IGNORED

Tank Bag Switch-A-Roo

lvmyks

I have a new BMW RT Tank Bag. The bag is to Large for me. I would like to remove the bag and use the Neet Quick Release on a smaller bag. Has anyone did this type of Switching??? And which type of bag did you use?? Next if this works will sell the BMW Bag only in the classifieds.

I have a new BMW RT Tank Bag. The bag is to Large for me. I would like to remove the bag and use the Neet Quick Release on a smaller bag. Has anyone did this type of Switching??? And which type of bag did you use?? Next if this works will sell the BMW Bag only in the classifieds.

Do you mean you want to use the base from the BMW bag and mount another bag to it, or is "Neet Quick Release" some kind of product?

FWIW, we sold our BMW bags in the classifieds (sold 'em both overnight, three inquiries, hot items for sure) after considering modifying the bags. Fact is there are just too many good bags out there and we got what we wanted for less than we sold for. Anyway, I agree the BMW bag is too big and interferes with riding.

Jan

I removed the BMW Tank bag from its mounting plate and chucked it in the trash. The size wasn't the issue for me, I just thought it was of poor quality & design the $300+ it cost.

I took a Wolfman Denali tank bag from a previous F450-GS and used pop-rivets w/washers to secure it to the original RT tank bag mount using the same mounting points.

I removed the BMW Tank bag from its mounting plate and chucked it in the trash. The size wasn't the issue for me, I just thought it was of poor quality & design the $300+ it cost.

I took a Wolfman Denali tank bag from a previous F450-GS and used pop-rivets w/washers to secure it to the original RT tank bag mount using the same mounting points.

I did the same thing with a Wolfman Explorer bag. I wanted outside pockets and the BMW bag didn't have them.

... from a previous F450-GS and used pop-rivets w/washers to secure it to the original RT tank bag mount using the same mounting points.

Not that it matters, but I meant to type F650-GS; not F450-GS. :dopeslap:

Lone_RT_rider

I have a Big Mak that I have done the same thing with...

Been there.....

302255816_s9APz-L.jpg

Done that.....

302256684_RNs4B-L.jpg

Love it!

302256562_ryKKs-L.jpg

Shawn

Nice n Easy Rider

Shawn,

I can't quite tell from the pictures but does your gps mount clear the tank bag OK on left hand turns?

Lone_RT_rider

I have the option to do both, but in that picture it is mounted with a bracket (Ram mount from Cyclegadgets) on the clutch reservoir. Having it on the tank bag can block some of the view to the things below the speedo and tach.

Shawn

My OEM tank bag is wearing out so I started researching alternative bags that could possibly be mated to the rail mounting bracket. Here's some initial info.

BMW R12100RT

Tank Bag Comparison

OEM BMW Bag: L: 14” W: 12” H: 8” (F), 10” ®

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39128

Wolfman “Explorer”* Bag: L: 11¾” W: 8¾” (F) H: 6¾” (F),

10.¾” ® 10” ®

*n.b.: can expand to 13.5” H (F)

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/Explorer.html

Wolfman “Explorer Lite” Bag: L: 11” W: 8¾” H: 4.5” (F),

81/4” ®

*n.b.: can expand to 11.5” H (F)

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/ExplorerLite.html

Touratech “Flat” Bag: L: 12” W: 10.5” H: 4.5” (F), 8” ®

*n.b.: can expand to 10” H (F)

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?sku=055-1154&-session=touratech:47FCB6E9191980F1D4Whu2BC0FC

Really like the Touratech bag (saw on Limecreek's (Greg Clark) bike at one of his tech days) but concerned it's too small.

Wolfman Explorer Lite may be the way to go. Also, Mistral (Ron Spratlen)found this site for custom made bags: www.customtankbags.com

Hi Mike,

As you saw in the pic, I put the Wolfman Explorer on my mounting plate. It was a little too big but worked ok. It did touch at full lock but I only use full lock when turning in the garage. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the Explorer Lite.

Yet another option. I contacted Linda at (http://www.customtankbags.com/).

She removed my old tank-bag that had started to fade, and made a replacement

to my specs and attached it.

This is a great alternative to get one the size you want with pockets and acc that you want where you want them. You are also able to chose the color you want it.

Hmm, interesting ideas. I got the BMW bag but only because of the slick mounting system. I agree many other bags are preferable, including my old self-electrified Marsee. Hadn't thought about just moving the plate. Darn thing is too expensive to buy another one just for the plate though!

Plain mounting plates seem like a GREAT aftermarket opportunity.

Hi Mike,

As you saw in the pic, I put the Wolfman Explorer on my mounting plate. It was a little too big but worked ok. It did touch at full lock but I only use full lock when turning in the garage. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the Explorer Lite.

Hello John,

Yup, I think you're right; the "Explorer Lite" is probably what I'll end up doing; the "Touratech" just seems a little too small.

Let us know the next time you're coming back this way so we can get together.

Don't forget Mike, the Silver City Bash is this weekend and it's just a short 700+ mile jaunt. The Alpine loop on Saturday will be spectacular!!

john

Sorry to sound stupid, but what is the silver city bash and where? thanks. No one has still said if the mount for the Bmw Bag is sold seperatly, anyone???

Sorry to sound stupid, but what is the silver city bash and where? thanks. No one has still said if the mount for the Bmw Bag is sold seperatly, anyone???

Check it out: Link

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody been able to find out if BMW sell the mount separately or alternatively anybody want to sell a damaged RT Tank Bag ? > I would like to adapt the base to my current bag (Wunderlich)

Thanks

I bought a used one on eBay - took off the RT BMW Bag and installed a small RKA bag for day rides. Now I have both on that really cool latch system. If I am going overnight I pull out the big original one, if a day ride and put on the smaller one.

I suspect that you could order the base plate - probably expensive though.

Archived