IGNORED

New (to us) Hazard

Twisties

So, we were heading out to see about Bullett's new shocks (see post in motorcycle talk), but I needed gas. We pulled up too the pump. I ran my card and when it authorized I lifted the nozzle out of the cradle with my right hand, while punching the premium button with my left hand, not really watching the nozzle. Also, I had my ear plugs in, so not really listening much either. When I looked back the nozzle was shooting a stream of gas ten feet and it was dousing Bullett in the head and body. I diverted the spray, and then it stopped for a moment, as I was looking to what was going on, it started back up. I quickly put the nozzle back in the cradle and it shut off. I never even touched the actuation handle. There was no emergency shutoff anywhere near the pump. It shot out 0.133 gallons.

The station attendant was no help whatsoever, and made coming out to see the mess his last priority, although when he did eventually come out 20 minutes later he marked the pump "out of order" and turned it off. When I ran a station all else would have been on hold immediately in the event of a gas spill. That would be job one for sure.

Sharon was thoroughly doused. It seems to have ruined her face shield. At first we thought her glasses were ruined, but now we think they are ok. Her gear got soaked including jacket, pants, gloves and helmet. My glove got soaked when I stuck the spewing nozzle back into the cradle. She got some skin irritation, but not bad.

I've never heard of anything like this.

Lesson learned: Watch the nozzle at all times. May be a good idea to take off the helmet and ear plugs too, as I think I would have stopped it sooner if I had heard more.

Jan

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I almost always fill my bike while sitting on it, never putting down the stand. After a few very small spills and squirts, I have learned to never take my eye off the nozzle from the time I remove it from the cradle to the time it's back. A lot of the time, the tip of the nozzle is full of gas and when it's tipped it dumps a small amount.

I've never heard of your experience though. Quite eye opening I'm sure.

I've done the same to myself with diesel oil from big-rig high speed pump. Got doused head to toe... not fun.

Since that experience I've been pretty careful to always check the "trigger lock" before pulling the nozzle from the cradle. I think this kind of incidents CAN happen if the trigger is locked "ON" when the pump starts.

I'm happy you both walked away from it without further, more serious, consequences.

--

Mikko

Wow, that could have gotten REALLY bad in a hurry - glad you were not more seriously injured. I've had a number of experiences where the pump won't shut off properly using the trigger on the nozzle and continues to dribble as you put it away on the pump (always with cars, thankfully never affectig any person), but never anything this bad.

It was quite a shock to see that stream of gas coming at me. WTF! It was so fast I didn't have time to react. This was the first time I have ever pulled off my helmet and glasses at the same time.

My shield was up, but luckily my glasses protected my eyes from a direct hit.

We Californian's are fortunate to have nozzles that won't dispense gas. Thanks to our supreme elected officials who enacted some "clean air" laws years ago we have some accordion contraptions that defy logic when trying to fill MC tanks. I end up pulling and straining the accordion bellows backwards while I am filling my tank. That of course causes all kinds of hydrocarbons to be filtered into the air as I contribute my share to global warming.

CoarsegoldKid
as I contribute my share to global warming.

Shame on you. :grin:

Bullett, we are pleased to know you are alright. A similar thing happened to me without the soaking.

The station should of had an emergency or eye wash or shower station. I think that is required...maybe not.

I hope the station would have offered to replace your ruined gear since it was their faulty equipment that caused the incident. They should have some insurance for these types of events.

I've never heard of this happeneing, but I suppose that's why they often recommend that you insert the nozzle before hitting the start button... or lefting the lever that turns on the pump. Like you, however, I normally hit hte button before I insert the nozzle. In either case, some fuel would have been spilled, but at lest it might not have ended up on Bullett.

That is intesting that there's not way to stop the pump. I'm sure there's a e-stop button inside the station... but not locally I guess...where it might be useful. Then again, punk kids might be hitting it all the time.

Geesh, I'm glad you and Sharon are okay.

I had an issue 'bout two years ago with a nozzle that locked on and wouldn't stop (catch was broken) so gas went all over the bike and windshield and instruments and my gloves but that's it. I pointed the nozzle toward a planter at the station and it ran until the attendant shut the pump down. What a mess. It was fortunate I was only a mile from home so we gave the bike a good wash down and wax and all was okay.

Holy cow, guys. What a bummer. And the gear won't be the same I bet. I would be seeking compensation.

Was the nozzle lever stuck on?

I don't think so. I gripped the handle normally. When I put it back the cradle I noted it was then in the off position but was still spewing full force. If it was stuck on, then I don't understand why it stopped and re-started.

A couple of more thoughts on this in the lessons learned category:

It is probably a good idea to know where the emergency shutoff is before you start.

It wouldn't hurt to check for smokers or other sources of ignition before starting either. We were just lucky Sharon didn't end up like this:

200px-WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

Like Laura, I almost just ditched the running hose on the ground, then it occurred to me to try replacing it in the cradle. Good to know that works. In the old style where there was a lift handle under the nozzle you could just shut that off, and it was obvious. This one didn't have one of those.

I now have a new appreciation for the 2 gallon per minute limit on pump flow rates, and the no smoking rule.

We'll look over the gear real good once it has thoroughly de-odored. I'll hang it out on the sun again today.

Jan

Nice idea but I am sure the friendly folks at the California Air Resources Board and the California Environmental Protection Agency will take a dim view (pun intended) of something like this.

My previous comment about allowing hydrocarbons into the atmosphere and doing my part for global warming was tongue in cheek and political sarcasm..of course.

Now who will admit to doing a cannisterectomy?

Remember in the old days when you went to a diner and the top of the salt shaker was unscrewed. Kids that did that have grown up and are setting the 'trigger' lock of the nozzle to on. As soon as the pump activates you've got gas. Had that happen with my car. I now always make sure the trigger lock is off before I use the pump.

Nice n Easy Rider
Remember in the old days when you went to a diner and the top of the salt shaker was unscrewed. Kids that did that have grown up and are setting the 'trigger' lock of the nozzle to on. As soon as the pump activates you've got gas. Had that happen with my car. I now always make sure the trigger lock is off before I use the pump.

That sounds like a plausible explanation but from someone who might have (can't remember back that far :) ) himself once performed the salt shaker mischief there is a big difference between spilled salt on a countertop and gasoline shooting all over people and their property.

Sharon, glad you're OK and Jan, sorry for what had to be a very disconcerting experience.

I'm certainly going to begin checking the nozzle before I remove it from now on!

I was under the impression that the trigger was to release when there is no flow of gas, e.g. I don't think you should be able to do this, short of perhaps using wire, a zip tie, or string. I know you can't set the trigger lock until the gas is flowing.

I'm almost certain this was a malfunction of some sort.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I was under the impression that the trigger was to release when there is no flow of gas, e.g. I don't think you should be able to do this, short of perhaps using wire, a zip tie, or string. I know you can't set the trigger lock until the gas is flowing.

On all the dispensers I've ever used, you can squeeze the trigger all you want, but it won't be able to "reset" (and dispense fuel) until AFTER the pump actually turns on and builds pressure at the handle. If the trigger is already pulled when the pump begins to build pressure, you need to release the trigger to get it to reset; only then will it dispense gas if you pull it.

For clarity: if some miscreant wires or zip-ties the trigger to the "open" position, it won't dispense gas until you release the trigger and pull it again - and that only after the pump turns on.

I'm almost certain this was a malfunction of some sort.

I'd agree, and a scary one at that. Glad things didn't turn out worse.

When it happened to me, the latch was just the silver tab that catches in the idents at the bottom. When you pull the trigger, the indent releases. I thought back pressure of some sort released the trigger.

Since I'm getting old and my memory sometimes fails me :grin:, I'll check this out next time I get gas.

Sorry for hijack but Sage, that looks really cool!! Nice job.

Yeah, a great fade from Micheal to Gweneth. :grin:

Gweneth's response is unprintable! :/

I see payback in your future! :dopeslap::wave:

Up to 400.... and 382 of them today! :dopeslap:

(Just glad to see you posting here again!)

((Tricks are turned in the next county over. It's illegal here...)

I remember when they shut it down in Lincoln. Deer tags fell by half.

Is there some place nearby where we can play, this place scares me, its so big and there are soon many strangers and you know what ours moms told us about strangers......

My word, I'm glad Sharon is okay! I hate to hear that the gas station couldn't step up and be more responsible....

Jean, I think you should just come up here and fire this guy. :grin:

Jan...

Another time where the words "Yes Dear" should be used.... :/

All kidding aside, I'm glad things did not end on a worst note.

J-

I have unfortunately had a lot of practice this week doing just that very thing. I had to let some good people go, I wouldn't have a problem letting someone who isn't up to snuff go for sure!! :/

Boy oh boy. That sounds like a pretty dangerous event. I hope Bullet is ok. Id keep an eye on things for the next few days.

That gas has alot of chemicals in it and you want to make sure theres no rashes, sinus or respiratory irritation, or anything like that. Lesson learned, take your ear plugs out next time( Not that I would have thought of that either).

Id raise hell with the gas station simply because it sounds like they could care less. Raise Hell and I mean it. Maybe its time they learned a lesson or two.

It was quite a shock to see that stream of gas coming at me......

Well lately when I go to the pump I feel like I'm getting hosed but you actually did :eek:

Glad you kept (your) cool.

I noticed a gent named "Boney" who makes a practice of filling his tank while sitting on the bike? The MSF really tries to discourage this action. Essentially ,what you`ve got is a hot machine,(hotter pipes) dispensing an extremily volatile liquid while sitting atop the whole shootin match. Gasoline will really burn (no sh--t) , but with an extremly fast flash action. You aint gonna get off the machine fast enough . I believe you would try & bail ,however some fuel from the nozzle you`re holding in your hand has got to spew just a little. And it`s not going to spew chicken soup. You`re going to get burned, it`s a no win situation. P.S I`m sorry for your mishap "Twisties", gas is really a bitch ,I`m glad your Sharon didn`t get burned. As you can see from the avatar,I passed "gas" for 20 years!

It was quite a shock to see that stream of gas coming at me......

Well lately when I go to the pump I feel like I'm getting hosed but you actually did :eek:

Glad you kept (your) cool.

Yeah. Gas prices going down . . . (music from Jaws)

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the gas station. . .

:grin::grin::grin:

I noticed a gent named "Boney" who makes a practice of filling his tank while sitting on the bike? The MSF really tries to discourage this action. Essentially ,what you`ve got is a hot machine,(hotter pipes) dispensing an extremily volatile liquid while sitting atop the whole shootin match. Gasoline will really burn (no sh--t) , but with an extremly fast flash action. You aint gonna get off the machine fast enough . I believe you would try & bail ,however some fuel from the nozzle you`re holding in your hand has got to spew just a little. And it`s not going to spew chicken soup. You`re going to get burned, it`s a no win situation. P.S I`m sorry for your mishap "Twisties", gas is really a bitch ,I`m glad your Sharon didn`t get burned. As you can see from the avatar,I passed "gas" for 20 years!

I fully agree with your point and would never fill up sitting on the bike. Besides, when it is time to fill up, I want to get off the bike anyways.

A technical question: Can gas really ignite from a hot exhaust or a hot engine, or does it need a spark or flame to go up?

I fully agree with your point and would never fill up sitting on the bike. Besides, when it is time to fill up, I want to get off the bike anyways.

A technical question: Can gas really ignite from a hot exhaust or a hot engine, or does it need a spark or flame to go up?

Yes, it can ignite from a hot surface. I don't know if an engine or exhaust pipe is hot enough, but I'm almost sure the exhaust would be right at the point it leaves the engine.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I suspect a red-hot, cast-iron exhaust manifold under the hood of a car that's just exited the freeway might be able to light off gasoline. But a thin stainless steel pipe that's been hanging out in the slipstream? Probably not.

Several years ago I noticed a fuel leak while riding. It was drip-drip-dripping onto the cat while stopped at a traffic light, and although each droplet produced a puff of smoke while rapidly evaporating, it never did catch fire.

In any case, during refueling I prefer to retain the option of rapid egress. I always dismount, and on those rare occasions when I want to just quickly gas-and-go, I disconnect the Autocom cable that connects the bike to my helmet.

But I still would have been caught just as off-guard as Jan was; I usually activate the pump before I get the nozzle in the gas tank...

I would have called 911 and ask for the fire marshall to repond. You could at least file a report with the police or fire department. My experience is that a lot of localtities give FMs police powers and juristiction over gas station safety. They could take a report that you could use for a compensation claim, fine the station or shut down the entire station if he/she deamed it necessary.

O wait, cell phones cause gas station explosions :dopeslap: :dopeslap: :dopeslap:

Paul In Australia

I have seen this before but with a guy refuelling a car and watching a cute girl, instead of what he was doing( the guy was me).

Anyway, this problem , with its associated lack of instant mobility and fire danger, is the reason In Australia it is illegal to refuel a motorbike whilst sitting astride it. You have to get off simple as that.

Glad you were both ok.

best regards

Glad you are OK.

About 6 weeks ago while filling my bike the pump failed to shut off when I released the lever. The locking spring was broken and the lock lever fell in the way of the release. Fortunately I had glasses on. The attendant was right there. When I explained what happened he said: "Good thing you didn't spill much at these prices." I just asked him to get it fixed and drove off.

In California there is a phone number on the pump to report malfunctioning pumps.

Archived