IGNORED

Canbus issue?

Bradl K

Need Advice; 2007 RT: Canbus:?

I have to scan a RF card to gain access to my workplace. Well, I killed the bike theother day while doing so. The bike restarted without complaint, however, the LIGHTS did not come on!

I went through the parking lot (with no lights) and safely parked,luckly.

My question is this, if you accidently kill the bike, does the Canbus kill EVERYTHING untill it 'senses' all is well?

The thought of accidentally kiling the bike with no lights in the dark is scary!

Brad

First of all welcome - tremendous information here.

I can't see how your re-scanned card killed the bike...

The CANBUS is the connection system to the bikes various computers. Basically the wiring harness in a simple way. The fault conditions are determined by the computer(s).

Being as you have an 07 you should be under warranty, i would take directly to your dealer if you are still driving without lights.

If I have this correct, you stalled the bike, then just re-thumbed the starter, and had no head lights.

But once you cycled the key off then back on, everything was normal.

Correct?

In that scenario, the lights will not come back on. The ZFE module needs to see a key cycle to reinitialize.

Yes, That is what happened. To be clear, I don't think the RF card had a thing to do with it. That was just the act that made me kill it. I just don't like the thought of killing it a a light at night and then having no lights when it restarts.

BTW, It has been operating fine ever since.

Some times I think that microsoft wrote the canbus software, Last summer I turned on the cruise and my windscreen motor stopped working next time I start the bike all is normal and nothing odd since.

I think power spikes or some other interference may cause occasional program errors that disable some function next boot up problems gone.

I'll put one more thing to watch for. The computer system probably is subject to voltage fluctuations. I had an intermittant head light fault for about 3 months on my ST before my battery went bad. So I'd recommend checking your battery condition if intermittant Canbus problems are a problem.

So you guys are telling me that when you stall you bike the headlight goes out? And when you restart it stays out???

Well my RT must be the odd one out! If I stall the bike the headlight stays on! After all it does have a battery. When I use the starter again it goes out briefly while turning over but always comes back on!

I have since converted to HID lights powered off the stock light wiring and it still works the same way.

So you guys are telling me that when you stall you bike the headlight goes out? And when you restart it stays out???

Well my RT must be the odd one out! If I stall the bike the headlight stays on! After all it does have a battery. When I use the starter again it goes out briefly while turning over but always comes back on!

I have since converted to HID lights powered off the stock light wiring and it still works the same way.

My 05 ST is the same. if I kill the engine with the E stop on the RH bar the lights will stay on. BTW I also have converted to HIDs on this bike but it was the same before I converted.

Sorry for a slight hijack to the OP, but this is almost related to the same topic so here goes.

I've lately noticed my bike doesn't start with sidestand up, clutch pulled in, bike in first gear. It doesn't kill it, but in that "configuration" it won't engage the starter motor.

I'm not sure but I think it used to start that way. Or maybe it was a different bike I'm thinking...

Are the hexheads supposed to start, in 1st, sidestand up, clutch in?

--

Mikko

Sorry for a slight hijack to the OP, but this is almost related to the same topic so here goes.

I've lately noticed my bike doesn't start with sidestand up, clutch pulled in, bike in first gear. It doesn't kill it, but in that "configuration" it won't engage the starter motor.

I'm not sure but I think it used to start that way. Or maybe it was a different bike I'm thinking...

--

Mikko

My '06 RT will start and run unless the side stand is down and the bike is in gear, regardless of clutch disengagement.

Lowering the side stand with the bike in gear, will kill the engine.

Hmmm..... mine does the same, with side stand down + in gear it dies. I often use the side stand as "kill switch" coming to a stop. So my side stand switch is fine.

But sounds like the "no-start with clutch in + in gear" is not normal. I wonder if the clutch switch is defective?

--

Mikko

Harry_Wilshusen

On my '06, if I try to start it with the side stand down (clutch engaged) first, then retract the side stand it won't start unless I release the clutch and then re- engage.

Harry

Bridgeton, MO

My 2007 R1200RT (and other bikes) do start with the sidestand up, in first gear, with the clutch disengaged. The clutch lever pulled-in is the enabler. In my opinion, yours should too.

Yup, it seems to me it used to start that way but I wasn't sure. Thinking I might be thinking of another bike.

I need to check the switch at clutch.

Thanks all.

Mikko

--

Mikko

Check the sidestand switch connection. Sounds like the bike is not being told the stand is up. Yes, it should start in 1st, clutch in, stand up. I dunno where the connection is, but just look around under there. I bet you have a dirty connector. Either that or your final drive just went out.

I don't think problem is with the side stand switch, because putting down the stand, when in 1st gear, kills the engine.

That's why I'm now thinking it must be the switch at the clutch....

--

Mikko

Yes they are. Clutch lever switch would indeed be my guess. Some of them simply get out of adustment. With the bike off and a good ear you should be able to hear the switch "click" if you listen down close to it.

On a couple all I have had to do is pull it appart and bend the switch's 'tab' a bit to get working again.

Need Advice; 2007 RT: Canbus:?

I have to scan a RF card to gain access to my workplace. Well, I killed the bike theother day while doing so. The bike restarted without complaint, however, the LIGHTS did not come on!

I do not remember the sequence of controls to push but the head light (low beam only I think) can be disabled (key on-engine off).

The only way to reset (that I know of) is to re-key the ignition.

Perhaps with all the fiddling with the badge reader, you accidentally pushed those controls????

Ask and ye shall receive.........

Thanks Bill :clap::clap::clap:

--

Mikko

Hi Mikko :wave:

I think Harry might have the answer your looking for.....

On my '06, if I try to start it with the side stand down (clutch engaged) first, then retract the side stand it won't start unless I release the clutch and then re- engage.

Harry

Bridgeton, MO

Howdy Eric. Mine doesn't start even if I retract the landing gear before hitting the start button (and pull in the clutch).

Last night I didn't really have time to work on the bike but quickly checked few things. And Ken has it right, the micro switch at the clutch lever is busted.

It makes a pretty click-click sound when pulling the lever but doesn't seem to open/close the circuit.

I pulled the cable going into the switch and shorted it with a piece of wire and then it starts also in 1 st gear, as it should.

I need to replace that switch.

--

Mikko

Harry_Wilshusen
.....And Ken has it right.....

Ummm... Ken-Harry, I knew it was one of those guy's :dopeslap::dopeslap:

Glad you solved it Sparky:grin:

I'm never right. Just ask my ex-wife.

Harry

Howdy Eric. Mine doesn't start even if I retract the landing gear before hitting the start button (and pull in the clutch).

Last night I didn't really have time to work on the bike but quickly checked few things. And Ken has it right, the micro switch at the clutch lever is busted.

It makes a pretty click-click sound when pulling the lever but doesn't seem to open/close the circuit.

I pulled the cable going into the switch and shorted it with a piece of wire and then it starts also in 1 st gear, as it should.

I need to replace that switch.

--

Mikko

I dont know if you can get it on its own - here is the exploded view - item 12

B0004929.png

and here is the listing

No Part Number Description Qty Each

-- 32727673996 adjusting screw BUY 1 $2.66

-- 32727675747 securing bolt BUY 1 $4.86

01 32727694289 clutch handlebar fitting (D=13MM) BUY 1 $340.02

02 32727691637 clutch lever BUY 1 $65.20

03 21527669907 expansion tank BUY 1 $38.37

04 21527674106 cover BUY 1 $13.31

05 21527674108 circlip BUY 1 $4.68

06 21527674107 rubber boot BUY 1 $10.65

07 32727675118 plastic bolt BUY 2 $2.71

08 32727678443 o-ring BUY 1 $1.84

09 32727673989 countersunk head screw (M5X30) BUY 1 $4.44

10 32727673990 sleeve BUY 1 $6.31

11 07119903070 hex nut (M5-A2-70) BUY 1 $0.88

12 61317671111 microswitch BUY 1 $23.67

13 32727673917 clamp BUY 1 $29.39

14 07129904792 isa screw (M5X20) BUY 2 $1.40

15 21520392546 hydraulic oil, vitamol v10 (250ML) NA 1

Mike:

I've had that 1st gear thing happen. The bike will start if you let the clutch out and give the computer time to go through the checks. Then pull the clutch, then start. About 3 seconds or so. A light changes on the dash when it's good to go. It's possible to confuse the computer.

-TB

Archived