IGNORED

Replacement Tires for a 2007 R1200RT

HenWin

It is nearing the time for me to replace the OEM Pilot Roads on my 2007 R1200RT.

I've never been very happy with the Pilot Roads. For me, they are not confidence inspiring and tend to "slip" at inopportune moments.

The BEST tires I've ever had were a set of Metzler ME880s on my R1100RTP, however they are not available in the stock size for the R12. It seems to me that I had Metzler z6's on the RTP after the 880s and wasn't enthralled with them, either.

I weigh about 190lbs, and ride reasonably (as some would describe it) enthusiastically.

I'm seriously thinking about the Avon Storm ST, as I know several people who think very highly of them. One person I know has put over 70,000 miles on 7 or 8 sets. He's happy as a pig in poop with them.

Others I've talked to within my own club (BMWBMW) have said:

Pilot Road 2s, and the Conti Road Attacks (dual compound).

Want to weigh in?

thanks.

You can mount the 170/60x17 ME880 on the rear of the R1200RT, instead of the stock 180/55x17 tires. Many people have done that and are happy with it.

Paul In Australia

I have about 3000 miles on a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas on a 2008 R1200RT. I am very happy with them. Hang on really well in the twisties and the wet. Best I have had on several RT"s so far and wear so far is negligable.

Give these a go. I am glad I have. regards PCH :/

So far I'm impressed with the OEM Z6's on my '08. Haven't spent much time in the wet but I had Z6's on my FJR in serious wet and they were great. If they last >6K miles I'll be tempted to continue using 'em.

Haven't tried the newer Avon Storms but my last-generation Avon ST's "went away" too fast, where handling changed noticeably way before end-of-life. The Storms are on my to-try list.

H.W.

I have ME880's on Ruby with the 170/60/17 rear tire and I have not seen any difference in handling etc. This was the first time I have run the ME880 so they really felt different. I also had to play around with the pressure. I am running 36F/41R and it seems to be about right for me. So far I have about 2500 miles on them and I am getting ready to head out to the desert this weekend so that will be another 400 mile weekend. Other than the usual road grime they still look new and I am counting on getting A LOT of miles out of them.

If you think the Pilot Roads "slip" with your riding style, IMO, I think you're looking for trouble with ME880's. In terms of grip, the Pilot Road is light years ahead of the ME880.

Nice n Easy Rider
So far I'm impressed with the OEM Z6's on my '08. Haven't spent much time in the wet but I had Z6's on my FJR in serious wet and they were great. If they last >6K miles I'll be tempted to continue using 'em.

Haven't tried the newer Avon Storms but my last-generation Avon ST's "went away" too fast, where handling changed noticeably way before end-of-life. The Storms are on my to-try list.

I have >7K miles on my OEM Z6's so far and the rear should be good for at least another 1 K, the front maybe 3 K. I've heard a lot of support for a number of different brands but given the way these have performed I'll probably go with them again. I ride 1-up with the pressures at ~37/40.

AVON STORMS :thumbsup:

Great tire; especially for "spirited" riders. :)

If memory serves, the "Storm" replaced the Avon "Azarro's", a good tire in & of itself. Initially, some folks reported challenges with "Storm" front tire "cupping", but I haven't heard anymore about that lately.

I never experienced the cupping but tend to run slightly higher pressure then recommended (38-39 F, 40-42 R).

Good in both the corners and the wet. While not impressed with rear tire milage (average 5-5.5K) the confidence they give me more then makes up for it.

Have also heard good reports about the Piralli "Diablo Strata's".

Good Luck.

Between Sharon and I we have had on our pair of '07 RT's:

OEMs: Z6, Bridgestone 020

1st Replacements: Continental Road Attacks, Avon Storms (Avon rear replaced with Bridgestone 021 after 3500 miles due to a split caused by a rock)

2nd Replacements: Michelin PR2's

3rd Replacements: Michelin PR2's

Sharon would consider going back to the Conti's. I'm set with PR2s. The Avons and Contis were both very good. I was not at all comfortable with the 021 rear.

The Z6's cupped in the front, and even though there was plenty of tread left at 6500 miles we replaced them due to the poor ride and handling caused by the cupping. They are a very different tire from the rest of the pack. Quite a bit stiffer carcass, and more "U" than "V" shaped. We had them on a rental bike earlier this month and I really disliked them, again. You really have to push the RT into turns and hold it there with the Z6's on them compared to the others. Some may appreciate the more stable ride, but not me. The other issue with Z6's is that people often find they are riding on cords. They don't give adequate warning before they are done.

To me, the PR2s offer the best grip of the bunch by quite a wide margin. We rode a lot of twisties very hard on the first set this summer, and I slabbed the sides of the front flat. However they still felt fine and were riding great. We went out to Richard and Jacquelines TechDaze in Benicia and I odered replacements shipped out there because we were down to 3 mm tread depth remaining two weeks before we left SLC. However the 800 miles of super slab only served to round the tires back out a bit, and we still had 3 mm remaining when we got to Benicia. Of course we went ahead and changed them out then anyway at 6500 miles. I think maybe we could 8000 - 9000 out of them. the best we've gotten on any of the others was 6500.

Jan

Just remember the Dunlop RoadSmarts too. I've had PR's, RoadAttacks, and Storms on my bike prior to the Dunlops, and if the Dunlops last as long as they have for others, they will be my tire of choice (of all the ones I've tried). I liked the Conti's and the Avon's, but both lasted around 6k miles. The OEM PR's lasted about 10k, but weren't nearly the tire that the others were in terms of feel.

Orignal tires on my bike were the Conti Road Attcks - liked them very much, got about 10K out of them before swapping out with PR2.

I like the PR2 better.

YMMV my $0.02

Dunlop Roadsmarts. I have 6,000 miles on mine and probably 2,000 to go. I have tried Road Attacks, Avon Storms, Pilot Roads, etc. My last set of Road Attacks were toast at 5100 miles.

I had the Bridgestone's as OEM and felt they were pretty good. I subsequently went with several sets of Conti Road Attacks and liked them very much. The last set I put on were the Dunlop Road Smarts. For me the Road Smarts are equal to the Conti's in handling but the wear I'm getting is vastly over any other tire I've tried. I'm sticking to Road Smarts for now.

Another vote for the Roadsmarts. I replaced the Z6's I had on my RT 2000 miles ago, and the bike handles much better with the Dunlops.

Most of the miles have been high speed two up with loaded cases, and I am only seeing very minimal wear so far.

I've run 2 sets of Road Attacks on my 12RT. About 6000 miles, but I might replace earlier than others. Might try the Roadsmarts next, just for a change.

My Pilot Road 2's are the best bike tires I have ever had. Put them on as replacement tires after 10K on Bridgestones. The PR2's inspire much more confidence. 6K on them now and no real signs of wear, either, so I think they are living up to the PR. These tires were not cheap, but they were worth every penny.

Formerly_Capecodbeemer

I have said before my favorite tire is a new one. The difference to the old worn tire is so dramatic that I fall in love instantly.

That being said I kept track this time around and offer this. All tires were riden the same except the Dunlops that were riden on a 7500 mile trip with lots of slab and agressively run on western chip seal.

Stock (forgot brand and didn't write it down) 9400 okay miles

Pilot RD 2s front was heavily cupped when replaced at 11886 miles

and the feedback and vibration at the end were awful but still had rubber.

Z6s biggest smile after replacement of old PR2s but only got 5410 miles

let out my inner child but rear was down to wire a first for me.

Dunlop Roadsmarts good confident tire in twisties and on slab got 9015

down to wire front and back

Avon Storms current tire so no mileage, maybe the best if the mileage exceeds the Z6s Very confident in the twisties even found the lean angle of my engine guards !!! (yikes more body and less bike lean, I will RideSmart, I will RideSmart, I will RideSmart..........)

It seems that every post has a different view and that may be as it should. Whats more subjective then how the tire "feels"? Catch an unseen drop of oil with your rear tire and in that seat pucker instant you have relegeted your tires to the "they suck" corner and have already moved on in your mind. So remember YMMV.

I Have Dunlop D220s on my 2006 R1200RT. These are the "run flat"

tires. I haven't tried that yet but I'm happy with the performance.

I only have 5000 or so miles on the tires so far so I can't say

how many miles you will get.

Bob

So far I had the stock Conti Road Attacks:

- very good mileage, I have 12.000 km. and they are still o.k.;

- very poor performance on rain or cold.

I have used other tires on other bikes, but this is by far the worst tire I have had in the rain (dancing at relatively constant speed).

I'm impressed w/ my Metzler Z6s. Good in the NC mountains and they stick fine in the rain. Just put my 2nd set on my R1200 RT.

I've had ME880s on 4 other bikes and was very happy w/ them, too.

Nice n Easy Rider
I'm impressed w/ my Metzler Z6s. Good in the NC mountains and they stick fine in the rain. Just put my 2nd set on my R1200 RT.

kpax, how many miles did you get out of your first set of Z6s? And what pressures do you run?

Right now, I'm running a Z6 on the front of my 07 RT with an ME880 on the rear. I'm very happy with the combination. I went with the ME880 rear because I wanted a tire that would last more than 6K miles. Handling seems as good as the PRs and PR2s I was using previously.

OK ... have been reading this thread and gleened some good information but have one question. It seems as though average mileage is 6-9000 miles before replacement? Is this correct. Seems only the ME880 last longer. The tires on my GS run about 11-12000 miles on the rear and 12-14000 on the front. My R1100RT got about the same. Both running Metzlers. Only my LT got poorer miles as had to replace the rear at about 8,000 miles. So should I expect about 9K best case on the R1200RT? Just looking to set my expectations.

So should I expect about 9K best case on the R1200RT? Just looking to set my expectations.
Well, YMMV has never been truer than in this.

It all depends. I'd say set the expectation at 6k. You may be pleasantly surprised, but you probably won't be too disappointed.

So should I expect about 9K best case on the R1200RT? Just looking to set my expectations.
Well, YMMV has never been truer than in this.

It all depends. I'd say set the expectation at 6k. You may be pleasantly surprised, but you probably won't be too disappointed.

Thanks! That is what I thought and already disappointed. I am very easy on tires but 6k is much less that hoped.

I am moderately tough on tires (too much right wrist) but I find my tire life bounces from 4500 - 10000 depending on tire. The PR2's are mostly gone but still have 1-2 mils above the wear bars with 9000 miles on them.

I am going BT-016's next for a different type of agressive tire.

JT

I see that Metzeler's site now lists ME880s in 180/55 VR or ZR 17 and have VRs for the front. I may give these a try, but my BMW dealer always stamps the invoice that the tires are not recommended as a liability caveat. I have run 880s on both K and R bikes in the past with no issues and enjoyed increased miles before a change was required.

IndianaHarvey
I see that Metzeler's site now lists ME880s in 180/55 VR or ZR 17 and have VRs for the front.

That's odd. I just went to the Metzeler site and did not see the ME 880s in that size.

Dunlop Roadsmarts good confident tire in twisties and on slab got 9015

down to wire front and back

Not wishing to hijack this particular tyre thread but I regularly read threads on this forum about tyres and see similar quotes to the above about tyres worn down to the cords or until the wires are exposed. What is wrong with you people? Are you so obsessed with getting the very best mileage out of your tyres that you are prepared to sacrifice your and other road user's safety by continuing to use a tyre when it is clearly illegally worn. As a serving traffic police officer in the UK, if I stopped you and your tyres were so badly worn that there was cord or wire exposed you would probably be having your machine collected on a trailer and receiving a fine and points on your driving licence. If you are going to discuss reasonable tyre life then at least talk in terms of wear only down to the legal limit of tread depth. In the UK that is 1mm and at that tread depth a motorcycle tyre is not going to be performing very well on rain soaked highway and should be ridden with caution. At work we tend to change ours when they are worn down to 2mm at worst and by then the handling of the bike is usually compromised. We are running a fleet of R1200RT(P)s shod with Bridgestone BT020s and usually get around 3000 miles out of a rear tyre, sometimes less!

...Not wishing to hijack this particular tyre thread but I regularly read threads on this forum about tyres and see similar quotes to the above about tyres worn down to the cords or until the wires are exposed. What is wrong with you people? Are you so obsessed with getting the very best mileage out of your tyres that you are prepared to sacrifice your and other road user's safety by continuing to use a tyre when it is clearly illegally worn. As a serving traffic police officer in the UK, if I stopped you and your tyres were so badly worn that there was cord or wire exposed you would probably be having your machine collected on a trailer and receiving a fine and points on your driving licence. If you are going to discuss reasonable tyre life then at least talk in terms of wear only down to the legal limit of tread depth. In the UK that is 1mm and at that tread depth a motorcycle tyre is not going to be performing very well on rain soaked highway and should be ridden with caution. At work we tend to change ours when they are worn down to 2mm at worst and by then the handling of the bike is usually compromised. We are running a fleet of R1200RT(P)s shod with Bridgestone BT020s and usually get around 3000 miles out of a rear tyre, sometimes less!

I was thinking the same thing!

Of course in Southern California traction in the rain is seldom an issue. The handling of a tire is usually compromised before the tread is worn out. The current Dunlop Roadsmarts on the R1200RT are the first tires I have had that are wearing quite evenly all the way across. I have always had issues with fronts but since I avoid the slab as much as possible it is not usually a problem with wearing the center.

The Boxer Cup about halfway through the second set of tires with 3,400 total miles.

I stand corrected, the tires on the Metzeler site were 18 inch not 17..Tullamore Dew has affected my eyesight.....too bad, I have had good success with 880s. I encountered something in the road enroute to my 600 mile service and now have a new Pirelli Strata on the back. A plug got me to the dealer.

I stand corrected, the tires on the Metzeler site were 18 inch not 17..Tullamore Dew has affected my eyesight.....too bad, I have had good success with 880s. I encountered something in the road enroute to my 600 mile service and now have a new Pirelli Strata on the back. A plug got me to the dealer.

If you want to run MR880s, a 170/60-17 fits the rear rim and works very well.

... The handling of a tire is usually compromised before the tread is worn out. The current Dunlop Roadsmarts on the R1200RT are the first tires I have had that are wearing quite evenly all the way across.

My rear RoadSmart is going to an early grave thanks to an embedded nail found after a crazed run up and down Palomar Mountain, a blast down SR79 and an 130 mile ride back home. (I found the nail during a post-ride wash and inspection and am wondering when the h*ll I picked it up. Scary.) But the day's ride confirmed that the best tires for my $ are RoadSmarts. They're equal or better than PR2s for less money.

Shame about the nail. The tires only had 4,358 miles on them, and as GregB reported, the rear tire still had its original profile. I'll replace it unquestioningly with another RoadSmart later this week.

Thanks! That is what I thought and already disappointed. I am very easy on tires but 6k is much less that hoped.

Don't be disappointed. Think back 15-20 years ago and the state of motorcycle tire technology, and then think about what you're getting now. We get incredible traction, wet or dry, for 6-8000 miles. They could make you a harder tire that would last longer, but it wouldn't put as big a grin on your face or keep you near as safe. Pay your money, smile, and enjoy the ride!

Don't be disappointed. Think back 15-20 years ago and the state of motorcycle tire technology, and then think about what you're getting now. We get incredible traction, wet or dry, for 6-8000 miles. They could make you a harder tire that would last longer, but it wouldn't put as big a grin on your face or keep you near as safe. Pay your money, smile, and enjoy the ride!

:thumbsup: I agree. I'm not crazy about averaging 5-6K miles on an Avon Storm rear tire but greatly appreciate the improved traction in the turns & the overall confidence I feel with them on the bike.

This question may not have any relevance, but I have new after-market "Works" shocks on the Bike; am curious if they will make a difference in tire wear or tire wear pattern.

Archived