Installing front wheel with abs - problems

roughdiamond

I've removed the front wheel (r1200st)with ease, got a new tyre and then went to put the wheel back in. But, every time I tightened up the axle it forced the ABS sensor into the ring and stopped the wheel turning. Unfortumnately I did not initaially figure out what was going on and subsequently took the plastic coating off the end of the sensor. Never mind. However, I've had to loosen the axle out until the sensor has a millimeter os so clearance. I have just tightened the piched bolt and left it at that. Trouble is the manual states that I should tighten up the axle to 50nm (very tight). It rides fine and the ABS works but shouldn't that axle bolt be tight? What's going on? Many thanks

Yes - make sure the front end is tight!

Did you check you spacer, is it in the right place/position?

Is the sensor bracket bent?

The wheel assembly should slide in as easily as out.

Recommend not to ride the bike until it is sorted out.

ShovelStrokeEd

That is not right. Sounds like the axle is binding in the fork leg and thus causing a shift when tightening the axle nut. Do not use the clamp bolts on the fork leg to hold the axle while torquing the nut. Sequence should be tighten nut and then tighten axle clamp bolts after bouncing the fork a couple of times to allow things to self align.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

".....after bouncing the fork a couple of times to allow things to self align."

Very important step before tightening clamp bolts.

What spacer Semper_fi? I did think that I had maybe left s spacer out but nothing came out and i cannot find any spacer lying around. Also it's clear the axle bolt is screwed into to its original position because as i tighten it up and so forcing the abs sensor into the ring, so a clean part of the axle bolt becomes exposed. I'm obviously missing something here and am now wishing I took to it my BMW dealer even if they charge £65 per hour plus VAT!! Ahhhh.

All's well - many thanks to all for this - i loosened off all the fork bolts (top and bottom) /calipers - and presto it's all a snug fit. Not quite sure why but there you go. Many thanks

I've removed the front wheel (r1200st)with ease, got a new tyre

Who installed the tire?? I would suggest that the spacer you NEED is with who ever installed the tire. It is a large spacer that lives on the LHS or ABS sensor side of the wheel.

You should get the spacer and replace the now broken/intermittent ABS sensor and re-torque everything correctly. Once the plastic on the ABS sensor cracks or breaks water gets in and sensor will soon fail leaving your ABS non functional.

I would suggest that the spacer you NEED is with who ever installed the tire. It is a large spacer that lives on the LHS or ABS sensor side of the wheel.

Part # 2 in this diagram -

ST Front Wheel

And yes indeed it NEEDS to be there!

Archived