IGNORED

Advice needed for leaky fuel line

gthorpe

On my '04 R1150RT there is a gas leak which appears to come from one of the quick connects above the right cylinder head. I went to my local BMW dealer and found out the plastic quick connects have been replaced by steel ones which cost $70 EACH ! wow !

Hopefully someone can advise me where to get some for less, I don't care if they are plastic.

Also, I hear these fuel leaks are a common problem, should I replace more than the quick connect ?

Thanks,

Thanks for the replies, I'll try the o-rings to see if that solves the problem.

If I end up changing out the quick disconnects is there a special tool to remove the hose clamp, or do I cut it off and crimp on a new one ?

pried mine open with a smaller screwdriver. ended up with new auto type screw clamps when the new QD's were installed.

Remember these are FI lines running at 45PSI, ordinary screw clamps are not rated for this apllication - only FI clamps should be used.

Andy

Same goes for the hose as well use only Fuel injection hose. May want to replace the hoses while you are there. You will only need two feet of FI hose. It is a lot easier to replace the hose than it is to pull the old QD off. I just did mine. and replacing the hose means you will still have to remove four of the factory crimps. The same number if you just replace the connectors.

pried mine open with a smaller screwdriver. ended up with new auto type screw clamps when the new QD's were installed.

Remember these are FI lines running at 45PSI, ordinary screw clamps are not rated for this apllication - only FI clamps should be used.

Andy

came with the aftermarket QD's from jiffy-tite. not just simple screw type.

OK , I took the tupperware off and its pretty clear the tank has to be removed to replace the fuel line.

Does anyone know the size of FI line I need (I.D., O.D.) ?

...... I don't care if they are plastic.

The male section of the disconnect system is the one that fails.

The cheapest way would be to replace just the male section with a metal one for $17 (x2).

I'm pretty sure the fuel line id is 5/16. Also a source for steel/metal quick disconnects is Beemerboneyard.com. I thin he charges about $80 for the set.

I understand there is a recall on the fuel line quick disconnects. Has it been done on this bike?

I still need to get my 04 R1150RS in for this recall.

5/16 inch ID FI hose is a close but not exact match to the OEM hoses. In particular, it has a larger OD, so that I needed one-size-larger Oetiker clamps than for the OEM hose.

Something to watch for: one of the OEM hoses from the fuel tank is molded with an elbow shape in it, so that the hose turns a corner nicely without coming close to touching anything hot on the engine. For me, when I installed new quick disconnects, one of the challenges was fitting my new elbow-less 5/16 ID FI hose so that it doesn't touch the fins on the right-side engine cylinder. I had to experiment with cutting the length down just right, and using tie-wraps to hold the two hoses together to keep one of them from touching that engine cylinder.

so is changing the hoses.

You are still removing only four factory clamps. Though you do have to have eight new clamps.

It is not much more of an expense.

Doesn't take any more time.

You dont have to fight the hose to give up the quick connect.

One of my hoses looked iffy.

Archived