 18k miles. I replaced both at that time with Sylvania Osram Ultra which lasted approximately 2,000 miles each!! Out of necessity (on the road) I replaced again with cheap parts store bulbs which are still both working after 5 or 6k miles.

I really feel like there's a problem with the 1200GS. My friend bought one of the early ones...'04? and it ate low beam bulbs like candy. Very inconvenient. Both original headlight bulbs work fine on my RT at 52K as does the high beam, but the two little parking bulbs on the perimiter of my headlight unit are both blown. I'm leaving them until something serious goes out.

-TB

'05 R1200RT with 83K.. Low Beam bulbs go between 10-15K before they fail, usually first the left then the right. It's been consistent for the last 83K..

Connectors to the bulbs have both disinagrated, looks like it's due to excess heat. Same problem of extra heat seems to cause the city light bulbs to fail as well, and the connectors on these are brittle and coming apart.

Ride Safe

TinMan.

Archived