IGNORED

Engine oil type

Bryan1

I'm sure this has been discussed on this site before but I couldn't get any results from the "search" box. Are any of you running an automotive oil in you engine? I was thinking of putting Castrol GTX in mine since my bike has a dry clutch. I can't see how the engine would know any difference between regular and synthetic oil......

Be prepared for a deluge of diverse opinions for opening up another oil thread.

In my case, I watch for sales and buy 20W-50 Valvoline Synthetic at the local auto McParts store.

I've put over 200K miles on a '86 K75, over 130K miles on a '92 K75RT, over 170K miles on a '99 R1100RT. Over 90% of the time they had Castrol GTX in the belly. All run perfectly until sold or totaled, none ever had the cylinder head off for any engine overhaul. How much better can it get?

IMHO - 3k changes of GTX 20w50 is just fine for a low mileage bike that hasn't been "bedded in". Then, anal types like me who live in hot climates use Mobil1 15w50 Silver top/red label (old formula) and I now run it at 6k changes

I use GTX 20w50 in LeRoy which only has 8k on him. DaRTh runs Mobil1 15w50 since the motor loosened up at 20k and, concurrently, my oil useage dropped.

I too am running Castrol GTX 20w50 in my 02 RT. The factory manual actually states..."BMW recommends Castrol". No more BMW brand oil for me!

Dave in Doodah

I have used Castrol GTX 20W-50 (and 10W-40 in the winter) for 98K perfect miles on the R100, and will be using it on the '03 RT as well.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

my bwm trained indy mechanic stated, when questioned, that bike wants API-SG not SJ or SL ) as has the most appropriate "additive pack". check your manual.

i have not seen castrol gtx 20w-50 API-SG so i though i would mention this.

Before everybody became a API expert, lots of us put hundreds of thousands miles on our funny little opposed engines using Castrol 20/50. Change every 3000K and be happy. I don't think the motors have changed that much since the Nicasil lining came out. Still has a dry clutch...

I still use Castrol 20/50 in my Air HEads. The new wet clutch beasties are a sack of different worms. Run Dino oil so says the guy at the dealer. :wave:

Another way to analyze and decide "which oil should I use?": Are there any documented engine problems or failures directly attributed to the oil used?..I don't remember seeing any smoking guns on this subject....These aren't race engines turning 12 grand for an hour or more.....All of this making me rethink even using any synthetic and certainly not BMW syn at over $20 a quart....

Dave in Doodah

That is a great point, now that you mention it - I imagine the API-rating specified by the manufacturer is more important than any brand loyalties - for motorcycles and cars alike...

Since I have read that oil is a 'fun' topic of discussion here... Yet another take on oil... :lurk:

And I apologize ahead of time if this has been addressed before. :grin:

Archived