Took day off to ride California's legendary hwy 58

eyesurgeon

Hwy 58 is amazing and a local California legend but a bit of a drive from Fresno so I don't ride it as much as it deserves. I decided to take a Monday off to do it justice. With an 0630 departure, Hwy 41 and then I-5 puts me at the starting gate in Mckittrick in about 2.5 hrs.

100 miles of playtime starts here...

CIMG3486.jpg

Despite the fact that it's almost Halloween, it's still quite warm out. Ditch the electrics mid-morning and take a pic...there are gobs of curves like this on either end of 58, with a table-flat valley in the middle.

CIMG3501.jpg

58 is as isolated as you can get in these parts. Just me and the windmills...

CIMG3488.jpg

A different perspective...

CIMG3489.jpg

love that clear blue sky...

CIMG3494.jpg

oh and buffalo too...

CIMG3491.jpg

California Valley separates the twisties at either end of this ride. It's flat and if you're in the mood it's a good place to burn off the carbon.. Just watch the whoop-de-doos...

CIMG3500.jpg

Don't you just love signs like these?

CIMG3493.jpg

Headed towards Santa Margarita...I ran into two guys on Harleys. One was a Pashnit member who recognized me. The other just returned from Iraq. Hope you had fun, guys.

CIMG3495.jpg

The GT looks happy...

CIMG3498.jpg

Into Santa Margarita, grab a bite to eat at the deli (delicious sandwiches right there on the main drag). What to do now...I could ride to the coast and take hwy 1 north. Even better...turn around and ride 58 again :2thumbsup. It's that good...

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

My favorite ever is Hwy 36 out of Red Bluff, CA to Fortuna on the coast. When you start on this Hwy there is a Yellow sign, with a squiggly line and an arrow--underneath is a sign "147 miles". No trucks and almost no cars. Awesome.

Great pics. I live in Bakersfield which is right at the start of the 58 run. I too like that road a lot, unfortunately I have not ridden it in a while. I need to get out and ride it again soon. :/

Oh Yeah!

I really like this picture:

CIMG3501.jpg

Sounds like Hwy 58 has a little bit of everything.

Thanks for sharing. . . I'm jealous too.

I know that windmill and 58 well having been on it 3-4 times in the last year. The last time I was by there just to left of your front wheel you will see two thick vertical posts with the crossbar. There was what looked like a large dead squirrel sitting on top of the left post. When we stopped in Taft I commented on it and my buddy behind me saw the same thing. It is a vintage central valley California road. Said another way, simply superb!! Thanks for the pics.

Once again, thanks for some good pictures. 58 is a great road, especially in a wet spring when it's green and covered with wildflowers.

Here'e some from the same road in the spring...

CIMG2908.jpg

CIMG2910.jpg

CIMG2912.jpg

CIMG2904.jpg

My favorite ever is Hwy 36 out of Red Bluff, CA to Fortuna on the coast. When you start on this Hwy there is a Yellow sign, with a squiggly line and an arrow--underneath is a sign "147 miles". No trucks and almost no cars. Awesome.

I just saw this picture on another discussion board last week.

396715138_CWVPw-M.jpg

And when you get to Fortuna, stop at the Eel River Brewery. Great pub food and a classic motto on their tee shirts: "Live naturally - drink naked"

Archived