IGNORED

R1200RT Indicator light on... but nothing matches it in the owner's manual

Joe_Rocket

Hi Gang,

I have a interesting problem on my new 05 R1200RT. I have an indicator light on my lower instrument that comes on that looks like this:

<| ! |>

(A left pointing triangle followed by an ! followed by a right triangle)

I suspect that this indicates a bad turn signal bulb... but in my owner's manual, a bad turn signal bulb is a picture of a bulb with turn signal triangles next to it.

So...

I suspect my owner's manual is outdated... on to the problem.

The indicator light above came on today after a 100 mile ride. I checked my turn signals and in fact, EVERY light... they are all working.

When I checked the turn signals, as soon as I hit the left turn signal, the light went out. If I drive a ways... the warning light will come back on. If I turn on the turn signal, it will go back off SOMETIMES... but not always. The turn signals ALWAYS work, whether the indicator light is on or off.

I suspect an intermittent bulb (loose or bad/going bad). But before I start taking things apart... any suggestions?

Is this something that would be covered under warranty? The bike only has a little over 600 miles on it.

Joe

I am speaking from memory and may be misstaken, but the only time I have seen the ! mark appear on my screen is when the oil level has dipped to anywhere below the half way point in the sightglass. It goes away as soon as oil is added above the mid-line. This occurs regardless of whether the bike computer (BC) is toggled to oil level or not. Hope that helps.

Yep it's the oil level warning lamp. Totally useless on mine as it comes on and goes off whenever it feels like it regardless of the oil level.

Yes indeed... that is the warning. How counter-intuitive is that symbol for low oil... smile.gif

I checked the oil level and it is right at the half way mark, which I thought was the nominal level.

I'll add some oil this morning. I hope the other warning symbols are a bit more descriptive than this one <grin>

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help.

Joe

You mean this (see attachment)?

Agreed. My "<!>" indicator came on when my oil level reached the the halfway point in my sight glass. As soon as I added a couple of ounces, the indicator disappeared. From now on, I will only depend upon my sight glass to tell me when to add oil.

The interesting thing is... there is a two page section on warning lights and their meaning... but that symbol isn't contained on those two pages. You have to go to a completely different section (which I clearly did not) to find the oil level warning indicator. You'd think that they would put ALL warning symbols in the same table for easy reference.

I'll put it on the center stand and add a few ounces this morning to top it back off.

I'm a bit puzzled why, in the first 550 miles or so the oil level never dropped to less than half, but after my 600 mile service, the oil level dropped to half in a little over 100 miles. Perhaps the dealer didn't fill the crankcase as full after the 600 mile service as the factory does.

Again... thanks for the answers everyone.

Joe

John Bentall

I found exactly the same concerning the oil consumption. The oil is changed from thin break-in oil to simple mineral oil. Consumption returned to "normal" after about 1200 miles.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help.

You're welcome Joe. When I first saw this symbol come up on my bike I too had no clue as to what it was. The fact that it appeared erratically made it more of a mystery until I found it in the manual.

Archived