Saddlebag fell of and slid down the road.

brianbmw

Last night on my way home from work on a nice back road i here a strange scraping sound. I turn and look to my left and see my saddlebag sliding by me on the road. Now i have to figure out how to have it replaced since i don't have collision insurance coverage on my bike. It still works but both the lid and the bag itself look like hell.

Brian

Massachusetts

WOW! That's a strange moment in time when you see parts of your bike passsing you on the road. Was it waving and making faces? Ok. Kidding. How'd it escape it's bonds? I've always been bag paranoid. Maybe I/we can learn something from your misfortune.

Maybe some fiberglass and bondo can help out your repairs? I've fixed many a bag with that stuff.

Looking at Brian's profile, it is a 2005 R1200ST, same bags as a R1200RT. The only way I've seen these bags come loose if when installing the bottom mount of the bag is not slid over the mount on the frame.

Classifieds. The lids and the bags can be acquired separately.

ibmwr.org also has classifieds. BeemerBoneyard.com

Why did it fall off? Broken mount bike-side? Broken mount-bag side?

You should be able to get it repainted by a body shop. For the scratches, sand off the paint around the area and fill in the cracks with bondo. Then keep sanding using finer and finer paper up to 1000 grit. For cracks, fiberglass and bondo to smooth them. It will never be perfect, but it should be much better.

I lowsided my CBR600F4i the 3rd month I owned it. I bondo'd, sanded and repainted the one side myself, then removed the decals on the other side to match. It wasn't perfect, but I could live with it.

Ya it's a 1200ST with color matched bags. I will probably have the guy who painted them originally take care of it. I'm just hoping i can figure out a way to use the insurance company to recoupe some of the cost.

I'm not sure what happened, nothings broken.

Brian

On my RT I broke or broke by itself the small tab that pushes against the frame rail when you push down the handle. And the bag was very loose in the vertical direction until it was replaced.

You may want to check the action on that to make sure it sets or seats correctly.

I am told bondo will not work on these lids due to the type of material they use. Look on ibmwr.org and beemerboneyard for lids. I scratched up the right side painted lid and purchased black lids so now I have two sets of lids. The black lids list for $170 vs. $400 for a painted ones and they look great. Buy them from BMW Chicago and take advantage of a 20% discount.

P.S. One bit of advice. Before you take off each time make sure the lid is fully latched on your bags or it could open and scrape on the front left/right corner. Please don't even ask me how I know. :cry:

Archived