IGNORED

Hi all

heinlein

I just bought a 2000 R1100RTP; but I haven't taken possession yet. If there is anything I should know about these motors I would sure appreciate your thoughts.

HA HA HA! Boy you stepped in it now...

Seriously. Just look at the posts on this board. Issues; good and bad are covered over and over again.

Go to the oilheads section and just read everything. Have fun :thumbsup:

I just bought a 2000 R1100RTP; but I haven't taken possession yet. If there is anything I should know about these motors I would sure appreciate your thoughts.

Heinlein, LOTS of quality postings here on about anything you can think to ask.. Probably should try the search function first then use that as a basis to ask more direct questions..

Lots to learn by searching the archives here..

Just click the search box in the upper bar then follow the picture below..

search-5.jpg

Twisty

How many miles on the bike?

What is the maintenance history?

You have found a great web site for technical assistance.

Get a manual - learn to change all the fluids.

Read the maintenance schedules and compile a list of periodic preventive maintenance procedures like air filter and fuel filter replacements.

Ride the bike and report your impressions and concerns ... BWMST folks will assist you with opinions, advice, knowledge and referrals.

Find a Tech Day in your riding area and GO THERE! There is no better way to learn to maintain your bike.

I just bought a 2000 R1100RTP;..... I would sure appreciate your thoughts.

Welcome to the forum.

Remember when you read these pages that people generally post here because they are looking for solutions to problems. MANY MANY more people just scan these pages because they don't have problems. Please don't get a skewed picture of these bikes thinking that they are a bike waiting to explode. It is just because folk are so passionate about these particular bikes that there tends to be so much info. Herein lies their biggest strength - most folk have been there and done that.

As twisty has said, call up searches for the R1100RTP and then you will follow other threads that will give you an overall picture of the Oilhead in general.

Main things that have come up over time have been Gearbox input shaft mis-alignment, clutch spline lubrication, final drive failures, surging, and screen/tyre/oil choices.

Buy wisely, scrutinise the bike, service it, then enjoy.

Andy

Main things that have come up over time have been Gearbox input shaft mis-alignment, clutch spline lubrication, final drive failures, surging, and screen/tyre/oil choices.

Well, I've never seen them all lined up like that but he's right -- that's pretty much it; and chances are you won't run into any of those issues.

Enjoy your ride and welcome to the board! :grin:

Also search for R1100RT-P. It makes a difference. :thumbsup:

Please fill out your profile. That would make it much easier to invite you to a TechDaze or something, so we can "test" your new ride appropriately. :eek:

I've had for 19K miles now, and it hasn't been in to the dealer yet. (This winter will probably be the time--clutch & ABS problem are beyond my scope. :cry: )

Welcome!

I hope they did a better job decommissioning your ride than they did mine. if they just cut the wires to the sireen, redlights

etc, you may experience a short when you get it out in the rain.

It cost me plenty to have a dealer replace the main loom. Other than that, its been a dependable ride for 60+ k miles (on lop of

the 60k of CHP service).

Rahbert brings up a good point. Who decommissioned the bike?

If it was a dealer, through BMW NA, then it's probably pretty clean. If it came through some other route, then it's really a toss-up. (Actually, all the electrics on the RTPs are pretty much a toss-up. Each department wired up whatever they wanted, so it's really a free-for-all.)

I bought it from Hollywood Motors of Canoga Park who supposedly got it straight from the CHP with 56K miles. It is supposed to run excellent and look great with good tires saddle bags etc. and has a 1000 mile or one month warranty.

56K is interesting. The CHP contract that covered the R1100 series included BMW buying back the bikes at 60K, regardless of condition. Hopefully yours was turned in due to replacement, and not "damaged".

Did they leave any of the lights, sirens, horns, switches, throttle controls? Any service manuals with maintenance info?

Archived