IGNORED

Doofed up again... >>

BalancePoint

Changed out my fuel filter, along with a couple of the internal fuel hoses (used J10 hose) and other than a mess all went fine. All back together, fuel light on. I know...

So I clapped it a few smart ones on the side of the tank- light went out! Then I noticed the dent I put in the side of the tank with the heel of my hand.

Anyone had any luck getting these kinds of shallow dents out? Sorry for the lack of a pic, but darkness was chasing me to the end of the job.

Jerry Johnston

Not a problem........just ride it in the dark. :grin:

Have you tried pushing a toilet plunger against the dent and rapidly pulling on it?

Not a problem........just ride it in the dark. :grin:

Have you tried pushing a toilet plunger against the dent and rapidly pulling on it?

No, but I will. It's pretty shallow.

I once did the same on an older BMW tank. A local body shop suggested pouring boiling water over the dent - three kettles - to get it really hot - then use the plunger. It worked perfectly.

Craig

Changed out my fuel filter, along with a couple of the internal fuel hoses (used J10 hose) and other than a mess all went fine. All back together, fuel light on. I know...

So I clapped it a few smart ones on the side of the tank- light went out! Then I noticed the dent I put in the side of the tank with the heel of my hand.

Anyone had any luck getting these kinds of shallow dents out? Sorry for the lack of a pic, but darkness was chasing me to the end of the job.

BP, if it is a soft edge dent (no creased edges) you can probably hot glue a piece of round wood to the center of the dent then give it a pull to remove the dent.. Once dent is removed either re-heat the glue or twist the wood to get the wood off.. The hot glue should peel off with your fingers..

If the dent is sharp edged (creased) you will have to do major surgery to remove it & that means re-painting..

Twisty

Changed out my fuel filter, fuel light on. I know...

So I clapped it a few smart ones on the side of the tank- ...I noticed the dent I put in the side of the tank with the heel of my hand.

What bike is it. I looked at your profile and you aint filled it in.

So if it is a metal tank and the bike is nice and you want it to stay that way, I'd take it to a body shop and get them to do it otherwise you may make matters worse.

Andy

Changed out my fuel filter, fuel light on. I know...

So I clapped it a few smart ones on the side of the tank- ...I noticed the dent I put in the side of the tank with the heel of my hand.

What bike is it. I looked at your profile and you aint filled it in.

So if it is a metal tank and the bike is nice and you want it to stay that way, I'd take it to a body shop and get them to do it otherwise you may make matters worse.

Andy

It's a 1998 R1100R. The dent is quite shallow, and I'm not going to do anything drastic about it. Maybe dent the other side in the same place...

Compressed air will usually work. You will need your gas tank as empty as possible and a blow nozzle on the air line. You can use an old towel or rag to help seal the gas filler opening.

Archived