IGNORED

Odometer miles flashing

Rodney

I had my software updated last week and while the bike, 07 RT, is noticeably smoother, especially in the higher gears above 4000rpms, my odometer miles now flash. Trip miles don't and everything else works just fine. Dealer says he doesn't know what it means, but all the software was installed successfully. They'll gladly do it again, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if so, what it means?

Rod

Just to let you know it's curable, there's an inconsistancy somewhere because of the update. I'm sure you'll get the real answer here soon.

Mine had the same problem after the update. Dealer called regional rep and they got it reprogramed and the odometer quit flashing. It seems to be a bug in the dealer software, but there is a work around. I suggest you take it back to the dealer, after they have called the regional person and figured how to resolve the error.

Frustrated_Diver

Same thing happened to me. The explanation was that the two odometers (computer's and display's) got out of sync. Take that for what it's worth. The hypnotical scenario was that maybe the rear wheel got moved while the download was in progress. Anyway, the solution was to download the software again. No more flashing miles, just another Saturday spent at the dealership.

I beleive it's something to do with the "real" odometer is a module with a flash memory and the ECU also stores and displays the odometer. I think it's a regulatory thing so that a dealer cannot reset the odometer, but the ECU still keep it's own record of the odometer.

I think my dealer had a similar issue.

Did they replace your EWS ring before they updated your software? If so, when they were updating the mechanic had to input an answer to the question as to whether or not the ring was new or not. They answered "yes" when the answer is really "no". Guess how I know this?

The explanation was that the two odometers (computer's and display's) got out of sync

..Exact same issue with me. Took three attempts for the software to 'take'.

Craig

Archived