IGNORED

Valeo..Vaaallleeeeoooo!

philbytx

Well, out for a ride with the "Lost Boys" yesterday and the starter siezed up on me :cry:. Removed it, grounded it and fired it up without the load on it, put it back in and with a strain and a groan, got it started. I had the dreaded 'detached magnet' issue in the back of my mind when I thought I had fixed it the last time but....!

So, I removed the starter, dismantled it and discovered the problem(s). It was exactly the Valeo starter problem I had read about and had thought it was happening to mine. Remember, this was after I bought a new battery a couple of months back (before finding out about the starter issue), thinking it was the battery that was shot!!

Well, it was not just ONE magnet but 3 out of 4 of the damn things that had unglued themselves from the starter casing. With the amount of crap and broken magnets in the casing, it was a bloody miracle that it worked at all!

I searched about and found a new one on Ebay (the latest model!) for $189.50 plus shipping and it comes with some freebies : 4 new Bosch spark plugs plus a filter for Oilheads!

Should have it next week....so, if any of you have starting issues and think it is your battery. Just turn on your headlights and if they are bright and your voltage checks out but your starter occasionally goes "clik" or "thunk" or sounds like it is straining or dragging....dollars to donuts that it's the magnet issue!

I've decided if / when this happens to me, I'm going to get one of those Toyota type automotive starters that are sold for BMW applications. A little more expensive but the peace of mind is priceless.

-MKL

I've decided if / when this happens to me, I'm going to get one of those Toyota type automotive starters that are sold for BMW applications. A little more expensive but the peace of mind is priceless.

-MKL

If only we could get a Toyota engine and tranny for our bikes, then we wouldn't need this forum. :D

Moshe, you can buy the "can" only if you repair your unit, for $45. Haven't heard about the Toyota unit. Be aware that you have to have the right "hand" starter unit for the BMW. I understand that Saturn uses the same "can" on their starters, it just happens to gear the wrong way.

Here's the update :

The Valeo D6RA series permanent magnet design starter has been known to be fragile to shock and vibration, as well as moisture (water ingress). These elements can cause the magnets to loose adhesion to the field can. Valeo addressed this issue in late 2002 with improved adhesive and thru modification of the magnet contour to allow more adhesive to be in between the magnet and the field housing.

unquote

My R is a 2000 :(

Yeah, $350 - nobody said they were cheap! My Valeo still looks OK. I just cleaned it out again, for the second time in 60,000 miles. Every 30k it develops a squeal after letting go of the starter button, due to corrosion buildup.

Before

valeobefore.jpg

After

valeoafter.jpg

The shaft assembly and plunger mechanism get absolutely caked with thick black crud, so I clean everything up and re-lubricate. I've never actually disassembled the whole starter yet though. Seems like a fairly robust unit so far.

-MKL

Why do our starters sound like a garbage disposal? Most other bikes I hear starting including H-D's sound like they are cranking much faster and "easier".

Valeo was a fairly large customer of ours back in my working days in the semiconductor biz. (We sold them the trio rectifiers.) I spent many days visiting their facilities in Europe. Now that I'm no longer affiliated, I can say that I have never dealt with any customer anywhere that was more focused on costs over quality. Incredible stuff. We had products much better suited (well documented) for their applications, but cost 6 CENTS more for the entire trio, and just no way would they go for the upgrade. Sure enough, many months later after huge quality issues, we get called back in and they spend the 6 cents to upgrade to the better product and the problem simply goes away.

This hits home, because I recently had to replace my Valeo starter, after stripping the tupperware roadside to find that the battery was OK (argggh).

Well, got a new Valeo starter (now Made in Poland!) from Euro Motoelectrics. John Rayski, who owns the biz, had a special on Ebay with a new Valeo starter (mfr date 6/2008) plus 4 FR6DC plugs and a Bosch oil filter for $198.95 all in and priority shipped.

Can only speak as I find and his service was great! Arrived in 2 days.... :thumbsup:

Archived