IGNORED

Some old bikes for sale - are these good prices?

Blue Beemer Dude

Blue Beemer Dude

I was chatting with the guy at my local sandwich shop and his grandfather has a few old Beemers for sale, and I thought it may be a good opportunity to get something to tinker with, fix up and sell. Maybe ride a little bit, who knows. But I know nothing about pricing and such on the older bikes.

So what do you guys think? I've copied his descriptions below.

Thanks,

Michael

----------------

The black 1978 R100/7 has about 90,000 miles on it. It will need a new hydraulic brake light switch and probably most rubber parts, as it has sat for a while. The tires have lots of tread, but again they may need to be replaced since the bike hasn't been on the road. Asking $2,800.

The red 1984 R65LS has about 50,000 miles on it. It needs a master cylinder and again the rubber parts will probably need replacement, same story with the tires. Asking $2,700.

The blue 1986 R65 has about 35,000 miles on it. It needs an ignition coil and again probably some rubber parts and tires. Asking $2800.

John Ranalletta

Michael, I got bit by the "old bike" bug this year. I picked up a '73 Ducati bevelhead for cheap (less than $1k). I now have nearly $4k in the bike. Now, that's probably an extreme example and you can get the BMW bikes up and running for less. If you buy one, assume you'd have to invest another $1.5-$2k plus your time to get it to a reliable condition, especially if it has to spend any time in the shop.

I think it was worth it as I really enjoy riding the Ducati; and, if you're into wrenching and cleaning, I'd go for one of them.

A bit high, IMHO.

I have a 1980 R100RT w/ 47K sitting in my garage. Needs new rubber parts, a battery, and a carb cleanup. (Only running on one cylinder due to a gummed up carb). I was offered $1,500, if I got it running. Not quite enough to get me moving on it. :o

I believe they are all a bit high. I've seen many /7s with less than half that milage go for less money. The R65s are a bit unusual and it may depend on condition but for all that mileage it would seem to demand a lower price.

Depends on condition, cosmetically, and then mechanically.

New tires most likely.

I sold a 1980 R100RT w/XXX miles (speedo broke at 89,000) for $2500 in 2005, owner invested $1500 in paint, windscreen, dual plugs, (it was in excellent running order) and eventually sold it for $4500 as it looked great.

Getting a "sat for a while" bike running is often very expensive, compare to the "worth" of the bike.

Once in a while, the gas tank is OK, carbs need rebuild, and voila, lkie new.

But, the prices you related are on the high side for unknown mechanical condition, unless they are nearly flawless and original, cosmetically, IMO.

One "project" biker is a challenge", several may be a quick trip to the loony bin, or, conversely a great bit of fun for the right temperment and wallet.

Best wishes.

All of these prices are high. Bikes are being dumped at an unprecedented rate! Craiglist has some 50 bikes per day in my area of NJ alone. I've seen bikes with this type of mileage advertised for 20-30% less.

-MKL

Dave in Doodah

You could try this site (linked here):

Kelley Blue Book motorcycles, etc

to get some idea but I would think, with bikes that old, there are many intangibles that affect value. The previous comments touched on many of those... does it run well or need work up front, have new tires, etc.

I plan on selling my '83 R100RT in the near future and will use that site to give me an idea, as well as selling prices for other bikes on Craig's and eBay. My bike is a daily driver, in great mechanical condition; but cosmetically needs some work. I am the 2nd owner and put 92K of the 97K miles on it, and have all the maint/repair records. I am also pretty enamored with the bike and will surely ask for more than she is worth due to 20 years of bondinng.

I would not worry too much about the asking price and, if you find one you like, just make an offer and see what happens...

I think those asking prices are about 20% high myself but not if they find just the right buyer,

Oddly enough I'm currently advertising my restored '73 R75/5 for way more than that but the condition is night-and-day versus what those describe.

I was chatting with the guy at my local sandwich shop and his grandfather has a few old Beemers for sale, and I thought it may be a good opportunity to get something to tinker with, fix up and sell. Maybe ride a little bit, who knows. But I know nothing about pricing and such on the older bikes.

So what do you guys think? I've copied his descriptions below.

Thanks,

Michael

----------------

The black 1978 R100/7 has about 90,000 miles on it. It will need a new hydraulic brake light switch and probably most rubber parts, as it has sat for a while. The tires have lots of tread, but again they may need to be replaced since the bike hasn't been on the road. Asking $2,800.

The red 1984 R65LS has about 50,000 miles on it. It needs a master cylinder and again the rubber parts will probably need replacement, same story with the tires. Asking $2,700.

The blue 1986 R65 has about 35,000 miles on it. It needs an ignition coil and again probably some rubber parts and tires. Asking $2800.

I would expect that you should be able to pick up either of the bikes for the price of a used VW beetle. About $1,500 to $1,800.

I'm gonna go against the tide and suggest that the /7 is likely a fair price, or perhaps even a bargain. I sold my r100/7 two years ago on ebay for $1500. It was really a bad, rode hard and put away wet piece of junk. The whole dang thing was falling apart, but it still ran well enough for a daily commute. If it still looks like a '98 bike with 90K on the clock, it's a good price. If it reminds you of the rusty corollas you see at Schuck's Auto Supply, with the owner working on it in the parking lot.... maybe not so much.

On the other hand: Money's tight, gas is coming down, and winter is setting in. It's a bad time to be selling.... He's retired, his 401K is in the tank, he's not riding.... offer him $1500.

Blue Beemer Dude

Thanks everyone! I suspected that the prices were a bit high, and most of you confirmed that. It gives me a better feeling about passing on these.

Michael

While on the subject a friend of mine has a 1988 r100rt with 30,000 mi and is asking $2000. It's been stored in his garage for 5+ years so I know it will need some work but is this a decent price? I haven't seen it yet so cant tell you the general condition but from what he says it's in great shape.

Thanks Bill

Bill,

jump on it 30k is barely broken in. My buddy sold a 90/6 with 36k last year for $3000.I received $2200 for my 90/5 with 65k and the buyer sold as parts for over 4 grand!

Archived