RT radio compartment pocket/sack/bag?

Sailorlite

Evidently among the BMW Accessories for the R1200RT there's a $40 bag meant to fit into the radio compartment when no radio is fitted - sort of like a bag liner I think. BMW says it's to store small items like your wallet, sunglasses, cell, etc. My question is: does anyone use one of these? Do you typically remove the bag from the compartment to search its contents, or does the bag stay in the compartment? In general I like the bag liner concept, but I'm not exactly sure what the point of this accessory is.

Fightingpiper

I have one in mine but I think I paid around $25 for it. I wouldn't pay any more than that for one though. It's OK as I keep an extra stuff that I may need easy access to like a leatherman, the round piece of plastic I put under the sidestand when on bad ground, etc.. I don't know if I'd buy it again. Probably just find some cheap canvas bags that zip up and stick them in the compartment. I do store my tire patch tools under the bag though so the bag doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the compartment.

I have one. It sold for about $30 last year when I got my 2007 RT. I used it for about a month but I wouldn't buy it again. I just measured it and it is 6 and a half inches deep. As you know the compartment is much, much deeper than that. Mine is not that sturdy and is not real stable in the hole. If you put much pressure or weight on mine, it will fall through. The only way I see that it works is if you want to fill the compartment up with things to a level and then sit the little bag on top of that for some small things that you want to access easily. For some this might be very functional but didn't work for me due to the particular items I wanted to keep in there. When you see this bag in person it's hard to see it worth its price, but then again it's BMW. Enough said, huh? For what it's worth, I sort of built a false bottom in the compartment because the hole is so deep, I couldn't see the bottom. I used a small handtowel to take up some of the room way down in the bottom. Hope this helps.

russter

I have some small loose items (e.g. license & registration) in a tall zip lock baggie in that bin. Must cost about ten cents and works fine to 'organize' and make it easy to pull out of there.

I have a canvas bag with a Pusser's Rum logo on it, and a drawstring on top. It holds so much stuff I have to look for other things to put in it. After I squish stuff around, it slides in the radio box opening and goes to the bottom.

I think that hole comes out somewhere around the alternator belt cover it is so deep.

After the Pussers bag is in the hole, I top it off with glove liners and the zumo when I am parked... plus any other small stuff I can find. I do not need a $30 BMW bag for the radio box.

I really like the little overpriced bag. It's not that deep, as others have pointed out, so I can easily reach the stuff in it while seated on the bike. I usually put sunglasses and toll money in it. In the space below goes the gerber, registration, flashlight, whatever.

It sounds like the BMW bag is designed to more or less stay in place - you wouldn't generally lift it out of the compartment, and it doesn't close on top. It fills only the top "half" of the compartment? Is that about right?

That's correct. It's not meant to be removed but can be easily and has no closure.

I use it for keys, pencil for writing on gas receipts and stashing the Zumo. Since there is still room underneath others have stored emergency kits in there as well.

Archived