Carrying a laptop - R12RT

AJBard

Hello,

I have an '05 RT with the top case. I rely on a laptop for work, and I travel a lot. I'd like to use my bike more for work-related travel, but haven't figured a safe way to transport my laptop.

Can anyone recommend a bag, or absent that, a method to carry a laptop that isolates vibration? Ideally it would fit in my top case. The only laptop bags I've seen for bikes are backpacks, which won't really work for me.

Thanks,

A.J.

Not sure how much this helps, since you likely have the BMW topcase, but...I got a Givi T450 from Twisted Throttle. With the Givi adapter plate this just snaps right on to the top rack. It is a bit bigger than what I was really looking for, but has room for my lunch, and my jacket liner in the afternoons. Happy with it overall. No laptop issues after about 6 months of use.

I just throw my laptop (in a very thin canvas briefcase) into my top case and have not had any issues over thousands of miles. It takes a lickin...

I use one of these.

Sea Line Computer Sleeve

I picked it up on sale for $10. The upside is it's padded and waterproof. The downside is it's padded so it takes up extra space. Before I got this, I used to put my laptop in a 2 gallon ziplock bag and packed it between my clothes.

I use a computer soft case from Aerostich that works great and fits nicely in the back portion of the side case of my RT - though all the Aerostich product will hold is the laptop itself. It is nicely padded and compact. You slip the laptop in and the end folds over and is held in place with velcro. They are available in various sizes. Mine fits the 14.1 inch 4:3 screen IBM T60 perfectly.

Jay

I just throw my laptop (in a very thin canvas briefcase) into my top case and have not had any issues over thousands of miles. It takes a lickin...

+1

I carry my IBM Thinkpad T61 widescreen in a neoprene sleeve--I think the brand is "Built" purchased at REI; in my sidecase with my clothes. Because the battery is large (I have the 9 cell), i usually carry the laptop with the battery removed and in its own neoprene sleeve (hijacked from my prior sony laptop).

I selected a Thinkpad because of the shock resistant hard drive and titanium cage (and I could run XP instead of Vista). I thought the features and price were good.

I would think that you could carry your laptop in your topcase with soft stuff packed around it and it will be reasonably well protected.

Frustrated_Diver

The company issued Dell that i have takes a licking and keeps on computing (my apologies to Timex). Until i can afford a top case, i'm just using 2 Wal-Mart bungee cords to strap the company issued backpack to the luggage rack. How do i know it works -- because after getting rear ended at a yellow light and having the bike shoot out from under me the PC still works. The backpack stayed attached to the bike and the PC is none the worse for wear. Today's notebook PC's are engineered to be pretty rugged. Just do it (again, my apologies to Nike).

I use a computer soft case from Aerostich that works great and fits nicely in the back portion of the side case of my RT - though all the Aerostich product will hold is the laptop itself. It is nicely padded and compact. You slip the laptop in and the end folds over and is held in place with velcro. They are available in various sizes./quote]

I have exactly the same one. Works great.

I've taken several cross-continent rides and simply put my "bare" laptop between layers of clothes in my top case. I never had a problem.

I have had this backpack for at least 3 or 4 years. Kensington It's plenty padded to protect my laptop and I can either wear it on my back (if I'm loaded up for a few day trip) or I will strap it to the pillon. In fact, I used to carry it on the pillon with the bottom of the back pack toward the front of the bike. It's bottom acted like a backrest. Now that I have a Corbin with a backrest, I just put it on the pillon, between the top case and the backrest. Anyway, great bag, good quality, great warranty.

I carry my 15" macbook in my topcase every day. Never had any problems.

The laptop lives in a padded sleeve, in a soft briefcase. Both are from Waterfield aka SFBags, and are extremely awesome. They hold up to the life of a motorcycle commuter well, and still look good at the office.

Hello,

.........a safe way to transport my laptop.

I use a small notebook sized PC ( (HP TX 2110).

When I pack it on the bike I use a neoprene sleeve like this one.

I just toss the power supply anywhere in the luggage, and pack the sleeve/notebook in my packed clothing to give it a little extra protection. Packed like that I doubt there is any damaging vibration. I have learned that if it's very cold, give the notebook a few minutes in the hotel room prior to firing it up.

Archived