IGNORED

R1100 starter and oxygen sensor

mshuell

Greetings,

The 1996 RT spent the weekend stripped of tupperware. Over the summer the starter was balky a few times. I've discovered that when mechanical items are nice enough to give me a warning, I need to pay attention. If I ignore the warning, bad things invariably happen. I don't have the skills to take a starter apart and rebuild it. So, a new starter is the answer.

Also, the gas mileage has been going down of late. Since all the plastic was off the bike, I decided to replace the oxygen sensor. I do not find this bike easy to work on, but both jobs were uneventful.

The main point of this story is to thank everyone who contributes to this board. I have learned so much. I am not an accomplished mechanic. I'm a semi-competent parts changer. Without the information provided by the good people of this board, there is no way I would have attempted these jobs.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

As to rebuilding the starter, it's not that difficult of an operation. There is a pretty good description of the process on the ADVrider forum under the Wisdom section. (botton of the web page in white hard to read print.)

Don't know yet if it has helped the gas mileage. We've been stuck in a 40 degrees and rain pattern since I replaced it. Hopefully I'll get some riding in this weekend before I button it up for the winter. This is Michigan, we'll have snow shortly.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

The starter is a doddle once you have the tupperware off :)

My R1100R starter would balk at times and make it appear that the battery was almost dead. Even with a new battery, it did the same, so I took the starter off, removed the aluminum bendix cover (easy!) and cleaned some grunge off the bendix mechanism. I also noticed that the drive cog bearing (it only rotates in one direction) was quite hard to turn. I cleaned it all off with MAF sensor cleaner then lightly oiled it and worked it around a few times and ran it up and down the splines. Now works just fine.....!

The 1996 RT spent the weekend stripped of tupperware. Over the summer the starter was balky a few times. I've discovered that when mechanical items are nice enough to give me a warning,

If starter is balky might also be a good idea to check entire charging system. The starter could INDEED have been the only problem, but if there are other issues in the charging system new starer could fail prematurely. Just a suggestion.

The 1996 RT spent the weekend stripped of tupperware. Over the summer the starter was balky a few times. I've discovered that when mechanical items are nice enough to give me a warning,

If starter is balky might also be a good idea to check entire charging system. The starter could INDEED have been the only problem, but if there are other issues in the charging system new starer could fail prematurely. Just a suggestion.

my starter was balky, it finally lunched the permanent magnets, which I later found on here can fall off :( so you might want to search on how to check and reglue as required ;)

Archived