IGNORED

Washington to California Trip

Adventure Rick

Adventure Rick

I recently got off deployment and immediately retired from the Navy. My retirement gift (to myself) was a '98 R1100RT-P. Just getting the bike was a story in itself. I'll save that for another day.

Though I'm a newbie to 2-wheeled BMW's, I had no problem trusting a Roundel-clad product on a long journey (my 325iS has 125k and still runs like a jackrabbit on crack).

My best friend Mike and I made plans to ride from Oak Harbor (Whidbey Island), WA to SoCal, staying off the interstates as much as possible, but still making some of our desired stops along the way:

- Our friend Al in Veneta, OR

- Mike's Dad, near Sutherlin, OR

- Crater Lake N.P.

- Klamath Falls, OR

- Golden Gate Bridge

- Hearst Castle

Our southern terminus was NAS Point Mugu, though we headed back north together for a while so I could make it home to California City (in the Mojave Desert). I rode a couple hours north with him to Lone Pine, CA and left him to be on his way back to WA by himself. I wish I could have gone with him, but my place was here. He's an experience iron-butter and I knew he could handle it.

You can check out my web site for lots pictures and stories.

http://web.mac.com/ibnfe2/Rick/Trips/Pages/WA-2-CA_2.html

Though I'm a newbie to 2-wheeled BMW's, I had no problem trusting a Roundel-clad product on a long journey (my 325iS has 125k and still runs like a jackrabbit on crack).

My best friend Mike and I made plans to ride from Oak Harbor (Whidbey Island), WA to SoCal, staying off the interstates as much as possible, but still making some of our desired stops along the way:

- Our friend Al in Veneta, OR

- Mike's Dad, near Sutherlin, OR

- Crater Lake N.P.

- Klamath Falls, OR

- Golden Gate Bridge

- Hearst Castle

Our southern terminus was NAS Point Mugu, though we headed back north together for a while so I could make it home to California City (in the Mojave Desert). I rode a couple hours north with him to Lone Pine, CA and left him to be on his way back to WA by himself. I wish I could have gone with him, but my place was here. He's an experience iron-butter and I knew he could handle it.

You can check out my web site for lots pictures and stories.

[url=http://web.mac.com/ibnfe2/Rick/Trips/Pages/WA-2-CA_2.html'>WA-2-CA Motorcycle Trip

DaveTheAffable

Welcome, welcome, .... and did I say Welcome?

Great pictures and story. The link worked for me.

Thanks for your years of service! :clap:

Nice pics. I've been up to Whidbey twice to talk about the Army's version of EW a couple of years ago. Talk about beautiful country up there.

Mike

CoarsegoldKid

Port Townsend to Whidbey Island crossing. Brings back memories of my leaking final drive seal and a tow to Seattle for repairs on my eventual trip to John Day.

Welcome. DV pre run is just around the corner.

I was on that Ferry this summer on my trip from Calgary to Crescent City. It was windy - I am a land-lubber and puked half way over. But stayed at a fantastic B&B in Port Townsend, took in a Lavender Farm in Sequim (place was called Purple Haze, address: Bell Bottom Road). The whole think seems surreal now.

• 1 month later...
Adventure Rick

Mike and I are planning another trek in 2010 when HE retires. This one's going to be even longer! We're going to circumnavigate the country. Not sure yet whether we're going to go clockwise or counterclockwise, yet. I have to get working on getting a trailer!

Any other takers?

AdventurePoser
Mike and I are planning another trek in 2010 when HE retires. This one's going to be even longer! We're going to circumnavigate the country. Not sure yet whether we're going to go clockwise or counterclockwise, yet. I have to get working on getting a trailer!

Any other takers?

Rick,

Thanks for your years of service! BTW, to circumnavigate the country you don't need a trailer. Bring a cell phone, credit card, and a rainsuit. You are good to go!

Steve in Glendora CA

Archived