IGNORED

Exhaust plugs

Dave McReynolds

Dave McReynolds

In the latest issue of MCN, one of the featured products was exhaust plugs "to keep water out of your exhaust pipes when you're washing the bike." I've always just ridden the bike around after washing it to get rid of any excess water that might have accumulated anywhere.

Am I missing something, or is this just a solution in search of a problem?

Quick! where's my wallet!!! Where can I get one!! I gotta hurry before they are all sold out or raise the price!!! Best invention EVER!!!!

:dopeslap:

It an essential product for people that are stupid enough to spray a lot of water directly inot hte open exahust. I don't see how a small amoutn of water will hurt anything. Especially if you fire up the bike after washing.

Keep in mind that a normal byporduct of combustion is water, The 2 main components comming out of the exhaust all the time are water vapor and CO2. Although the heavy coating of carbon keeps the inside of the exhaust pretty well protected.

Exposed steel or aluminum sufaces inside the engine are going to oxidize a little anyway even if there isn't some water in the exhaust pipes.

The only time this might be needed, is if the exahust pipe didn't have a low spot and empties directly into the cylinder. That would be a stupid design and after parking outdoors in a hard rain, the engine could be damaged when starting.

I have used a cut out segment from a tennis ball to keep water out of the exhaust, but I only go to this trouble if I am going to be doing a lot of spraying back there.

Jay

The idea of an exhaust plug comes from dirt bikes. Wash the bike between motos, etc. usually involved pressure washers, etc.

Plugging the exhaust prevents the water from going down into the exhaust where, on most dirtbikes, there is wadding/packing/fibre for sound attenuation. Water just degrades the packing quicker.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The idea of an exhaust plug comes from dirt bikes. Wash the bike between motos, etc. usually involved pressure washers, etc.

Plugging the exhaust prevents the water from going down into the exhaust where, on most dirtbikes, there is wadding/packing/fibre for sound attenuation. Water just degrades the packing quicker.

Many years ago a friend and I borrowed another friend's YZ250. He reminded us to uncork the exhaust before starting the engine, but of course we forgot. We got out to the trailhead, fired it up, and couldn't figure out why it was running like crap; took us about ten minutes before we noticed the big fat cork in the pipe. Oops.

I don't even ride my RT after washing it; muffler is just fine after ten seasons.

In the latest issue of MCN, one of the featured products was exhaust plugs "to keep water out of your exhaust pipes when you're washing the bike." I've always just ridden the bike around after washing it to get rid of any excess water that might have accumulated anywhere.

Am I missing something, or is this just a solution in search of a problem?

Dave, I have used an exhaust plug for years.. Especially on my bikes with upswept exhausts.. I also use the rubber plugs for winter storage to keep the mice out of the pipes..

I just make my own plugs from a rubber bung plugs & a little round knob & bolt.. Or use rubber balls in the muffler ends of my Harley & cut in half hollow rubber balls on my Ducati..

First off I usually don’t ride the bike after washing (I do run it a couple of minutes to dry the engine parts off),, I also have a couple of bikes with upswept mufflers & low cylinders so it would be possible to have some water enter the engine if I got a lot of water in the exhaust.. I also don’t like black sooty water blowing out of the mufflers all over my other stuff or the back of the bike I just washed..

You just have to remember to remove the rubber plug or plugs before starting the engine or it either won’t start or if it does fire it will blow those plugs into orbit..

Twisty

Many years ago a friend and I borrowed another friend's YZ250. He reminded us to uncork the exhaust before starting the engine, but of course we forgot. We got out to the trailhead, fired it up, and couldn't figure out why it was running like crap; took us about ten minutes before we noticed the big fat cork in the pipe. Oops.

I don't even ride my RT after washing it; muffler is just fine after ten seasons.

I did exactly the same thing after washing the gsxr. I started it up and it barely ran for about three seconds, then it ran fine.

I couldn't figure out what happened until I started packing up all the wash items. The exhaust plug was nowhere to be found. After some searching, it turned up in the neighbor's bushes across the street.

Archived