What's Up With My Zumo

Koop

I ran several errands today on my R1200RT. After the first stop - about 20 minutes off the bike, when I got back on I noticed my Zumo was on. It was showing the screen that has 2 icons - "where to" and "map". I thought maybe I must have done something with the key or activated it somehow, I always turn off the Zumo when I get off the bike.

Next stop, a little over thirty minutes off the bike. I come out and sure enough, it's on and showing the same screen again.

Next stop, five minutes. I turned off the Zumo, made sure the screen was black. Come out to the bike, it's on again.

Came home, turned off the Zumo. Went to the garage and looked ten minutes later, it's on. I turned it off and it stayed off now.

I never noticed this before, the Zumo only turned itself on when I switched the key on. Any idea what's up?

If the Zumo is direct wired to the battery it MAY do this as you start the bike. If you have it to an outlet it will do this as well. Where do you have the power coming from?

Nice n Easy Rider
I ran several errands today on my R1200RT. After the first stop - about 20 minutes off the bike, when I got back on I noticed my Zumo was on. It was showing the screen that has 2 icons - "where to" and "map". I thought maybe I must have done something with the key or activated it somehow, I always turn off the Zumo when I get off the bike.

Next stop, a little over thirty minutes off the bike. I come out and sure enough, it's on and showing the same screen again.

Next stop, five minutes. I turned off the Zumo, made sure the screen was black. Come out to the bike, it's on again.

Came home, turned off the Zumo. Went to the garage and looked ten minutes later, it's on. I turned it off and it stayed off now.

I never noticed this before, the Zumo only turned itself on when I switched the key on. Any idea what's up?

I've had exactly the same experiences with my Zumo. What I've found is that if I wait for about 30 seconds after I turn off the bike with the key, a message will appear on the Zumo screen asking whether you want to continue on battery power. It has a no/yes touch screen. I touch no, it shuts down, and that takes care of it.

When I don't follow this routine of "telling" it not to run on battery power it seems to automatically come back on after a short period of time. I have no explanation for this but perhaps it defaults to its battery power to keep the bluetooth connections alive, etc.

I have had this sort of thing happen on occasion. I have mine hooked to the GPS power connector on the front of the bike (the one the BMW version GPS plugs into). I think what is happening is that for some reason it fools the bike's computer into thinking that something is still attached and it keeps the circuit open. This is the same thing as the BMW battery charger does. So long as the bike is supplying power to the GPS it won't shut off and you won't get the "power lost do you want to operate on battery" message.

The turning back on thing hasn't happened to me very much. Mostly mine just won't turn off. Usually if it happens if I power off with the button it will stay off. If it happens while I am putting gas in the bike I often just leave it and it seems to "reset" such that next time I turn off the bike it acts normally.

Nice n Easy Rider

I've had exactly the same experiences with my Zumo. What I've found is that if I wait for about 30 seconds after I turn off the bike with the key, a message will appear on the Zumo screen asking whether you want to continue on battery power. It has a no/yes touch screen. I touch no, it shuts down, and that takes care of it.

When I don't follow this routine of "telling" it not to run on battery power it seems to automatically come back on after a short period of time. I have no explanation for this but perhaps it defaults to its battery power to keep the bluetooth connections alive, etc.

One more thing. If I don't want to wait the 30 sec or so for the "do you want to continue on battery power" message to come on I just pop the Zumo out of its cradle, the message comes on immediately, I say no to the battery power, the Zumo shuts off immediately, and I put it back in the cradle.

I have mine connected to a powered switch on the dashboard. I typically turn the bike off and then the switch. The Yes/No screen comes up right away and the 30 second count down starts. If I don't do anything, it will power off on its own, or, I can tap on NO which will shut it off right away.

There is much chat about this over at http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

It is highly likely that there is nothing at fault here. It is a combination how the Zumo is wired for power and if you turned on the Zumo before or after engine start up, and what, if anything, you did at engine shut down.

As simple as I can make it... wire your zumo so that it has switched power. Do not use the Zumo power button to turn it on before a ride, just start the bike it will power up automatically. When you stop the bike do not turn off the Zumo... it will remain on under the CAN system for about 30 seconds then ask you if you want to continue on battery or not... do nothing. It will shut down by itself.

+1 on what hopz zaid.

When on the bike don't use the Zumo on/off button, just let the switched power source take care of it all for you.

--

Mikko

+1 on what hopz zaid.

When on the bike don't use the Zumo on/off button, just let the switched power source take care of it all for you.

--

Mikko

+2 works every time - I have my Zumo connected to a Switched Centech Fuse Panel

What I've found is that if I wait for about 30 seconds after I turn off the bike with the key, a message will appear on the Zumo screen asking whether you want to continue on battery power. It has a no/yes touch screen. I touch no, it shuts down, and that takes care of it.

+1 Talked to Garmin tech support and they said just let it turn off itself or follow the wait 30 seconds and push no routine.

When you shut off the bike, the cradle is powered for 30 seconds.

If you manually shut down the Zumo, it stays off until you either turn it on or you interrupt and restore the power.

My guess is that the ZFE is momentarily polling the line after shutting down and tricks the Zumo into powering up. If power is cut early into the power up sequence,the Zumo assumes you manually started it and just runs on the battery.

Although not the original poster I just want to clear up my ealier post to this thread. When my Zumo does not power down it is not running on the internal battery. It is running off the bike's battery and the circuit is staying open just like it does when you use a bmw battery charger. I know this because the Zumo is conncected to an XM satellite receiver. The satellite receiver will not work off the internal battery. It only works when connected to an external power source. I have listened to it for over 10 minutes with the bike off and the key in the off position. Somehow the Zumo is keeping the circuit open. This happens only rarely but it does happen. Normally I get a message within less than a minute that external power is lost and do I want to continue on battery. So just to be clear in some odd circumstances the zumo will keep the circuit open somehow. Its rare but it does happen, at least to me.

Archived