IGNORED

CALIFORNIA IN LATE FEBRUARY

motorbob

We are a group of 4 BMW riders from Montreal planning a motorcycle trip to California next February/March.

What's the weather like in Nothern Ca during that time of year ?

We are a group of 4 BMW riders from Montreal planning a motorcycle trip to California next February/March.

I don't live there, but can give you some generalizations.

The Sierras will be mostly off limits although the foothills would likely be accessible. The wine growing areas and the coastal areas should be wonderful. Going out on a limb here with the extent of my knowledge, but I think the coastal mountains should also be fine.

Napa and Sonoma should be absolutely beautiful if you can hit the fruit tree and mustard bloom season. I think this is mid-march.

That's the wet & snowy time of year... but I'm sure the CA version of wet must be more mild than the Canada version of wet :) Hopefully your dates will be a little flexible and you can plan the ride around the weather bit.

I bought my bike in Oregon last March and rode it home to the SF bay area. I made a 2 day trip out of it and didn't have any bad weather. Depends on just exactly where you are and what elevation, but for me the temps at night dipped below freezing and daytime got up to 60+F in certain areas. There was plenty of snow at the higher elevations (North of Redding), but the roads were in great shape.

Thi is late February just south of Monterey two years ago. Cold but beautiful. You'll hit rain and some snow I'll would guess. Nothing a Canadian rider can't handle. You can see the snow on the coastal mountains. This shot was taken on Pacific Coast Higway 1.

100_4322.jpg

Nor Cal is usually wet and cold with lows that blow in from Alaska via the Pacific. With our continuing drought, it may be just cold. The Central Valley is also plagued with ground fog at that time of the year.

Trailer your bikes to Southern California, and your riding will be more fun at that time of year. :/

Seriously, though, it drops to lows in the 30's in the evenings and early mornings at times in So Cal as well. I think if you come prepared with warm gear, plan your itinerary according to the weather, with contingency routes, avoid the mountains and higher deserts, you'll have a good ride.

The real problem is long term planning. If we get a two week stretch of stormy weather during the same period you're riding, you may be stuck in hotels a lot waiting for a clearing. Ice cold, sheeting rain and 30 to 70+ knot winds hurt as bad in California as in any other part of the world.

Good luck with the trip!

Scott

The others are correct. February is one of our wetter months. It is Winter, after all. But with just a little luck you can find yourself between storms and the riding can be just great.

The Sierra passes are either closed for the winter (Tioga Pass in Yosemite included), or too cold to be comfortable.

The Napa/Sonoma wine country is fine all year, barring a rainstorm. It's possible to find a temperature in the 30s F, but that's why Gerbings is in business. And Gerbings is why I can ride/commute all Winter.

Could be wet and cool, but it'll be a whole lot warmer than where your coming from. :)

BeniciaRT_GT and I are in the San Francisco Bay area (Benicia is very close to Sonoma, Napa, San Francisco, the coast) and would like to extend an invitation to your group for a place to stay, to garage the bikes, tools and a mechanic for working on the bikes, a hot shower and a meal. Whatever we are able to help with, just let us know!

The Sierras are a big part of "touring" northern Ca. and at that time of year all the great passes will probably be closed. However, the coast and many places inland will be great alternatives.

The weather is most likely to be in the 50-60s (F) but a good chance of rain a few days a week. Shouldn't get too cold, but you never know.

Jacqueline & Richard

Richard said: "I'm BeniciaRT_GT and I approved this message."

Could be cold and wet or it could be cool and clear. Our weather varies greatly here in the Bay Area. We've got lots of good roads in the outlying areas.

As was said, don't miss looping around sonoma/napa/mendocino.

Let us know your schedule when is firmed up, I'm sure you'll find many who'd like to share a meal.

Thanks to all for your help and invitations. You are a fine group.

We will delay our trip to early April. Weather should be much better. We wanted to leave earlier as we need a break from the cold and snow in February. I guess we will simply go to Mexico or the Dominican Republic (or Cuba !!) for a week in January.

We are planning to rent 4 BMWs (2 RT, 2 GT) from Pacific Cycle in San Jose.

The 4 of us are meeting this week to firm up dates.

Will keep you posted.

You should note that the Tour of California takes place in the middle of February and it is considered a "Chamber of Commerce" event. It can be uncommonly warm in Nor Cal during that time. Nonetheless, I think your idea of waiting until April has a lot to be said for it. Our winter is a lot like everyone else's wet spring. You will probably have really nice weather then, but don't forget your rain gear.

Thanks to all for your help and invitations. You are a fine group.

We will delay our trip to early April. Weather should be much better. We wanted to leave earlier as we need a break from the cold and snow in February. I guess we will simply go to Mexico or the Dominican Republic (or Cuba !!) for a week in January.

We are planning to rent 4 BMWs (2 RT, 2 GT) from Pacific Cycle in San Jose.

The 4 of us are meeting this week to firm up dates.

Will keep you posted.

January/February is prime riding time in Southern California and you're welcome to the same offer Jacqueline gave you down here in SoCal aka "Dry Town".

I've never used this outfit , but I've heard positive reviews and they are located right here in San Diego. My mid-January/February is looking pretty good for guided tours or maybe you can join us for our annual Death Valley Daze Ride over Martin Luther King Day Weekend on January 16-18th. If you're staying in San Diego, you can ride out with us on the back route over the mountains and through the Mojave Desert: Montezuma Grade, Borrego Springs Desert State Park, Salton Seaway, Box Canyon, Joshua Tree National Monument, a short piece of Route 66, etc.--all with only 10 miles of Interstate in 10-11 hours of riding! Then, you can move your April trip to May when the weather up north is better and ride from NorCal to Spring Torrey with those guys. Brilliant! :grin:

Archived