IGNORED

How to pack for 2 UP

gtunches

However you do it, you will look at the pile of stuff she has brought to the bike, and you will ask, "Honey, is this all you have to pack?" She will say "Yes, this everything but my purse." Don't fall for this.

she will come out to the bike ready to get on with a purse twice the size of a top box and expect you to find a place to put it. NO big purses thank you.

I hand Danielle a side case and tell her that is all the room she gets.......PERIOD. It has worked out pretty good so far.

I pack what I think I need, then put about 1/3 of it back........then right before I put the bags on the bike I tend to get rid of some more stuff. I still end up coming home with clothes I don't wear. As long as I have clean underwear and dry socks, the rest just doesn't matter much for me.

First do some research on microfiber clothing (ala hiking camping), things that are light wash/dry overnight and are samll in volume.

Using bag liners is good IMO, because then you know it will fit in the saddle bag.

You'll need to experiment, what works for us, might not for you.

Beth can pack one pair of pants, one dress if needed, multiple shirts and personal items in about 1/2 of a saddlebag liner.

This leaves room fro shoes, toiletries, possibly hair dryer.

Many items can be found in mini sizes.

She gets a pair of black flat shoes (Teva style that can be hiked in) and I bring a pair of sandles.

I take more stuff for wearing on the bike than for when we are off the bike so we have extra gloves, or Gerbings, or rainsuits, etc,,, for varied weather conditions.

This stuff ussally goes in the topcase (GIVI 52L) for easy acces along w/her small pack, out hats (for helmet hair when stopping).

I use convertible pants that will unzip into shorts, several microfiber shirts, one Ex Officio tavel/dress shirt and I can be all set.

We can pack for a month easily this way.

Avoid bulky items like jeans, cotton T shirts.

Spend more for better lightweight gear in the beginning.

After a while, I added the extra large touring lids to the bike w/idea os switching back and forth but I like them so much I leave them on.

I also carry cargo nets, Rok straps, some parts (relays, sight glass) tire repair kit, mini compressor, strap wrench, tool kit, big first aid kit, BMW acc. plug converter cable, and a bunch of incidental stuff I've added over the years.

Good luck.

You didn't mention whether you were camping on the trip or Hoteling.

I would agree that the sidecases and top box would be enough if the latter. If the former, then i would take off the top box and use a 'U bag'. That is what worked for my wife and I in the past, with the U bag holding our tent, sleeping bags, thermarest mattresses and pillows (hey we like to sleep in comfort!).

I also have the large lids on my hard bags, and agree that the liners makes life SOOO much easier.

What they said. Plus, we each take three sets of micro fiber riding clothes, but could probably get away with only two sets. Under Armour shorts, shits and shocks. Wash a set out in the sink at night with shampoo and they'll be dry by morning. If we're on the road for more than a week, we may splurge and try and find a real washer dryer.

If you go to an event that lasts more than a day or two, you'll see everyone wearing the same three shirts :grin:

Tom......I know its your birthday and all, but come on now :grin:

CoarsegoldKid

For a recent 13 days of motorcycling we each had a side case liner plus a shoe box sized fabric travel bag from REI. The travel bags are attached to the top of the side cases with nylon straps through the hand rails and the case handles. Fastec fasteners at the ends. I put duct tape on the painted surface of the cases so they would not get scratched. Then we had the large BMW top trunk for weather related stuff. Tankbag carried various things like camera, sunscreen, maps, sunglasses, cell phone, and wine on occasion. No camping.

I have done lots of trip two up. I always remind myself not to turn the bike into a truck. The top box I leave almost empty to carry gear, or beer. No tank bag for me. When the bike is loaded to the max, it's not as entertaining.

That's a Ventura bag man! Bolts right to the frame. I only get 30,000 out of a final drive though.

Now I understand the dilemma with the final drives.

Just love that RT.

I hand Danielle a side case and tell her that is all the room she gets.......PERIOD. It has worked out pretty good so far.

I pack what I think I need, then put about 1/3 of it back........then right before I put the bags on the bike I tend to get rid of some more stuff. I still end up coming home with clothes I don't wear. As long as I have clean underwear and dry socks, the rest just doesn't matter much for me.

+1 on this system!

All the above is good advice....

We always seem to pack something we never use. All you have to do is figure out what it is and not take it...

We have liner bags for the side and top cases. I bring them in the house and pack to those capacities. It helps to lay out everything at one time and see if it fits and where it will be carried. I even bring in my extra quart of oil and extra tools I plan to carry.

For what it is worth- the RT carries a whole lotta stuff...

My wife and I have done a number of long rides, e.g., five weeks to California. We carry everything we need in the R12RT's two side cases, 49L topcase and BMW tankbag. Like others have said, forget the jeans and cotton T-shirts -- use micrfibre clothing which packs more easily and washes easily in a sink if needed. If you're staying in motels, it's generally pretty easy to find a washer/dryer onsite in chain motels. Generally, we use the topcase for our rain gear and things like "dressy" shirts and pants that we fold, rather than roll up. We also carry a laptop in between layers of clothes. One side case we use for bike stuff (cover, Plexus, small oil bottle, tie down straps), and shoes (the biggest PITA). In the other side case goes socks, underwear, T-shirts, bathing suits, toiletries, and charging cords for all electronic devices (phone/camera/iPod/laptop). BTW, we use bag liners in all three cases. They work like a charm. The tank bag carries: cell phone, wallets, ownership/insurance papers, sunglasses, baseball cap, lip balm, sidestand "foot", spare faceshield etc.

Even after a five-week trip, we've discovered some clothing we'd never used. These long trips have been in warm weather so we've never carried heated gear. I just carry a windproof pullover shirt that works fine if it's a cooler morning in the mountains.

One side case we use for bike stuff (cover, Plexus, small oil bottle, tie down straps), and shoes (the biggest PITA).

True... I can attest that Mark arranged "special order delivery" of Plexus while in John Day for the Un. A man has his priorities after all! :grin: Seriously though, I learned from that trip to leave cotton garb at home and subsequently purchased quick drying washable synthetic duds plus carry a small amount of this stuff:

333304614.jpg

Jeff

One side case we use for bike stuff (cover, Plexus, small oil bottle, tie down straps), and shoes (the biggest PITA).

True... I can attest that Mark arranged "special order delivery" of Plexus while in John Day for the Un. A man has his priorities after all! :grin: Seriously though, I learned from that trip to leave cotton garb at home and subsequently purchased quick drying washable synthetic duds plus carry a small amount of this stuff:

333304614.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jeff. :wave: A man can never be too careful -- with his bike, that is. BTW, while I don't carry Woolite, I do carry dryer sheets with me.

+1

Top case for 'wets' etc

Works for me

Steve

"hand Danielle a side case and tell her that is all the room she gets.......PERIOD. It has worked out pretty good so far."

That pretty much sums up my response to my wife 11 years ago. :Cool:

+1

Top case for 'wets' etc

Works for me

Steve

Yep,

We each get a sidecase for clothes. It helps to have bag liners that can be removed without taking the cases off. They can be had for $50 on Fleabay.

The u-pack is for food and camping gear. The red ortlieb is for quick on/off items Like hiking boots, windbreaker, etc.

img_5303.jpg

We each get a side case, plus her toiletries/cosmetics bag goes on my side too. Her purse also goes i nthe top case, leaving room for extra liners, vests, gloves, shoes and drinks, misc. in the top case.

For camping... well, it gest interesting. I recommend compressible dry bags that you can strap down to the top of the topcase. Works great for extra souvineers and camping gear.

Save space by pitching a pair of socks and underwear at each overnight stop. Pack your oldest duds. :cry:

Long trip? Hit Wally World for more as needed. My wife likes this idea cause I will never replace old socks and underwear till they fall apart :grin:

Use the washer at the hotel every 4-5 days if you are out for several weeks.

We do it a little differently. My wife gets both side cases, and I use the top case. We use smush bags (cheap at Target, or pay a lot at Aerotich), which drastically reduce the volume of clothng. As others say, we don't take jeans or other bulky items.

On our most recent extended trip we wanted to take our hiking gear...day packs, boots, trekking poles, miscellaneous stuff, and bought a Cabela's dry DUFFEL, the "regular" size, and strapped it to the right side case, after covering the painted surface of the case with duct tape to protect against scratches. Worked fine, wasn't in the way, and SWMBO even liked it because she had an armrest.

The smush bags are the key, as they allow us to take along things like fleece jackets.

We do it a little differently. My wife gets both side cases, and I use the top case. We use smush bags (cheap at Target, or pay a lot at Aerotich), which drastically reduce the volume of clothng. As others say, we don't take jeans or other bulky items.

On our most recent extended trip we wanted to take our hiking gear...day packs, boots, trekking poles, miscellaneous stuff, and bought a Cabela's dry DUFFEL, the "regular" size, and strapped it to the right side case, after covering the painted surface of the case with duct tape to protect against scratches. Worked fine, wasn't in the way, and SWMBO even liked it because she had an armrest.

The smush bags are the key, as they allow us to take along things like fleece jackets.

Edit: Gerald, I believe you have the small top case. It and the side cases may not be enough room. Check the Cabela's dry duffel (it's a million times easier to pack and unpack than the end-open dry bags). You can just strap it to the pillion hand rail, the pillion footpeg support, and/or the luggage rack under your top case. Should be more than enough additional room.

Here's the LINK. The blue is very bright, as is the green; I vote against camo.

You need to guess how long you will be away. Each gets a side case, Givi 52 top box gets her purse, my gloves and misc. spares. Most of our stuff is the micro clothes, and we use those shrink bags. Sometimes we have shipped clothes out to the destination and we have shipped clothes home. One time I took old tee shirts and just threw them out, which lightened the load.

I try to pack the bulk of the weight low as when you put it on top of the Givi box it is unsprung out beyond the bike and plays havoc with the suspension. We have also used two small waterproof bags on top of the side cases, again carring heavy items low in the side cases. Whatever you pack it will be too much!

Archived